Ride with or against traffic flow? Which is safer and why?

Master-Yoda

Ride Left or Right?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Is it safer (in SA) to ride on the left or on the right?

• Left
    • Right

I've just been kind of following in the background here and quite frankly you are being rediculous. Firstly if you only ever ride on roads with very low amounts of traffic then why are you making such a big deal out of this if it plays such an insignificant part in your riding( as you have stated)? If you looking for video evidence then of course you are going to find more of cyclists being hit from behind as, and I know this might came as a massive shock to you, but most cyclist do ride on the correct side if the road, shocker I know! I think the point of the article regarding the joggers, and this is what I took from it personally, is that if a jogger, who unless you are Danny MEGAskill is a lot more agile then a cyclist and has a much better chance of getting off the road quickly can not get out the way in time there is no way a cyclist could. Even if you saw the danger coming there would be very little you could do about it in time. Now I know you are going to rip what I have said to shreds but it's just my feelings towards the subject. So as long as it's not putting anyone else in danger ride on which ever side you feel is best and let the rest of us ride were we want, just be ready to face the legal concicuncis if it all ends in a horrible accident. I know you said to not think about the law but unfortunately it does play a significant role is some thing like this.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, what's wrong with you? I really don't feel like repeating myself again and again to now also tell you where I do and don't ride but if you must be reminded or if you simply didn't bother to read all posts, then here goes.., a) I asked a question which is not a proposal as you have stated in your comment, b) no one is riding on the right, it's called a poll for a reason and a thread for discussing what ever needs to be discussed, or not.., c) we don't do road biking, d) when we do need to go onto a road, we're talking about roads that are next to farms and not main roads, busy roads and sure as hell not highways and finally.. e) ask me questions that apply to how/where we ride on the road when we have to be on the road and not how you ride on the road (e.i. amount of time, busy/quiet roads/ busy intersections etc..) or how you assume that it would somehow apply to our riding.

I suppose that the next thing you're going to say is that those joggers that were killed was because they were running against the traffic flow? What if instead of joggers it had been cyclists, would it have made a difference if they turned around and started running in the other direction and the same driver hit them from behind, would it? And now that I think of it, maybe you're all right, riding against the flow WILL get you killed but then you're all pretty f***d as well if you're on the left because all hope is lost once you throw certain variables into the equation, like a drunk driver coming from behind...

Do yourself a favour and search the net and see how many videos you find of cyclists being ridden over by cars from behind and then for cyclists that got hit by cars from the front. Come back when you have those figures and then we can continue our discussion.

There, wisdom has been shared now go fetch your GoPro and get those suicide cyclists on camera getting hit left right and centre at those busy intersections..

I look forward to natural selection taking care of this weakening of the human gene pool. Just make sure that its a taxi driver that takes you out, because no law abiding motorist deserves the trauma and inconvenience to deal with the consequence of your selfish and idiotic attitude.

Edited by GLuvsMtb

Its illegal to ride against traffic. Opinions dont matter and cannot change the fact, that you HAVE to ride on the left.

No I don't, Kim Jong-un!

There is a difference between "should" and "must" (or in your words "HAVE to").

I should cross the street at a designated pedestrian crossing. But I don't "HAVE to".

As long as we as cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and motorists have free will, we are likely to do things we should... or shouldn't. I do agree though, that in most cases the shoulds are there for our safety.

This is what I do. Flame me if you want.

On occasion I commute to work. I do so on a mountain bicycle. For about 85% of the commute there are "offroad options". Dirth paths running parallel to the road, but often with more than 2m seperating the two. (Note: dirt paths, NOT pavements/sidewalks designated for pedestrials).

I, being petrified of cars, choose to ride on these paths. Sometimes said path options are only available on the right side of the road (ie. facing oncoming traffic). But remember, they are not the road itself, and in most cases are 2m or more off the road. I feel that in ths case it is safer for myself to ride on the path than on the road.

So yes... sometimes I ride on the right... but only in order to utilize such a dirt path. During that 15% of my commute where I will have to put tyre to tar... I ride on the left... as far left as I can!

That is my personal practice and feeling on the matter. Fortunately I don't "HAVE to" ride on the road all the time ;)

Edited by patches

All I can say is ...that riding 2 or 3 abreast against the traffic ....not so cool ....I prefer doing it with the traffic ... :)

Now you see, this is the type of comment I appreciate. It's obviously coming from someone that knows how to express his ideas even if it differs to mine and not try and STAMP his ideas onto others. Dude, triple +++1 to you (Y)

Edited by 3dclaude

I look forward to natural selection taking care of this weakening of the human gene pool. Just make sure that its a taxi driver that takes you out, because no law abiding motorist deserves the trauma and inconvenience to deal with the consequence of your selfish and idiotic attitude.

Let me tell you something about how the universe works. Whatever you put out there comes back to you, threefold. Be careful what you wish upon others as I might end up getting hit by a taxi but you mon ami might just end up being hit by a bus. And for the last part of your comment I can only smile and think to myself, what a complete moron. Your comments still insinuate that I am riding against traffic when you've clearly seen my previous replies that state that I don't and never have, and you still don't get it? Why don't you move along and go contribute to another thread that requires less understanding because you're obviously having difficulty keeping up with this one..

:) :)

Let me tell you something about how the universe works. Whatever you put out there comes back to you, threefold. Be careful what you wish upon others as I might end up getting hit by a taxi but you mon ami might just end up being hit by a bus. And for the last part of your comment I can only smile and think to myself, what a complete moron. Your comments still insinuate that I am riding against traffic when you've clearly seen my previous replies that state that I don't and never have, and you still don't get it? Why don't you move along and go contribute to another thread that requires less understanding because you're obviously having difficulty keeping up with this one..

:) :)

You've put out a lot of your special brand of "you". I hope it goes back at you, and are not poor and multiply x10, x100, x1000 to come back and haunt the rest of us all over again!

Edited by agteros

You've put out a lot of your special brand of "you". I hope it goes back at you, and are not poor and multiply x10, x100, x1000 to come back and haunt the rest of us all over again!

???? :excl:

Now you see, this is the type of comment I appreciate. It's obviously coming from someone that knows how to express his ideas even if it differs to mine and not try and STAMP his ideas onto others. Dude, triple +++1 to you (Y)

Dearest Claude , on so many levels you are woefully disconnected from reality.

You should go outside and get some fresh air.

Edited by Skylark

poking fun with a double edge sword ;)

The debate rages on, 5,000,000 words and counting.

Great to see such a thorough exploration of the pros and cons.

Next time I ride I will definitely read the full thread before deciding whether to ride on the correct or incorrect side of the road.

Lets make this a sticky?

Rofl..., welcome to THE THREAD ;)

The debate rages on, 5,000,000 words and counting.

Great to see such a thorough exploration of the pros and cons.

Next time I ride I will definitely read the full thread before deciding whether to ride on the correct or incorrect side of the road.

Lets make this a sticky?

Howdy partner, I'm glad to be of assistance! Just remember to bookmark this one for future reference :)

Dearest Claude , on so many levels you are woefully disconnected from reality.

You should go outside and get some fresh air.

Hey and here I thought that you were still busy p!issing someone else off that I saw the other day, have you finished with the guy that was trying to selling his brakes on the classifieds section (XT if I recall correctly)? Boy oh boy, aren't you the type that loves sticking his nose in other people's business :whistling:

No I don't, Kim Jong-un!

There is a difference between "should" and "must" (or in your words "HAVE to").

I should cross the street at a designated pedestrian crossing. But I don't "HAVE to".

As long as we as cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and motorists have free will, we are likely to do things we should... or shouldn't. I do agree though, that in most cases the shoulds are there for our safety.

According to law, have to is the correct phrase (or at least us Capies). As per the new law, posted in another thread:

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—

(a) on the right-hand side of a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at an intersection;

Should, refers to some one listening to sound advice. You should ride one the left, but you do have a choice in the matter.

Have to states the imperative that if you want to ride on a public road you have to ( or you will- you cant make an alternative choice) to ride on the left. That is if you are a law-abiding citizen.

The law renders the whole thread mute. Safe or nor, it doesnt matter. Its a have to situation. Its like Cassie's rogue thread. He wont accept a should buy a permit. If you want to ride their tracks, you have to. Thats the rule. End of discussion.