What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

How do you know someone rides a SS?

don't worry, they will tell you ;)

But they didn't now, did they.

Did you miss @Admin earlier today when he handed out warning about trolling and mud slinging, seems this is what you came here for, either take it offline or bugger off.

I will say it again, if I want to talk to you I will address you.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

let me guess, you must be running a single speed right?

We spoke about this in the Atta thread, however that is a moot point.

10 gears is a crap load of gears, guys need to harden up a bit and get this "limitation of gears" out of their heads.

With the old early 90's XTR we rode 46/34/26 with an 11-28 cassette.

This changed to 44/32/22 with either 11-32 or 11-34 cassettes.

Now the front blades are much smaller and the spread on the cassette much wider.

If people can get in to their heads that they don't need to pedal hard downhill, they will find out that they have more than enough gears at their disposal.

Also they need to learn to work through the cassette, I see cassettes daily where guys use 5 out of the 10 sprockets on a regular basis.

But they didn't now, did they.

Did you miss @Admin earlier today when he handed out warning about trolling and mud slinging, seems this is what you came here for, either take it offline or bugger off.

I will say it again, if I want to talk to you I will address you.

This topic is about 1x10 not 1x1

I think you are doing the trolling.

I shall address you to.

Nuff said.

This topic is about 1x10 not 1x1

I think you are doing the trolling.

I shall address you to.

Nuff said.

Before you carry on making an absolute fool of yourself, where did I mention 1x1 at all ?

I have done nothing but give proper advice.

You on the other hand are playing the trolling game, now go an play with your toys on the N1.

Ride a singlespeed for a month, then get back on the 34. You'll have so many gears you won't know what to do with them all.

Couldn't agree more, I said the same thing earlier on in the thread, as for these kids ho play on their bike with little 20 km. runs, heck only knows why they feel the need to comment on a thread where someone needs advice for marathon type riding.

I simply told a joke to Milky, sorry if I touched a nerve.

10 gears is a whole lotta gears, and I mean a lot.

Everyone knows what you were implying, don't act silly.

Before you carry on making an absolute fool of yourself, where did I mention 1x1 at all ?

I have done nothing but give proper advice.

You on the other hand are playing the trolling game, now go an play with your toys on the N1.

:lol:

I have given ample proper advice to this topic already.

10 gears is a crap load of gears, guys need to harden up a bit and get this "limitation of gears" out of their heads.

Now the front blades are much smaller and the spread on the cassette much wider.

If people can get in to their heads that they don't need to pedal hard downhill, they will find out that they have more than enough gears at their disposal.

Also they need to learn to work through the cassette, I see cassettes daily where guys use 5 out of the 10 sprockets on a regular basis.

Thanks for the vote of confidence & history lesson, but I'm still sticking to 10 gears all I wanted was to swap my 36t for a 32t, I'll still have 10 gears init? :thumbup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence & history lesson, but I'm still sticking to 10 gears all I wanted was to swap my 36t for a 32t, I'll still have 10 gears init? :thumbup:

Absolutely, the 36 should be perfect.

I simply told a joke to Milky, sorry if I touched a nerve.

Everyone knows what you were implying, don't act silly.

Seems more like a case of childish jealousy, when you move from posing with fancy kit and a bike you can't use to it's full extent to actually just riding ,you might understand.

OK so back to the OP.....Craigwt, I been hitting the trails daily since my return on THAT bike........ ;) and that 34T up front hit me hard too but after three weeks and watching Pottie (damn I should never have looked!) I now stand up all the way to Level 3 at Tokai, so yeah it can be done!

Yes me. 36 front and 11-36 rear. Will see how it goes. Just can't eat between now and then to try and drop a few kg's.

I think that will be a good ratio, especially for the section from the Spur water point.

Perfectly stated.

Yes I think so too. I will have my usual walk where I have never been able to ride but the rest should be rideable. It will certainly be a good ratio from Spur. Can't see a problem now but will see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Good luck and have a good one :thumbup: