Outsurance sues cyclist

sharkbait

South Afica's legal system is a combination of English, Roman-Dutch and traditional law.

Correct. Substantive law comes mostly from Roman-Dutch. Quite a lot of procedural law comes from English. Then of course we have the traditional law aspect.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. Substantive law comes mostly from Roman-Dutch. Quite a lot of procedural law comes from English. Then of course we have the traditional law aspect.

And then there is the total disragard for the law!

Also true!

And then theres the The Hub Law

Some would think that The Hub Law is the highest law in the universe!

I would just like to know what type of road bike will get no damages from a crash?? ...... I need one of those...

Standard Outsurance statement; somebody I know of got his vintage beach-buggy t-boned by a chick jumping a stop sign in a busy road, no room to avoid etc etc. She was insured by Outsurance and admitted fault, there were witnesses to the accident. Outsurance refused to pay out because….yes..you guessed it..he should have avoided the vehicle jumping the stop sign.

I see that having super powers is required... PSYCHIC abilities are clearly tops on the list. man this makes me livid! Also had the chick admit guilt and had witnesses.. but no go. Its really pathetic.

And then theres the The Hub Law

Aren't these the same thing? According to the hub you only need to do what is convenient so go ahead and jump stop streets and red lights and hog the right hand lane on the highway all you want....

How about we digress even a bit more,

List your insurance company, and comment one premium and claim handling

I'll start:

CIB

Premium 3 out of 5 (5 being good)

Claim 2 out of 5

(Don't like their rule that you don't get the value paid out, you have to go to one of their assigned shops and get the replacement unit there, they pay shop a pre agree amount, I'm not insuring my house/property for them to get an arrangement with a shop that replaces things and get rich at my expense).

G

Broker: AON

Underwriter: Santam

Premium: 3/5 a bit on the pricey side.

Service & payout: 5/5 I get a replacement quote and they pay less the excess. I haven't had many claims but the ones I have had have been sorted out without any issue. My bikes don't need to be specified and are covered for theft and damage under the household all risk policy for their replacement value.

Service & payout: 5/5 I get a replacement quote and they pay less the excess. I haven't had many claims but the ones I have had have been sorted out without any issue. My bikes don't need to be specified and are covered for theft and damage under the household all risk policy for their replacement value.

1. Outsurance

Premium: 0/5. The y had us paying R1400 per month for a work vehicle worth about R40 000. Our bad as the finance guy was asleep. Still...

Service&payout: 0/5. When said vehicle got stolen on a project, they tried to block the claim by saying the vehicle was not parked at the listed address. Only after we pointed out to them via Blue Peter and other consumer forums that we paid 40% more than the vehicle's total value in premiums over the past three years did they budge and pay out.

2. FFG (underwriter Santam I think)

Premium: 5/5. After above fiasco, got premiums at 45% of Outsurance's for 5 of our vehicles at FFG + terms to suit application of vehicles

Service&payout: 5/5. Not sure, but about 6-8 claims in last two years. No problem at all.

3. Scottfin (underwriter Cross Country)

Premium: 5/5. Got all personal bikes, camping gear, training equipment, fishing equipment, vehicles etc with them. Best premiums I've come across.

Service&payout: 10/5! Really. Was in bike crash two months ago. Person cut infront of me at intersection and I hit her. Bike = writeoff as frame cracked+ wheels destroyed. They requested pictures of bike + statement. Paid within 5 days, and didn't even want the bike which I kept for spares...

3. Scottfin (underwriter Cross Country)

Cross Country have a reputation for being excellent, esp. for things that happen in real life (like bike crashes, or driving your 4x4 into a river). I've used them before, but never had occasion to claim.

What's the value of your bikes?

I tend not to over-react easily, but after this thread I'm going to re-look my short term insurance very carefully

I tend not to over-react easily, but after this thread I'm going to re-look my short term insurance very carefully

I'm actually with outsurance and my outbonus comes through in June 2014 - then I'm gone. So far Santam seems to rate the best. I'll have a look at Cross Country

Archived