Ironman...not just about the refund, why not sub?

pd2dk

Look, seriously, I understand your pain. But give me 20 minutes and R300 and I can get a doctor's certificate specifying any injury you'd like.

I would be completely against them changing their policy. Ironman is the one event that doesn't have a bunch of hyenas picking around at the edges because of the "no substitution" policy.

I wish more events would have this policy.

I agree with you Sluiper this could be an Issue with getting Medical certificates illegally. This issue can however be worked around

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say, I love everything about IMSA events... except their refund policy. I really don't think its defensible and I sympathise with the OP.

IMSA should review their policy. Full stop.

I wanted to do the Ironman once till I saw how much it cost and thought, f*k it, I don't need the certificate to prove I can do it.

I dont think you can. :whistling:

I don't think they do allow this

The World Triathlon Corporation will continue its “Race Transfer Policy” for all European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races in 2013. This initiative has been shaped by the opinions of hundreds of Ironman athletes.

Effective since 2012, the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) will substantially change its withdrawal policy for all* European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races. For an administration fee of R290, athletes can transfer their race entry regardless of their reason, and all athletes already entered, or signing up for an Ironman and Ironman 70.3 race prior to December 31st 2013 are automatically eligible.

WTC’s existing policy which allows for an athlete’s cancellation of a race remains untouched by the new program.

IRONMAN SA WITHDRAWAL: OPTION 1 - REFUND

• Until 6 December 2013 – 50% refund on entry fee
  • From 7 December 2013 – 7 February 2014 – 25% refund on entry fee
  • 8 February 2014 and after – 0% refund on entry fee

To submit your refund request, please contact Sharon Talbot on sharon.talbot@ironman.com.

WITHDRAWAL: OPTION 2 - TRANSFER OF SLOT

You may now choose to Transfer your slot upon withdrawal from the event.

• all athletes that sign up for an Ironman or Ironman 70.3 race in Europe or South Africa before December 31st 2013 are automatically enrolled. Athletes can still withdraw and receive a refund according to the existing rules. However, the race entries can now be transferred up until two months prior to the date of the race the athlete originally signed up for.
  • it is not possible to transfer an entry more than once. Race entry transfers are R290 regardless of the reason for the athlete’s transfer.
  • entries for races before August 25th 2013 can only be transferred to races within the same calendar year. Entries for races after August 25th can be transferred to any race prior to June 30th 2014.
  • race entries cannot be transferred to any sold-out Ironman or Ironman 70.3 event.
  • upgrades between Ironman 70.3 and Ironman races are possible, the fee of R290 and the difference in the entry fee will be charged.
  • it is also possible to downgrade a race, although the difference in entry fee will not be refunded.
  • race entries can NOT be transferred to another athlete.
  • entries can NOT be transferred to the same event in the following year.
  • It is possible to transfer to the Ironman 70.3 South Africa 2014 event, provided the event is not sold out, your transfer request is submitted before close of registration, and within the stipulated transfer deadlines.

Transfer Policy deadlines

Transfers must be made before midnight on 7 February 2014. No Transfers are allowed after this date.

I think 6 weeks before the event is reasonable

Look, seriously, I understand your pain. But give me 20 minutes and R300 and I can get a doctor's certificate specifying any injury you'd like.

I would be completely against them changing their policy. Ironman is the one event that doesn't have a bunch of hyenas picking around at the edges because of the "no substitution" policy.

Does the 20 mins and R300 includes the metal plate, x-rays, scar and stitches? :D

Does the 20 mins and R300 includes the metal plate, x-rays, scar and stitches? :D

Well is you pay some low life R300 to beat you for 20mins it could :whistling:

Well is you pay some low life R300 to beat you for 20mins it could :whistling:

Then you might as well do the race, you'll feel way better...a few days after the finish...and yes a taxi driver will do it for free!

The World Triathlon Corporation will continue its “Race Transfer Policy” for all European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races in 2013. This initiative has been shaped by the opinions of hundreds of Ironman athletes.

Effective since 2012, the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) will substantially change its withdrawal policy for all* European and South African Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races. For an administration fee of R290, athletes can transfer their race entry regardless of their reason, and all athletes already entered, or signing up for an Ironman and Ironman 70.3 race prior to December 31st 2013 are automatically eligible.

WTC’s existing policy which allows for an athlete’s cancellation of a race remains untouched by the new program.

IRONMAN SA WITHDRAWAL: OPTION 1 - REFUND

• Until 6 December 2013 – 50% refund on entry fee
  • From 7 December 2013 – 7 February 2014 – 25% refund on entry fee
  • 8 February 2014 and after – 0% refund on entry fee

To submit your refund request, please contact Sharon Talbot on sharon.talbot@ironman.com.

WITHDRAWAL: OPTION 2 - TRANSFER OF SLOT

You may now choose to Transfer your slot upon withdrawal from the event.

• all athletes that sign up for an Ironman or Ironman 70.3 race in Europe or South Africa before December 31st 2013 are automatically enrolled. Athletes can still withdraw and receive a refund according to the existing rules. However, the race entries can now be transferred up until two months prior to the date of the race the athlete originally signed up for.
  • it is not possible to transfer an entry more than once. Race entry transfers are R290 regardless of the reason for the athlete’s transfer.
  • entries for races before August 25th 2013 can only be transferred to races within the same calendar year. Entries for races after August 25th can be transferred to any race prior to June 30th 2014.
  • race entries cannot be transferred to any sold-out Ironman or Ironman 70.3 event.
  • upgrades between Ironman 70.3 and Ironman races are possible, the fee of R290 and the difference in the entry fee will be charged.
  • it is also possible to downgrade a race, although the difference in entry fee will not be refunded.
  • race entries can NOT be transferred to another athlete.
  • entries can NOT be transferred to the same event in the following year.
  • It is possible to transfer to the Ironman 70.3 South Africa 2014 event, provided the event is not sold out, your transfer request is submitted before close of registration, and within the stipulated transfer deadlines.

Transfer Policy deadlines

Transfers must be made before midnight on 7 February 2014. No Transfers are allowed after this date.

I think 6 weeks before the event is reasonable

apologies

Thanks

How about the following situation.

If a person gets injured after 8 Feb in a manner that will cause him not to be able to participate, why would he still do a withdrawal? Why would you go through the admin and not receive anything. That means that another willing person will not be able to complete due to a very strict and imo not a fair refund policy.

Good luck with the authorities. The Consumer Comm is a mess. So is the CPA in this regard. There is a "reasonable" fee levied in the case of cancelling a contract. The cellphone companies are ravaging us on this clause.

Didn't say it would be easy but is a reasonable fee 100%?

How about the following situation.

If a person gets injured after 8 Feb in a manner that will cause him not to be able to participate, why would he still do a withdrawal? Why would you go through the admin and not receive anything. That means that another willing person will not be able to complete due to a very strict and imo not a fair refund policy.

...my post heading probably put too much emphasis on the "money" part. I don't care about the refund, I just stated it may help. I care about not being able to have a formalized way of substituting an injured athlete...(like in any other sport). I may be naive but I see IM, 70.3, 5150 etc. as a sport and not a business...ok yes I'm naive!

I agree with this. I received an entry as a surprise for 2014. mailed ironman to ask some details on the rules regarding supporters. Have not received any response in 8 days. This is my 4th and my last ironman south africa.

Its all about the money...

Ok, many hubbers misunderstand, so I changed wording. Yes a refund will be nice to cover medical costs, but the point I'm trying for is a formalized substitution policy in specific case where injury causes you not to take part...like in any other "sport"

You didnt have your All Bran this morning did you? We are not talking about a simple visit to the GP and a doctors note. SHE HAS XRAYS TO PROVE HER INJURY AND HAS HAD SURGERY TO THE AFFECTED AREA TOO. SHE COULD PROBABLY PRESENT A SURGEONS REPORT AS WELL!

Didn't say it would be easy but is a reasonable fee 100%?

Not at all. That's where the CPA screws the consumer. "Reasonable" isn't determined. It's objective.

You didnt have your All Bran this morning did you? We are not talking about a simple visit to the GP and a doctors note. SHE HAS XRAYS TO PROVE HER INJURY AND HAS HAD SURGERY TO THE AFFECTED AREA TOO. SHE COULD PROBABLY PRESENT A SURGEONS REPORT AS WELL!

And I could present a psychiatric report that says I developed a fear of sharks... The point people are making, is that if you start making exceptions you open yourself up for chance takers. Rules are made to be fair to the majority, not the exception. Now STOP SHOUTING.