Cape Town Giants at Durbanville HS FUNRIDE!

lucmccann

It's interesting to see how people jump to conclusions after only hearing one side to a story

Eish, careful there noob.... this is the Hub, not kindergarten!

Anyway, their reputation precedes them. If my cycling mates say the CTG's are A-holes, then that's good enough for me.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he has made his point about the road closures ....etc ...I read nothing else in his statement....if you see anything else ...let us know ....

These one post wonders never seem to return so we will be waiting for a while

No disrespect to anyone lower down but the racing happens up front not in K-L, they won nothing except a prize for being pathetic and caught up in there own world while endangering others.

True, I race against my own demons for my own pleasure far away from the race snakes up front and the madding crowd behind. There's no place in K-L, or any starting group, for arrogance, ego's and Cape Town Giant A-Holes.

I think i'll be doing that... might just point them towards this thread to try get a public response as to how they'll handle it.

Luc, just send the chairman a link to this fred. Your opening post is self explanatory!

Relatively stronger riders do not make good cyclists.

Good cyclists know 3 things:

1. There's always someone faster than you. So, stay humble.

2. When you started, you too were slower and unskilled. So, respect others.

3. When you wear a club or national kit, make the brand proud. You're an ambassador.

Cape Town Giants, there's been numerous reports and concerns beyond today.

Please teach the young ones well.

There 1st race Team started in K-L and apparently won the Group. Must have been them....But Yes, absolutely not acceptable.

I rode in the K-L group and Must say that the Giant guys did not misbehave at all. We started togehter and finished together. It might of been another starting group as they are a big club.

I rode in the K-L group and Must say that the Giant guys did not misbehave at all. We started togehter and finished together. It might of been another starting group as they are a big club.

It was a group lower down because i started in M and they caught us near the end.

So going into this ride I had decided to drop down to M to do "domestique" duties for a less fit mate of mine. Considering the near 700kms i'd already done this past week I was more than happy to push him up the climbs, pull him on the flats and stop to help others that had punctured. I was having an awesome, slow training ride and met loads of great people. :)

That was until around 3kms to go where a couple of us were greeted with an out-of-tone chant of "GET LEFT!", we took up single file and hugged the tiniest bit of tar on the left-hand side, giving the entire lane to the bunch coming through...but, to my disappoint, instead of being passed smoothly I was given a strong elbow to the back by 1 of the Cape Town Giants riders, resulting in me riding a few metres in the gravel and luckily staying on my bike, I figured it was an honest mistake so i'd leave it.

But it seemed I was wrong, over the next 2kms one of the Cape Town Giants riders dropped a water bottle and instead of warning the others in the bunch, about this potentially very dangerous obstacle, him and one of his Cape Town Giants mates had a nice little chuckle about it. There was also an elbow to a guy on a MTB in these dying kms, ending with him not so gracefully meeting with the gravel gutter off the side of the road. (hope you're alright dude?)

I decided then that I wasn't too happy with all of this, so I went to the front of the bunch and told one of the Cape Town Giants riders to get his group to calm down and ride with a little more respect, to which I got the response "Jy, if you can't handle it then don't ride in a peloton!"

I personally felt it was more of a group of a$$h@les than a peloton but, considering we were about to hit the last "bump", decided to take his advice anyway and dropped them faster than a college girls delicates.

So basically Cape Town Giants, if you are going to be that aggressive and that much of a deck on a bike, you need to be able to back it up...or just be a bit friendlier and then others will probably return the favour.

Happy Monday All! :)

P.S. I'm glad you didn't ruin my ride, but you might have ruined others'.

Hi there,

Just a thought, what I would have done was first to report it to the race organisers, then together or singularly, lay a complaint with the club chairman or executive committee members; await for a response (1 week from date of email complaint) and depending on whether you are satisfied with the outcome or not, only then decide to post it on a forum of his nature. In this way no one can question motives and the matter hopefully would then be satisfactorily resolved, All that what has happened now is a general negative view being adopted of the entire club and its members and in future any member that is identified belonging to the club will be "frowned" upon at events. I think this is unfair because as an an unknown victim you would want fair retribution of some sort yet the current approach adopted produced the opposite result adding fuel to the fire based on the current comments already received thus far.

I hope I have not stirred up further emotions and set the tone for some solid debate arround race riding etiquette in general. Please accept my thoughts as an option on how to deal with similar issues of this nature and accept my apology if i unintentionally offended anyone in the process.

Happy Monday All!

Hi there,

Just a thought, what I would have done was first to report it to the race organisers, then together or singularly, lay a complaint with the club chairman or executive committee members; await for a response (1 week from date of email complaint) and depending on whether you are satisfied with the outcome or not, only then decide to post it on a forum of his nature. In this way no one can question motives and the matter hopefully would then be satisfactorily resolved, All that what has happened now is a general negative view being adopted of the entire club and its members and in future any member that is identified belonging to the club will be "frowned" upon at events. I think this is unfair because as an an unknown victim you would want fair retribution of some sort yet the current approach adopted produced the opposite result adding fuel to the fire based on the current comments already received thus far.

I hope I have not stirred up further emotions and set the tone for some solid debate arround race riding etiquette in general. Please accept my thoughts as an option on how to deal with similar issues of this nature and accept my apology if i unintentionally offended anyone in the process.

Happy Monday All!

By posting here before contacting the club themselves I was providing a base for others who may have been affected by the clubs actions in any other way to bring their point across. As you have probably seen there have been other instances, I have also received a PM from a former member giving me his thoughts on the club and why he eventually chose to leave them.

I have now got a better point to bring across to the clubs attention as well as feel I have done my duty to warn fellow cyclists about potential dangers.

Hi there,

Happy Monday All!

I've never had the misfortune of dealing with a group of the kind described by the OP, and any Cape Town Giants riding in the higher groups have never been even vaguely aggressive as far as I have seen. But I also think that if the above mentioned behaviour is even slightly accurate, you or whomever has authority at the Club should be jumping all over this. This is a safety issue, not a political one.

Edited by Thor Buttox

Hi there,

Happy Monday All!

also having worked a bit in service delivery 1 week for a response to an email complaint is absolutely shocking and would do nothing to improve the image of the club!

I've never had the misfortune of dealing with a group of the kind described by the OP, and any Cape Town Giants riding in the higher groups have never been even vaguely aggressive as far as I have seen. But I also think that if the above mentioned behaviour is even slightly accurate, you or whomever has authority at the Club should be jumping all over this. This is a safety issue, not a political one.

And not posting a guide on how to OP should have responded to the incident

Hi there,

Happy Monday All!

Doesn't feel good to be bullied, does it?

The Hub is merely dishing out a little today of what SOME of Team CTG dished out to unsuspecting riders on Saturday. We come here to vent, we don't do it on the roads.

Unfortunately the Team CTG guilty parties didn't have the courtesy to send an email to M starting group, or wait for a week before they behaved like hooligans. A few bad apples serve to tar the entire basket with the same brush. Fair exchange is no robbery. A little racing etiquette would go a long way.

Edited by Brogue

And not posting a guide on how to OP should have responded to the incident

Yup... like I posted on the Durbanville race thread, the Cedar club also could teach their youngsters a few things about etiquette from a safety point of view, and some of the older Cedar guys were actually screaming at them to stop it, but racing up the outside of the white line en masse isn't the same as pushing kids off their bikes (allegedly :) )

By posting here before contacting the club themselves I was providing a base for others who may have been affected by the clubs actions in any other way to bring their point across. As you have probably seen there have been other instances, I have also received a PM from a former member giving me his thoughts on the club and why he eventually chose to leave them.

I have now got a better point to bring across to the clubs attention as well as feel I have done my duty to warn fellow cyclists about potential dangers.

You have the right to do it in which ever order you feel befiiting and the outcome will be the proof of your efforts. I merely provided an alternative to others who may have similar issues on a sensitive issue of riding etiquette. There will always be current or past members who are disgruntled with the club they belong to but that is a separate debate altogether and the merits of each case can be dealt with on its own. We must confus the different issues and I am not defending anyone in this regard but merely highlighting the need to seek alternative communication channels that does not judge/reflect poorly on the entire club because of a handful of club riders who could on another day, not have belonged to any club for that matter.

I hope this explains my approach a little bit better.