Dirtopia Enduro #3

niterider

lots of mamba at speed will help because most of the enduro routes will not go straight down like DH1,2 etc. but ride anything and everything, and ride alot. Give your bike a proper shakedown so you get to know her properly.

Now i'm getting super excited! Capricorn what you think, spend more time at Gspot or Tokai?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why not do both? both offer a mix of terrains which will no doubt improve your overall riding ability. But in my opinion, ride the most technical tracks you can find and your bike's capable of handling. Enduro is about physically demanding tracks, not just because you have to pedal, but because the track is rough, technical, and just plain raring to rip your face off.

and ride with someone more skilled than you. Your confidence and skill will explode..

Edited by Capricorn

and ride with someone more skilled than you. Your confidence and skill will explode..

Er... may I suggest NOT to ride with me then. I do have cool bikes though? And image is critical as we all know... :whistling:

Er... may I suggest NOT to ride with me then. I do have cool bikes though? And image is critical as we all know... :whistling:

dont trust this shyster: he will rip your lungs out on the climbs and flats. :devil: :thumbup: Perfect to train with!

Simonsberg is a new trail so rough and technical may not be on the menu for this one.. ??

then he'll go over prepared, yes? such a burden...

Simonsberg is a new trail so rough and technical may not be on the menu for this one.. ??

that sounds nice... its like erhhmmm whats that trail called which ends where the new mamba starts? cobra or something. thats kindv like the terrain here in the Overberg region, sharp rocks, very rugged and hard to remain seated.

so when and where are the pro's training on saturday morning?

I must say I hope Enduro in SA steers clear of the European concept of Enduro which is basically to ride various stages of gnarly DH runs without jumps on your trail bike. It's just getting a bit nuts from what I've seen on the EWS videos.

I like the idea of technical, but still have a clear gap between Enduro and DH.

I must say I hope Enduro in SA steers clear of the European concept of Enduro which is basically to ride various stages of gnarly DH runs without jumps on your trail bike. It's just getting a bit nuts from what I've seen on the EWS videos.

I like the idea of technical, but still have a clear gap between Enduro and DH.

why? Anything else will just turn the event into a glorified XC race with some parts of it untimed.

why? Anything else will just turn the event into a glorified XC race with some parts of it untimed.

Hardly. There's a huge difference between a proper all mountain trail, XC courses and full on gnarly DH runs.

The stuff they race on EWS is serious and frankly just a slightly tamed version of DH, which is why guys race in full face helmets out of necessity.

Hardly. There's a huge difference between a proper all mountain trail, XC courses and full on gnarly DH runs.

The stuff they race on EWS is serious and frankly just a slightly tamed version of DH, which is why guys race in full face helmets out of necessity.

serious is relative. at their speeds, it's brutal. but it's nothing that can't be ridden at slower speeds by someone in an XC lid with lesser skills. Some parts of the course might mean portage for the less skilled, but a course shouldn't be dumbed down on the whole. There are things as chicken runs for a reason.

From the previous Dirtopia enduro events, I think the courses barely managed to creep into DH space. One or two sections were pretty rough, but nothing anyone couldn't ride at a pace that suited their temperament.

I say bring on the serious sections. Time to develop the skills instead of dumbing down alles. Chicken runs for the rest.

Edited by Capricorn

yeah.... Im only putting in my entry once I get my fork back.... 2 weeks now and fox is 'busy' with it , its apparently half finished and they've all gone to wine2whales until Friday ...

:thumbdown:

I think dirtopia can Seriously start doing some marketing now...... atleast show some pics of the trails or a short video, something to get more people involved... at the moment no one knows what to expect at all.... both trails wise and vibe wise....

don't get me wrong, this is Dirtopias' ONLY short fall

The courses on EWS are exactly what they have been racing for years. Enduro is what you make of the terrain and courses available.

Those trails seem super gnarly because of the speeds the guys ride, Jared Graves hit 60-80km/h at some point.

There were a lot of XC guys racing those EWS events, Nino Schurter for one.

serious is relative. at their speeds, it's brutal. but it's nothing that can't be ridden at slower speeds by someone in an XC lid with lesser skills. Some parts of the course might mean portage for the less skilled, but a course shouldn't be dumbed down on the whole. There are things as chicken runs for a reason.

From the previous Dirtopia enduro events, I think the courses barely managed to creep into DH space. One or two sections were pretty rough, but nothing anyone couldn't ride at a pace that suited their temperament.

I say bring on the serious sections. Time to develop the skills instead of dumbing down alles. Chicken runs for the rest.

This. :thumbup:

+1 deviate

like.... will we maybe be getting a schedule or register of route descriptions in advance? something that states elevation gain/loss; lliason, SS and shuttle points etc.

probably wishful thinking i suppose...