Brake Noise on Shimano M575 calipers

maffias

I have recently bled my Shimano brakes they not the best but this is for my commuting bike.

When I hit the rear brakes they screech and resonate right through the frame as if you have wet pads,the stopping power isn't that great either compared to the front brakes.

Should I use brake cleaner and clean everything off, remove the pads and give them a buff with sandpaper or should I replace the pads ?

Hope to hear your solutions

I have recently bled my Shimano brakes they not the best but this is for my commuting bike.

When I hit the rear brakes they screech and resonate right through the frame as if you have wet pads,the stopping power isn't that great either compared to the front brakes.

Should I use brake cleaner and clean everything off, remove the pads and give them a buff with sandpaper or should I replace the pads ?

Hope to hear your solutions

Clean everything off and buff up the rotors and pads with sandpaper and then go and do the whole routine of bedding them in again. You can also hold the pads with pliers and toast them a little over an open flame if you think you may have spilt some oil on then and then sand them up.

The piston on one side is not extending completely.

Take the pads out and gently squeeze the lever to push the pistons out, when you see which one is moving hold it down by wedging in a plastic tire lever and then pull the brake lever again and the other side should free up if its not too gummed up.

Once its out a bit clean it with some alcohol and lightly lube it with mineral oil. Push them back in with the tire lever and refit pads etc.

Just be careful not to extend either side out to far else you will need to re-bleed them <- i did this, turned a 5 minute job into a 20 minute job.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Bobbo_SA

Clean everything off and buff up the rotors and pads with sandpaper and then go and do the whole routine of bedding them in again. You can also hold the pads with pliers and toast them a little over an open flame if you think you may have spilt some oil on then and then sand them up.

Been through the same with this model tried sanding pads, sanding the rotors, new pads, new rotors (including a tedious bedding in routine each time, :wacko: ) and yet it would come back each time within 15-20 minutes into a ride.

Edit: S&G

Edited by Bobbo_SA

The piston on one side is not extending completely.

Take the pads out and gently squeeze the lever to push the pistons out, when you see which one is moving hold it down by wedging in a plastic tire lever and then pull the brake lever again and the other side should free up if its not too gummed up.

Once its out a bit clean it with some alcohol and lightly lube it with mineral oil. Push them back in with the tire lever and refit pads etc.

Just be careful not to extend either side out to far else you will need to re-bleed them <- i did this, turned a 5 minute job into a 20 minute job.

Edit: Grammar

Now that you mention that, I have seen that my brake's pistons don't extend equally...

Been having some issues with screeching brakes as well. I know I need to sandpaper my rotors (they are glazed), but I'll keep this in mind, thx :)

Now that you mention that, I have seen that my brake's pistons don't extend equally...

Been having some issues with screeching brakes as well. I know I need to sandpaper my rotors (they are glazed), but I'll keep this in mind, thx :)

:blush: Drove me insane, to the point of almost putting Avids on....

I kinda understand the loss of "power" as only one side is doing the work (although all the hydraulic force is going to the side that is working so that might also be a k@k assumption on my part), but i really dont understand why it would make that noise and resonate through the bike, especially if its aligned like that from the start (i.e. its not "bending" the rotor over to one side)

Edit: Spelling ( :whistling: )

Edited by Bobbo_SA

maybe it is the pads.

Metal last longer but screech.

Resin is less durable, but quiet

Maybe thats the problem

I've had the same issue on my back brake, did you not get oil or brake fluid on the pads?

Some hard braking on steep downhills eventually got rid of it for me but it took a while.

:blush: Drove me insane, to the point of almost putting Avids on....

I kinda understand the loss of "power" as only one side is doing the work (although all the hydraulic force is going to the side that is working so that might also be a k@k assumption on my part), but i really dont understand why it would make that noise and resonate through the bike, especially if its aligned like that from the start (i.e. its not "bending" the rotor over to one side)

Edit: Spelling ( :whistling: )

Dude you should know that one should rather contemplate suicide :ph34r: