Suspension oil alternatives?

Hardtailrider

Any suggestions for good suspension grease that I can buy in or around the Stellenbosch area?

red rubber grease or Motorex Prep M

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for my ignorance but where is grease used on a shock - have only serviced Fox?

The air spring assembly in RS forks is lubricated with grease, and some Manitous use grease in the lowers.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my ignorance but where is grease used on a shock - have only serviced Fox?

Google "Judy butter" and it's intended purpose.

Mr Droo. if I want to do oil change on my RS (Spec Brian) what is the best oil to use? Thanks

KY, because they will rip your ring out if you if you decide to do your own brain fork.

Thanks allot.

I see they dont have 15wt which is what I am looking for along with other stuff that they do have. Thanks for the help though.

Rockshox lowers? Get Castrol Magnatec 5w from your local Midas.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi guys

I want to service the lowers on my Fox Float 34

post-14677-0-96201200-1479887549_thumb.jpg

I see I need Fox Float Fluid and Suspension Fluid. Any idea if there is a alternative oils I can use that I will get at Midas or something?

Hi guys

I want to service the lowers on my Fox Float 34

attachicon.giffox_float_34_ctd-702x336.jpg

I see I need Fox Float Fluid and Suspension Fluid. Any idea if there is a alternative oils I can use that I will get at Midas or something?

I have the same fork exactly. All you need for a lowers service is a decent lubricating oil of 15wt to 20wt.

NOTE : lubricating oil, not hydraulic damper oil. There is a difference. In the days before Fox Gold, Fox used 10wt Green (lubricating) for lowers and 10wt Red for dampers.

In a pinch you can use a 10W30 or 15W40 multigrade motor oil but I suggest you try and source a litre bottle of Fox 20wt Gold made specifically for this purpose. Slippery as live eels and you can feel the difference when you ride it. Been using it on my fork since new.

You don't need damper oil ( Fox 10wt Red) or Float Fluid (Blue, approx. 80wt) for a lowers service but will need these or suitable alternatives for damper cartridge and airspring service respectively ( Your fork is the Factory Kashima version so guessing it has a FiT damper).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

• 1 year later...

I kniw it’s been a loooong time sinve any action on this tread, but if any one are out there:

1. Can i use 10w Castrol in the sponges/ dust seals on RS SID and not 15w?

2. Bel-ray HVI 5w in the RS SID XX WC damper?

3. Castrol 10w in lowers?

Thanks Stef.