Hope Brake Appreciation Thread

patches

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

I can only assume the higher boiling point, but then again a motorcycle weighs ten times more than a bike and generally goes ten time quicker. So boiling point is a real benefit.

I also suspect the motorbike calipers have a better seal design...since weight doesnt matter.

Ah you see. That's why we keep you around.

I'm learning a lot here. Please keep it coming guys. Had no idea the dot fluid degrades.

Why do motorcycle systems use DOT tho? surely there's some sort of advantage over mineral oil?

Plenty of benefits to brake fluid over mineral oil - look up (it's in one of my posts) the wet boiling points of mineral oil, and the dry boiling point of mineral oil and compare same to brake fluid.... dry mineral oil will vaporise at the temps you can get car and motorbike brakes too... and that is deadly for brake performance...

I regularly check brake temps on my track car - and AFTER a cooldown lap at Kyalami, I often see over 250C on the disk (and around 100C on tyres too,,,) NO way I am going to run mineral oil at those temps..

OK - boffins? here's a question for you...

I know about the DOT fluid that will destroy rubbers (Mineral oil systems) etc etc.

but what will happen if I swap my dot system with mineral oil? surely the DOT resilient rubbers will not be affected by mineral oil? Or are the inherent hydraulic action of the two types of oils so different that they are not inter changeable?

{hi-jack off}

The rubbers will swell out, I think. Saw it with some syringes I used for bleeding my brakes with mineral oil. Also the difference in viscosity will probably mess up the working / feel of the brakes.

I can only assume the higher boiling point, but then again a motorcycle weighs ten times more than a bike and generally goes ten time quicker. So boiling point is a real benefit.

I also suspect the motorbike calipers have a better seal design...since weight doesnt matter.

Never realised you're a weight weenie.... :ph34r:

Plenty of benefits to brake fluid over mineral oil - look up (it's in one of my posts) the wet boiling points of mineral oil, and the dry boiling point of mineral oil and compare same to brake fluid.... dry mineral oil will vaporise at the temps you can get car and motorbike brakes too... and that is deadly for brake performance...

I regularly check brake temps on my track car - and AFTER a cooldown lap at Kyalami, I often see over 250C on the disk (and around 100C on tyres too,,,) NO way I am going to run mineral oil at those temps..

Agree in cars and motorbikes...not for bicycles

holishiz!

You can get those for under 3k?

I found a new (still sealed in bag) set of XO trails for 2.6k.. such a luck!! I've been told they perform well by others, especially for their weight but when it comes down to needing to stop on long verticals fade might be an issue, there are stronger options..

I see the X9's on CRC are just over 3. - bargain -

My wife's bike has R1s with DOT fluid and no sign of a normal reservoir cover.... Hope I never have to bleed them.

Agree in cars and motorbikes...not for bicycles

Maybe - maybe not... personally I will take Castrol SRF EVERY time over mineral oil... wet or dry, it's better than mineral oil.. :)

OK - maybe in one sense it's not better - it IS more expensive.. by a factor of about 5..

I found a new (still sealed in bag) set of XO trails for 2.6k.. such a luck!! I've been told they perform well by others, especially for their weight but when it comes down to needing to stop on long verticals fade might be an issue, there are stronger options..

Buy them... :) I am running them on my race bike - and they do perform well - so well I am down to 160mm discs...

If you don't want them, let Cpt Mayhem know... he wants a set...

Ok spit it out then - Vassago in kgs and grams pls

16.424kg

C'mon oom you know you never ask a lady(read singlespeed) her weight, she isn't some cheap point road tjerrie. ;)

Guest Omega Man

Nah you'll be fine. You don't drag your brakes aaaaaaallllll the way down the hill