Sonja Laxton in hit and run.

gummibear

Sonja was knocked down by a car while running and is in a critical condition in hospital. The driver was chased and later arrested by security guards..Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Laxton critical after hit and run

Johanneburg - Long distance runner Sonja Laxton was involved in a hit and run in Rosebank on Sunday morning, her daughter Kim, has confirmed.

"She is critical but stable, and will probably need a couple of surgeries," said Kim Laxton.

"They'll need to repair all her joints that are broken."

Laxton, 65, had been hit by a vehicle at the corner of Glenhove and Oxford Road while she was on a training run.

She suffered broken elbows and shoulders, multiple fractured ribs, a fractured ankle and a fractured spine.

Her spleen had been "nicked" but none of her other organs were damaged and doctors were unsure of the extent of internal bleeding.

"The ambulance was there within five minutes and she was stabilised at the scene," she said.

"She was taken to Rosebank Hospital and then transferred to Milpark Hospital."

They were not yet sure of the details of the incident, but it had occurred around 08:00.

"We got a call from a woman who was waiting with my mom at the Engen garage. It is a busy intersection, but it's a wide road and we know it was light when it happened," her daughter said.

"Apparently he might have been speeding and he also allegedly skipped a red robot."

Sonja Laxton is one of South Africa's most popular athletes. Having competed in the sport for more than five decades, she has earned more than 70 national titles and broken 28 SA records at various distances in track, road and cross country.

She was the first athlete, male or female, to be awarded national colours for all three disciplines.

"I usually train with my mom and she is very careful on the road," Kim said.

"I can't imagine her running through an intersection, so we'll have to try and find out what happened."

http://www.news24.com/Sport24/Laxton-critical-after-hit-and-run-20131117-4

My thoughts are with her and hope she makes a full recovery. I used to see her often running in Saxonwold.

It still blows my mind how you can hit another person with your car and just ride away. :thumbdown:

Speedy recovery Sonja

Really sad to hear this. I ran the Northgate race this year and she won the ladies title with a blistering time.

Sad, so sad to hear this.