Can one continue to MTB with hip replacement?

I have a nasty feeling from some symptoms I am having 3 years after my op that I may need to go and do a full hip replacement.

I wanted to know if anyone out there has one that can withstand the rigours of mountain biking with a full titanium hip?

At the time I broke the head off my femur the doc said I was too young for hip replacement as the life span was generally 15 years so they just pinned it back on.

There was however the possibility that up to two years after, the blood supply to the head of the bone could have been damaged and would result in the bone dying off - looks like it could have been 3 instead of 2 years - not sure yet.

Before I go and get X-rays to confirm - I would like to know if the outcome is good or bad with a complete new hip - if not, I would rather not know and just continue through the pain.

I have a nasty feeling from some symptoms I am having 3 years after my op that I may need to go and do a full hip replacement.

I wanted to know if anyone out there has one that can withstand the rigours of mountain biking with a full titanium hip?

At the time I broke the head off my femur the doc said I was too young for hip replacement as the life span was generally 15 years so they just pinned it back on.

There was however the possibility that up to two years after, the blood supply to the head of the bone could have been damaged and would result in the bone dying off - looks like it could have been 3 instead of 2 years - not sure yet.

Before I go and get X-rays to confirm - I would like to know if the outcome is good or bad with a complete new hip - if not, I would rather not know and just continue through the pain.

I have had full hip replacement.Oxinium and no problems

My mate had his in August.Ceramic and did the Epic the following year.Fell on day 3 and damaged it.Is now back on the bike and no probs

Shot - that's brilliant news - how old are you and your mate if I may ask?

How did he damage a new hip and how was it repaired?

Edited by CapeLandy

My brother-in-law had his hip done two / three yrs ago and rode Sani2C with me this yre, no problems.

Shot - that's brilliant news - how old are you and your mate if I may ask?

How did he damage a new hip and how was it repaired?

I had it done at 59.He was 58ish.His was ceramic and he fell and chipped it.No idea how they fixed the pap wiel but he had to go under the knife again

The secret is to recover fast.We were on trainers(stable) within 3 to 4 weeks. and out riding within 6 to 8 I believe it was

I then stuffed it up by playing squash.Took forever to recover the muscles which set me back

We have a friend who had both hips stuffed by rowing (competitive)and hers were done in her 30's fine now.She rows again obviously not at a high level anymore

Hi Cape Landy,

Please keep us updated on this! I am 2 years older than you and have had laproscopic surgery on right hip and left is now also due, Decided with my orthopod that I am going to try and do 2oceans next year and see how it goes and go in for further surgery thereafter.

Would love to hear what your guy says about running and cycling thereafter.

Funny thing is that when I had the repair - my Surgeon said no more MTB and never be able to run.

Last night I decided to try going for a run for the first time in 3 years and managed 29 minutes for 5 km.

Hip was sore and stiff after, but this am feels a bit better.

Think I will go for the X-ray just to make sure. Just to find time to get off graft and do it

Funny thing is that when I had the repair - my Surgeon said no more MTB and never be able to run.

Last night I decided to try going for a run for the first time in 3 years and managed 29 minutes for 5 km.

Think I will go for the X-ray just to make sure. Just to find time to get off graft and do it

The big issue with recovery fro the hip replacement is the tendons and muscles are torn,fooked or whatever you want to call it

They have to dislocate your leg...think chicken leg.......

They have to be built up and cycling cannot do that alone so exercises,physio etc are IMPORTANT

Ceramic is long wearing but brittle. Metal on metal is currently on a massive worldwide recall - it is costing Du Puy a LOT of money. Go with what your surgeon knows, but realize that our knowledge in very active patients is still limited (previously it was not done or discouraged to be very active). Good Luck

My Ortho has the policy that if we cant fix it so that you can still do the things you want to why fix it? You have to be a bit barmy to accept that but I like the way he thinks, considering I run, surf and cycle I am happy.

I don't know about MTB but at 70 Jan van den Berg continues to embarrass (or should I say humiliate?) me on the road, 10 yrs his junior and no added parts.

My Ortho has the policy that if we cant fix it so that you can still do the things you want to why fix it? You have to be a bit barmy to accept that but I like the way he thinks, considering I run, surf and cycle I am happy.

Short and sweet...pain and mobility...that's why I did it

Ceramic is long wearing but brittle. Metal on metal is currently on a massive worldwide recall - it is costing Du Puy a LOT of money. Go with what your surgeon knows, but realize that our knowledge in very active patients is still limited (previously it was not done or discouraged to be very active). Good Luck

My wife who works in theatre was telling me that she is witnessing a lot of guys getting a certain type of hip repair being replaced because the metal is making shavings which then cause septicaemia - all done for free (or Guarantee)

This is the snap she took when I was butchered - notice the size of the tool being used and the "Splash curtain" - glad I was fast asleep.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee420/Landy1973/theatre_zpsa30ff51f.jpg