First Enduro Build (take 2)

Nicko

Bike looks too clean - needs some riding I think :-)

I went to a 203 mm front brake with 180 rear- its brilliant but not essential. The weight gain is minimal.

I just put 785mm bars on my bike too - that with a 50mm stem is perfect for me. Get some really wide ones and cut them down if you want. Funn Fatboy bars are good value and available online locally.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

180mm rotor on the front at max! ...

160 rear is more than good enough

45 or 50mm stem with 750 bars!

DONE

Nige. Go shove 30 or 40kg in your pack and take a full bore fast run down something steep and then try your brakes. :P

You wont believe the extra braking energy us larger boned folk need.

180mm rotor on the front at max! ...

160 rear is more than good enough

45 or 50mm stem with 750 bars!

DONE

Yeah gonna do a bleed and check life on pads first, then consider upsizing, I can't see what the cons of upsizing are besides weight?

Want to go as short as possible on the stem, 35-40mm looks shortest. I like the more direct steering. There are some spank spoon 760mm bars for sale here on the hub, may make an offer on them.

Bike looks too clean - needs some riding I think :-)

I went to a 203 mm front brake with 180 rear- its brilliant but not essential. The weight gain is minimal.

I just put 785mm bars on my bike too - that with a 50mm stem is perfect for me. Get some really wide ones and cut them down if you want. Funn Fatboy bars are good value and available online locally.

Where are these available locally?

Nige. Go shove 30 or 40kg in your pack and take a full bore fast run down something steep and then try your brakes. :P

You wont believe the extra braking energy us larger boned folk need.

I'm 84kgs heading towards 90kg (gym), not sure if that classifies as heavy? I guess by cycling standards it probably is.

Yeah gonna do a bleed and check life on pads first, then consider upsizing, I can't see what the cons of upsizing are besides weight?

Want to go as short as possible on the stem, 35-40mm looks shortest. I like the more direct steering. There are some spank spoon 760mm bars for sale here on the hub, may make an offer on them.

Where are these available locally?

I'm 84kgs heading towards 90kg (gym), not sure if that classifies as heavy? I guess by cycling standards it probably is.

Yeah, I range between 85 and 95kgs.

FTR, I also run a Spank Subrosa bar at 757mm with 40mm Spank Spoon stem.

I see you've mounted your KS lever upside down, hows that working out for you - do you have to over-extend your thumb to reach it or not?

Guest Omega Man

I see you've mounted your KS lever upside down, hows that working out for you - do you have to over-extend your thumb to reach it or not?

I did the same thing. It just tucks it out of the way a bit. No better or worse than the "correct" mount

Guest Omega Man

You want me to adapt your lh shifter?

No thanks but Karl has a dropper that might need that treatment. What did you do?

No thanks but Karl has a dropper that might need that treatment. What did you do?

Basically took it apart, removed the down shifter section, filed off the teeth that make up the ratchet (otherwise it just clicks into the "big ring position" and you can't release it again) and then remove a bit of material on the rotating internals so that it moved freely and didn't snag on the return spring, which was slightly out of place thanks to the removal of the small flappy lever. Reassemble, and hey presto.

That was on my SRAM jobbie. The Shimano one will be slighty different, but I'm probably going to check one out this weekend to do the mod on that.

Guest Omega Man

Basically took it apart, removed the down shifter section, filed off the teeth that make up the ratchet (otherwise it just clicks into the "big ring position" and you can't release it again) and then remove a bit of material on the rotating internals so that it moved freely and didn't snag on the return spring, which was slightly out of place thanks to the removal of the small flappy lever. Reassemble, and hey presto.

That was on my SRAM jobbie. The Shimano one will be slighty different, but I'm probably going to check one out this weekend to do the mod on that.

Shiiit. Maybe I will ask you to do one or 2.......

Haven't had the chance to ride it on the trails, but when setting it up on my bike it felt more ergonomical than the correct way around. Also helped keep the cable from the level out of the way...

No doubt I will report back on here how a dropper post has revolutionised my riding in the coming weeks, so will see how this lever orientation goes.

How does that shifter hack work in reality, is it better? The KS lever is pretty nice I've found

I did the same thing. It just tucks it out of the way a bit. No better or worse than the "correct" mount

I went OTB a while back and did some damage to my KS happy button. Make sense to flip it out of harms way. The new ODI grips are KS compatible as well. That's my next purchase as soon as my budgetary constraints allow me too....

Would anyone be interested in the following parts if I did sell them, all in good nick.

32t RaceFace Narrow Wide chainring (probably 500kms or less on it)

60mm Raceface Respond stem (looks as good as new)

720mm Spank Oozy Riser Bars - 30mm rise (got a few small scuffs and what not).

Would anyone be interested in the following parts if I did sell them, all in good nick.

32t RaceFace Narrow Wide chainring (probably 500kms or less on it)

60mm Raceface Respond stem (looks as good as new)

720mm Spank Oozy Riser Bars - 30mm rise (got a few small scuffs and what not).

PM me, if the price is right I might take it all.