Elixer 5 bleed -- Help !!

porqui

So thought I would bleed my own brakes (rear brake locks up in very hot weather 35*C + and told air in system) simple job. I'm more than fairly handy.

So do the necessary and attach syringes of avid pro bleed kit (top notch - really) to caliper and lever.

Squeeze caliper syringe no go no flow through from bottom to top whether brake lever is in or out.

If I push the brake lever in there is pressure at caliper syringe so there is flow through in the line but something seems to block fluid from going into the lever syringe - can it be a bladder failure or something. Not familiar with inside of lever side.

The syringes work brilliantly.

I have not dismantled lever assembly yet so some advice please before I jump in.

(Small problem - I'm 700km from nearest bike store (on Orange River))

Help!!

PLeeeeze this is NOT an open forum for Avid bashing this is a fellow hubber in need and an AA (Avid admirer)

Edited by porqui

Just a quick tip... closing the lever effectively blocks off the flow to the lever side syringe...

Also. What may be a stupid q, but.. have you by any chance put the little blocker hobbies on the tube at the lever side?

If not - try to depress the caliper side while pulling up the lever side so the lever side creates a suction.

Lastly - did you use the right syringe? Some syringes are allergic to dot fluid.

If not, only other thing I could offer would be to check that there isn't a blockage at the lever insert or in the tube itself...

ok...

so have you checked the above (cpt armpies mayhem pretty much nailed it) and also see if you open both syringes can you create a flow the other way? (ie if you push the lever syringe and lightly pull the caliper syringe plunger there should be an even flow (great song)...)

If there is then no blockage.

Good luck.

If you cant get it right disassemble, do the check and start again...

1. Are both plastic blocker thingies open?

2. Can i move the plungers freely (squirt a teeny bit into a cloth)

And do the elixir 5's have the barrel type adjusters like the CR's? If so try twisting them fully open/closed and then into the middle position (like a stuck key)...

Good luck man

Ok so by process of elimination

Disconnected hose from lever body and fluid flows freely from caliper to top of hose so blockage is between hose port and bleed port on lever body - can it be that piston is not retreating far enough and how can I check this?

Edited by porqui

erm... Not really. You should have pushed the pistons apart and put the little plastic separator pad in so that will keep the retreated so you dont push too much fluid into the system.

put the lever syringe in without the plunger in and then see if you can get a flow from below.

So thought I would bleed my own brakes (rear brake locks up in very hot weather 35*C + and told air in system) simple job. I'm more than fairly handy.

So do the necessary and attach syringes of avid pro bleed kit (top notch - really) to caliper and lever.

Squeeze caliper syringe no go no flow through from bottom to top whether brake lever is in or out.

If I push the brake lever in there is pressure at caliper syringe so there is flow through in the line but something seems to block fluid from going into the lever syringe - can it be a bladder failure or something. Not familiar with inside of lever side.

The syringes work brilliantly.

I have not dismantled lever assembly yet so some advice please before I jump in.

(Small problem - I'm 700km from nearest bike store (on Orange River))

Help!!

PLeeeeze this is NOT an open forum for Avid bashing this is a fellow hubber in need and an AA (Avid admirer)

Ran into a similar problem first time I bled Juicy 5s - try dialling the reach adjustment right out; hopefully, the fluid should move freely

reach adjust should be dialled all the way out. It effectively moves the lever away from the bar. It is a little roller thingy on the base of the lever where it attaches to the whole brake lever assembly.

reach adjust should be dialled all the way out. It effectively moves the lever away from the bar. It is a little roller thingy on the base of the lever where it attaches to the whole brake lever assembly.

I think the Elixir 5 needs a 2mm Allen key to adjust the reach - it's the higher models that have the little roller thingy

Turned all the way out try bleed - all the way in also - makes no difference.

I think a Lever internals/Service Kit might have to be gotten - something wrong inside there

Thanx so far guys.

Going to miss out on an amazing ride from Aussenkehr to Ai-Ais tomorrow but no brakes no ride even though road is flattish

Edited by porqui

I think a Lever internals/Service Kit might have to be gotten - something wrong inside there

Thanx so far guys.

Going to miss out on an amazing ride from Aussenkehr to Ai-Ais tomorrow but no brakes no ride even though road is flattish

Bummer. And the Aussenkehr Cycling Lifestyle Emporium is totally out of stock on seal kits I hear.

At least there's Windhoek, Tafel etc :)

I'd be interested to know what the problem was when you get it sorted.

Thanx so far guys.

Go through the instructions here (http://www.sram.com/avid/products/elixir-5-hydraulic-disc-brake) and follow them literally to the letter. There's a vid near the bottom of the page that's also v helpful.