Race vs "normal" mtb frame

CatGirl

Die S/S ouens maak almal of hulle moerse laidback is en dat daar geen reels is nie - hulle check ook maar uit wat is cool en wat nie. Staalraam is cool. Titanium is cooler (se ekke)!

Awesome - you understand SSing!

It's all about having a billion rules whilst pretending there are no rules, then breaking the rules, creating new rules and then bending all of the rules.

Simple really - just like our bikes :thumbup:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome - you understand SSing!

It's all about having a billion rules whilst pretending there are no rules, then breaking the rules, creating new rules and then bending all of the rules.

Simple really - just like our bikes :thumbup:

yusss you guys are hardcore!!!

and also everyone else thinking you absolutely MAL. but also secretely wanting a ss....

ok... A carbon SS is a recipe for disaster....

The tension put through the chain stays and the BB is far more than a geared bike. This causes stress, which in time causes the fibres to rub, which causes failure and potential death... (dramatic but you get what I mean)

Also, the severe lack of lateral flex makes the bike very twitchy on those big effort climbs where you are out of your saddle fighting the bike just to turn the pedals.. (see above strees point)

Steel gives you whip and a bounce and doesnt fight you.... Comfort and ease are paramount in a SS especially if you want to use it often and/or race/spend long days riding on it.

I have tried all matter of material for my SS frames and go back to steel every time.

PM me your budget and or specs and I can help you out. I have a store full of SS gems.

I even have some ecccentric axel real hubs so you can run a regular dropout bike SS without a tensioner.

What he said ! I have had both carbon and steel .Carbon frame was lekke but the rear dropouts developed play to such an extent that the wheel was not running straight

So, none of the track riders are using carbon frames?

Track frames ride around on a track, smooth as silk. They also dont climb hills and the pressure is distributed at an even accelaration/stress level.

The track frames are also made/reinforced/weaved to have more strength as it is a specific discipline they are built for...

They also only ride their bikes for limited periods of time....

AAAnd go.....

The track frames are also made/reinforced/weaved to have more strength as it is a specific discipline they are built for...

They also only ride their bikes for limited periods of time....

Get a track frame for you SS then?

yusss you guys are hardcore!!!

and also everyone else thinking you absolutely MAL. but also secretely wanting a ss....

Anyone remotely contemplating it should take the plunge.

I have more fun on my SS than any of my other bikes.

The shear stupidity of riding only one gear without a shock is awesome. Think back to how your bike felt when you were 5 - thats SSing right there.

Anyone remotely contemplating it should take the plunge.

I have more fun on my SS than any of my other bikes.

The shear stupidity of riding only one gear without a shock is awesome. Think back to how your bike felt when you were 5 - thats SSing right there.

atm i am 25km from work and the roads to get there isnt bike friendly at all.

as soon as i move into town i am def getting one to get to work with. nice bright orange and lumo green me thiks

I have always been a 'once a week Single Speed Sundays' rider but of late after my son built himself one he just wants to ride it all the time so whenever we ride together (2 or 3 times a week) it's SS.

Also always took 'SSR friendly' routes like the green at Rietvlei but he says 'why Dad?', 'why not just ride your normal route and where you can't ride just walk, it's only short pieces'. So now we do that and I am pretty damn surprised how much of it is ridable :) - enjoying it more now than in the past!

atm i am 25km from work and the roads to get there isnt bike friendly at all.

as soon as i move into town i am def getting one to get to work with. nice bright orange and lumo green me thiks

I

I've never really got into this road fixie thing. I should give it a go.

Or fit a front brake to my track bike!!!!

Get a track frame for you SS then?

I dont think track frames have disk brake mounts or the tire clearence for a mountain bike.....

Stop being argumentative, do yourself a favour and Google 'Good SS specific bikes'...... I promise you it isnt coincidence that most will come back as steel and if you talk to the guys that have been riding their SS in situations others swear they need gears (like the front end of races) you will find, shock horror, most of them ride steel too.

Its not gospel, by all means try to ride your track frame with Tekkies on up the mountain, lord knows how many frames/materials/combinations I have tried.

Who knows, maybe it will work for you

ok... A carbon SS is a recipe for disaster....

The tension put through the chain stays and the BB is far more than a geared bike. This causes stress, which in time causes the fibres to rub, which causes failure and potential death... (dramatic but you get what I mean)

Also, the severe lack of lateral flex makes the bike very twitchy on those big effort climbs where you are out of your saddle fighting the bike just to turn the pedals.. (see above strees point)

Steel gives you whip and a bounce and doesnt fight you.... Comfort and ease are paramount in a SS especially if you want to use it often and/or race/spend long days riding on it.

I have tried all matter of material for my SS frames and go back to steel every time.

PM me your budget and or specs and I can help you out. I have a store full of SS gems.

I even have some ecccentric axel real hubs so you can run a regular dropout bike SS without a tensioner.

Ok, everyone is entitiled to an opion and I'm sure you know your stuff, but come on that is just plain rubbish!

If a F1 engineer read what you just wrote he would still be rolling around on the ground laughing his head off.

ONE9RDO_2STARSS.jpg

AIR9CARB_1024x768.jpg

http://drerowery.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DSF0374.jpeg

post-5105-0-97885200-1383830196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bad Girl

There is a reason that everybody that have completed joberg2c on SS were riding either titanium or steel frames .Carbon specific SS frames like niner are only now getting to market

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/files/bikes/34png/highball_1a_34.png Edited by Blitzer

He

There is a reason that everybody that have completed joberg2c on SS were riding either titanium or steel frames .Carbon specific SS frames like niner are only now getting to market

Hey E

Gaan jy weer J2C doen? Ek is nog onseker. As ek gaan sal ek solo gaan. Sal lekker wees om iemand te ken.