2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Action are the best priced giant dealers in the western Cape.

Will ask tomorrow for exact pricing.

Cool. Thanks. I will be so disappointed if they are selling the 2015, for less than the 2014 I just bought. :oops:

I spoke to them last week. They were selling the 2014 for R22k. The 2015 will be no more than 10% up so still less than R25k.

"All the new 32, 34 and 36 series forks have redesigned seals, which the company claims minimizes breakaway friction.

In addition to new tunes, damping adjustments and redesigned seals, Fox has also developed a low-friction fork oil that makes use of the element molybdenum"

Could this mean that the 32 on the 2015 Trance is ever so slightly a bit better?

Need some help!!

Been following this thread for a while now and ready to pull the trigger on a longer travel dual susser.

Have considered the ibis mojo sl amongst numerous other 26 " but it looks if 27.5 is without out uncertainty the way to go. I have never owned a giant and can't say I have ever had the hankering to own one,but yet to see a bad word anywhere about the trance 2. I am selling my road bike to help fund this project.

Is there any other bike on the market that can compare to the trance price wise ,or even close? And if so what?

Do I buy a frame and strip my hardtail of its xo groupset,except the crank as it's gxp and x9 . Buy some good wheels and a fork. Have seatpost saddle,handle bars ( all decent stuff) But what stem has to be used on that giant overdrive system? I don't understand that? Then flog of the hardtail frame,fork and wheels to recoup some bucks.I guesstimate cost about R30kbut would be a sweet build hopefully...does that seem about right. My tech knowledge is basically jack.

Or do I just buy a 2015 trance,is it worth the extra. Which I don't know what iit costs up here in gauteng. Do like the newer colour scheme.

Thanks

Guys

Overdrive is just another name for Tapered steerer afaik.

Overdrive 2 or OD2 is what you need to be careful of and avoid. However its not the end of the world but it means when you replace fork its resale will be poor and you will need to buy headset and stem at the same time.

After a few years of dicking about Giant have ditched OD2 and gone back to plane old tapered (OD) on their 2015 models.

Trance 2 is a very compelling package, don't think there is anything that can touch it at R24k or so.

Building up from scratch will be pricey, even if you have a few parts. Frame and decent fork alone will cost close to 24k.

I see the 2015 model has different brakes and rims:

Brakes: Shimano M615, Hydraulic disc, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm

Rims: Giant S-XC2, Double wall

What do you think - should the default brakes on this model also be upgraded or are they good to go like this?

I still prefer the all black look of the 2014 model though...tough decision.

Overdrive is just another name for Tapered steerer afaik.

Overdrive 2 or OD2 is what you need to be careful of and avoid. However its not the end of the world but it means when you replace fork its resale will be poor and you will need to buy headset and stem at the same time.

After a few years of dicking about Giant have ditched OD2 and gone back to plane old tapered (OD) on their 2015 models.

Trance 2 is a very compelling package, don't think there is anything that can touch it at R24k or so.

Building up from scratch will be pricey, even if you have a few parts. Frame and decent fork alone will cost close to 24k.

What would a fork cost? As there is a guy on here selling frames for about R12k if still available that is.

So is it worth it buying a 2015 now that they back to tapered ,and transferring xo on trance and trance on ht. or still not worth it?

I see the 2015 model has different brakes and rims:

Brakes: Shimano M615, Hydraulic disc, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm

Rims: Giant S-XC2, Double wall

What do you think - should the default brakes on this model also be upgraded or are they good to go like this?

I still prefer the all black look of the 2014 model though...tough decision.

Those rims are perfect. Not super light, but strong.

The 2014 trance 2 had deore levers and alivio calipers. 2015 is deore throughout - no need to upgrade as it's pretty much the same as last year's slx with were by all accounts amazing.

Fork on the 2015 is better (newer damper and not od2)

Bars are better on the new one...

So in short. 2015 is better and worth the 2k extra

The 2014 trance 2 had deore levers and alivio calipers. 2015 is deore throughout - no need to upgrade as it's pretty much the same as last year's slx with were by all accounts amazing.

Now thãt sounds very tempting!

Like the new colour scheme for 2015 as well.

Would have prefered a Revelation up front & RT3 in the back.

I do have a PIKE sitting around for a Pascoe build (if i can get my hands on a frame), but the Trance still my 2nd choice.

Will save a lot on the build if I ooted for a Trance.

I do have a PIKE sitting around for a Pascoe build (if i can get my hands on a frame), but the Trance still my 2nd choice.

Pascoe mmmmm I can only dream :/)

Yeah, agreed on the RS side of things. But from what I've read, the 2015 stuff from Fox is leaps and bounds ahead of the failfest that was 2012 to 2014. I'd almost be happy to give it a go rather than swapping it out right away.

...and just when I thought I had made up my mind to buy the 2014 next week :/ now this has got me thinking.

Tell me - is the trance 27.5 a good all rounder for riding Tygerberg Mountain Biking hills with the odd races (for fun) throughout the year...cause curiosity has gotten me to look at the Anthem X1 29er as well..?

Archived