Hardtail MTB - Momsen, Silverback, Spesialized

scuzzy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@finallygotabike, agree, but is is a bit more expensive for the carbon, not sure you can get a carbon Flash for 30k?

In my opinion Lefty trumps Carbon any day. But maybe I'm biased.

In my opinion Lefty trumps Carbon any day. But maybe I'm biased.

Not disagreeing, but the theory is that if you go 29'er hardtail it should be carbon in order to make it a softer ride.

That is what the experts say

Not disagreeing, but the theory is that if you go 29'er hardtail it should be carbon in order to make it a softer ride.

And who are they?

You ever think of building a bike to your spec?

With a budget of 30 odd k you could probably put something pretty special together. If done and purchased through the correct channels all warranties will hold.

It means things like 'the wheels are heavy' and 'I dont like the shock' are taken out of play.

I haven'y purchased a factory built bike in years and years and years. (I own a LOT of bikes... more than N+1 can warrant). It is just a way of getting exactly what you want, how you want it. No anodized nipples, nice spokes, whatever rims/groupset/crankset you can wrap your head around.

Dunno, something to think about. I isnt everybody's cup of tea I suppose but if my bike feels iffy for any reason its my own fault.

And who are they?

Well, everybody that I have spoken to says that, so I took it for granted that that is the way it is, is it not?

Steel would surely be the softest ride?

You ever think of building a bike to your spec?

With a budget of 30 odd k you could probably put something pretty special together. If done and purchased through the correct channels all warranties will hold.

It means things like 'the wheels are heavy' and 'I dont like the shock' are taken out of play.

I haven'y purchased a factory built bike in years and years and years. (I own a LOT of bikes... more than N+1 can warrant). It is just a way of getting exactly what you want, how you want it. No anodized nipples, nice spokes, whatever rims/groupset/crankset you can wrap your head around.

Dunno, something to think about. I isnt everybody's cup of tea I suppose but if my bike feels iffy for any reason its my own fault.

I'll do it, will be cool, just need to get my head around it. But even so, the questions still stands which frame to go for, or if it is much of a muchness when it comes to a hardtail

My spez does not flex. hard as a railway sleeper. Can see the flex in my momsen al329 and alu merida and alu road bike

Edited by flat29

Well, everybody that I have spoken to says that, so I took it for granted that that is the way it is, is it not?

I don't think so, carbon is very stiff(which is a great property for a racing hardtail to have) but all day comfort or softer ride....mmmmm I dunno

I'll do it, will be cool, just need to get my head around it. But even so, the questions still stands which frame to go for, or if it is much of a muchness when it comes to a hardtail

If it was my money...I would go for a Niner EMD frame and cherry pick what you want on it....but that is my opinion.

I don't think so, carbon is very stiff(which is a great property for a racing hardtail to have) but all day comfort or softer ride....mmmmm I dunno

Interesting, thanks

Why buy carbon then, because it is actually stiffer than Alu?

I've also heard that it is better to have a 27.2 seatpost than say a 30 on a 29'er, is that true?

My spez does not flex. hard as a railway sleeper. Can see the flex in my momsen al329 and alu merida and alu road bike

I don't think 'flex' is the question.

The weave on most carbon frames is manipulated to give you vertical flex to take up trail chatter and zero lateral flex so when you put power through the drive train you dont lose anything.

Alu will have a more even flex both ways but will not soak up the small vibrations as well as the carbon. (In theory)

It comes down to opinion. Some guys swear by their carbon, others by Alu... I rode a couple of Titanium bikes and the road bike feels good but the MTB feels stringy on the rough stuff.

Again, like with most things cycling, one man's trash is another man's treasure. There is no right or wrong answer