2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

So who, in CT area is on a XL Trance 27.5?

OR

Who's on a Large Trance 27.5 with a 125mm Reverb dropper?

Yup, exactly! Wanna try it? And if you set up the suspension better for me, I will only be too happy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, exactly! Wanna try it? And if you set up the suspension better for me, I will only be too happy.

Perfect! Are you on a XL?

Just upped mine to 780mm

I tend to hit more trees with my shoulders than my bars

I'm with you on that one. 780 seemed wide at first but quickly got used to it... Once I adapted I haven't had any more issues than the original bars.

There's no freaking way I'm going wider on the bars, mine are losing 1cm either side tonight.

I'm one of those that fails to see why mtb bars need to wider than dirt bike bars, for what, to turn easier/quicker? Just TTFU and turn the bloody thing :devil:

The idea with the wider bars is that you can use a shorter stem (40-50mm) and still have decent leverage to keep the bars straight when hitting the rough stuff... As I understand it.

I'm with you on that one. 780 seemed wide at first but quickly got used to it... Once I adapted I haven't had any more issues than the original bars.

The idea with the wider bars is that you can use a shorter stem (40-50mm) and still have decent leverage to keep the bars straight when hitting the rough stuff... As I understand it.

also - a dirt bike has 200mm plus of front suspension travel, plus a motor to get you out of the poo. A mountain bike, well, it doesn't have that. So leverage replaces power...

This is a brilliant bike and by far best value for money. I bought one myself this year (2014). descends really well and climbs surprisingly well too. I had the Giant drop post on mine, but removed it for now. Not sure the weight penalty justifies the benefits for the Tygerberg Northern suburb trails at this stage. Might put it back on though.

Just a note to anyone. If you are going to ride this bike on the limit, you need to ditch the Nobby Nic tyres and get some tubeless puppies. I got a second hand set of American Classic rims and went with an Onza DH tyre on the front and a cross country on the rear. It transformed the handling when on the edge and instead of crashing on the exit of the berm (did a lot of that in the beginning) I can now turn tighter with confidence. Strava backs up my theory.

Just saying ...Cyclesphere durban has a Medium on sale at R 19k ( ex demo ) and also has a x4 on at R 15k but it's a small 

Ok, so I got some time to bond with my bike on Sat morning. It's safe to say I'm pretty much blown away by this bike, especially the way it rails downhills. I was initially worried about the size issue but I think it's perfect just the way it is. The only thing I'll be adding is the dropper post.

It obviously doesn't climb like my 26" hardtail but then again, it's about 4kgs heavier but what it loses on the climbs it more than makes up for on the rest of the trail. The lack of bobbing surprised me somewhat. For a bike with this kind of travel I was expecting a lot more movement. I'd go as far as saying that it's even better than my old Orbea XC dual.

Even the stock brakes are okay. They could do with a bit more stopping power but they worked more than adequately in bringing me to a halt, even in the wet.

I went tubeliss straight away on the bike and simply replaced the front Nobbly Nic with a tubeless version and the rear with a Racing Ralph. Sure, you get more aggressive tires but after doing Transalp with this combo I'm very comfortable with them as all rounders.

The only gripe I have is with the 2x10 setup. My granny needs to be slightly bigger for the Bottelary climbs (or maybe I need to be stronger) and on the slightest downhill on tar I spin the bike out. Riding in a bunch would be virtually impossible without some serious leg speed.

So happy days, go buy one :thumbup:

Ok, so I got some time to bond with my bike on Sat morning. It's safe to say I'm pretty much blown away by this bike, especially the way it rails downhills. I was initially worried about the size issue but I think it's perfect just the way it is. The only thing I'll be adding is the dropper post.

It obviously doesn't climb like my 26" hardtail but then again, it's about 4kgs heavier but what it loses on the climbs it more than makes up for on the rest of the trail. The lack of bobbing surprised me somewhat. For a bike with this kind of travel I was expecting a lot more movement. I'd go as far as saying that it's even better than my old Orbea XC dual.

Even the stock brakes are okay. They could do with a bit more stopping power but they worked more than adequately in bringing me to a halt, even in the wet.

I went tubeliss straight away on the bike and simply replaced the front Nobbly Nic with a tubeless version and the rear with a Racing Ralph. Sure, you get more aggressive tires but after doing Transalp with this combo I'm very comfortable with them as all rounders.

The only gripe I have is with the 2x10 setup. My granny needs to be slightly bigger for the Bottelary climbs (or maybe I need to be stronger) and on the slightest downhill on tar I spin the bike out. Riding in a bunch would be virtually impossible without some serious leg speed.

So happy days, go buy one :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with that tire combo, especially going into summer here in the cape, when everything turns to dust. 

When you replace that Nobby, do yourself a favour and go for a Super Gravity version of the Magic Mary, and maybe even replace the rear with the Super Gravity Rock Razor (I have that combo on my Reign X and it performs BRILLIANTLY -oooooodles of grip at the front, and a combo of small central knobs at the back with massive side knobs gives amazing rollign resistance and grip in the corners)

If you want to up the power in the brakes, just go to CWC and get a 203mm Alligator PIZZA rotor. The increase in braking power and modulation is huge. 

As for the bob - that's a Giant for you... Only reason mine bobs as much as it does is because I'm a fatty, and I need the lower volume air sleeve. Plus I have 170mm in the back. 

Welcome to the Giant club, where everything is awesome! :)

http://www.bringthenoiseuk.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Everything-is-Awesome-Lego.jpg

Great, thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Will I need to run spacers on the front brakes to accommodate those 203mm disks? I see standard is only 180mm.

yeah, you'll need an adapter. Also available there. Last time I was there, they had the discs for R 200 each, and the adapters for about R 100. 

.............and on the slightest downhill on tar I spin the bike out. Riding in a bunch would be virtually impossible without some serious leg speed............

I don't think Trances are allowed in a bunch ;)

Granny is lower than my old 3x9 Silverback 26er. Since my fitness levels are up, I have no problems climbing even steeper climbs, like Dorstberg or the Hillcrest climb... Also, this bike is not made for tar. Come and do Cheeky Corners @ Contermans, or the Cobra @ Hoogekraal, and you will see what this bike is all about.

Does any1 know where you can get a cover or something for the front deraileur mount to make it look better and tidy it up.Would look much better with a cover on that flat silver plate.

Archived