Travelling to Lesotho

JGR

This week - maybe Thursday

Anyone have any info about security? Safe to leave bikes lockedon the back of the car, go riding into the middle of no where?

Security will be no problem at either Roma or Ramabanta. Lock down will be fine.

There are infinite tracks available, as all land is communal and no fences. Just take a GPS to keep track of where you are and to find your way bay.

For bookings at Roma & Ramabanta.

Jenny - 0827732180

tradingpost@leo.co.ls

If you are going just for one weekend, then I recommend Ramabanta.

Be prepared to hear.....

'sweets......sweets.......sweets.....!'

Even when we couldnt see anyone, thats what we heard from locals on our trip!

Stunning country though, would go back in a heartbeat.

This week - maybe Thursday

Anyone have any info about security? Safe to leave bikes lockedon the back of the car, go riding into the middle of no where?

The local kids will probably ask you to give your bike to them as you ride past. That's about as close to being bike jacked as you'll get.

I wouldn't recommend riding around alone though. Some of the roads and trails are properly gnarly, and if you're out in the mountains somewhere and bail it could be a while before anyone finds you.

Be prepared to hear.....

'sweets......sweets.......sweets.....!'

Even when we couldnt see anyone, thats what we heard from locals on our trip!

Stunning country though, would go back in a heartbeat.

LOL - reminds me of growing up in the ECape and Transkei ...... SSSSSwwwwwwwweeeeeeetttttssss

LOL - reminds me of growing up in the ECape and Transkei ...... SSSSSwwwwwwwweeeeeeetttttssss

I read on a 4x4 forum that people were appealing to travellers not to give sweets to kids as the tooth decay in children was just sky high. The recommendation was rather for some pens and paper-colouring in books for the kids instead.

I read on a 4x4 forum that people were appealing to travellers not to give sweets to kids as the tooth decay in children was just sky high. The recommendation was rather for some pens and paper-colouring in books for the kids instead.

Yip - same signs on the TKei! Ive also seen it cause fights (for the sweets)

We created the rod for our own back as mtbers.In Botswana it has become such a hassle that they get under you wheels.Mate rode over a pikkenien not two feet high.

I have also been stoned when not dishing out sweets.

What we do when ever we go through Central Kalahari Game Reserve is take a couple of pockets of oranges and give it to the San in one of their villages.The delight it gives them gives us pleasure

Community engagement in the areas around Roma, Ramabanta and Malealea have all but effectively wiped out the issues with begging, stone throwing and being a nuisance.

While the kids will still ask for sweets, money etc (if you dont ask, you dont get), they will back down if you say you don't have anything, and they will then let you go on your way, or they will try to find out more about you and what you are doing in Lesotho. Friendly and no malice. Enjoy the experience.

Community engagement in the areas around Roma, Ramabanta and Malealea have all but effectively wiped out the issues with begging, stone throwing and being a nuisance.

While the kids will still ask for sweets, money etc (if you dont ask, you dont get), they will back down if you say you don't have anything, and they will then let you go on your way, or they will try to find out more about you and what you are doing in Lesotho. Friendly and no malice. Enjoy the experience.

This is encourging!