Moving to CT, need some guidance

traaidmark

Haai gaais,

I am finally moving down to CT, and we will be living in Table View. My place of labour is situated in Woodstock (woodlands drive). The obvious goal is to try and get on the bike as much as possible for the commute, but I am hearing a LOT of conflicting stories about that.

Some say it's the greatest thing in the world, others preach doom and gloom and that I will basically die the moment I clip into my pedals. Which is it?

I know there's lot's of threads on this topic here, but they are all a bit confusing for me. I don't know Cape Town at all! What I have gathered so far though is that it's going to be a lekker cycle down to Paarden Eiland, and then from there on I am going to die all the way to work? Is the bit from Paarden Eiland to Woodstock that bad? Is Woodstock itself that bad to ride through?

I saw on the myciti bus website that you are allowed to board with your bike, so then a cool option might be to cycle to Paarden Eiland, board the bus to Woodstock, and then just ride like a bat out of hell that's scared of the dark to Woodlands drive?

Also, if I just do the bus, is the walk (like 1,7km) to woodlands drive going to be okay, or... will I die all the way?

The wife has it easy, she is 2km from work. pah.

I already checked that there are some lekker trails close by (Majik, Contermanskloof, Meerendal), so will probably become a member of Tygerberg club.

I look forward to #slaapstad, and especially the cycling options there, but I am a bit wary of the safety issues.

Sorry if I am bothering you okes with Yet Another CT Commute thread. I can offer beer to soothe the irritation.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure there are quite a number of guys living in Table View that are commuting (or part thereof). Maybe look up the Table View Outriders... They might have info / contacts:

The Outriders Cycling Club (Table View) Michael de Kock 083 630 9911

I have never lived there but I can offer the following advice. Don't wear pink jerseys

Yeah, you might look like you come from Eastern Cape. :ph34r:

Edited by dee_biker

Haai gaais,

I am finally moving down to CT, and we will be living in Table View. My place of labour is situated in Woodstock (woodlands drive). The obvious goal is to try and get on the bike as much as possible for the commute, but I am hearing a LOT of conflicting stories about that.

Some say it's the greatest thing in the world, others preach doom and gloom and that I will basically die the moment I clip into my pedals. Which is it?

I know there's lot's of threads on this topic here, but they are all a bit confusing for me. I don't know Cape Town at all! What I have gathered so far though is that it's going to be a lekker cycle down to Paarden Eiland, and then from there on I am going to die all the way to work? Is the bit from Paarden Eiland to Woodstock that bad? Is Woodstock itself that bad to ride through?

I saw on the myciti bus website that you are allowed to board with your bike, so then a cool option might be to cycle to Paarden Eiland, board the bus to Woodstock, and then just ride like a bat out of hell that's scared of the dark to Woodlands drive?

Also, if I just do the bus, is the walk (like 1,7km) to woodlands drive going to be okay, or... will I die all the way?

The wife has it easy, she is 2km from work. pah.

I already checked that there are some lekker trails close by (Majik, Contermanskloof, Meerendal), so will probably become a member of Tygerberg club.

I look forward to #slaapstad, and especially the cycling options there, but I am a bit wary of the safety issues.

Sorry if I am bothering you okes with Yet Another CT Commute thread. I can offer beer to soothe the irritation.

You should not have major issues commuting. Yes, Woodstock has high traffic, but it is also the hipster hub, so there are plenty of people on their bikes, at any given time. The commute will be fun, and definitely worthwhile.

Give Hairy a shout, as he knows more about what is what around that area. I do Table View to Epping almost every day, and I love every minute spent on the bike.

The Tygerberg trails is awesome as well, just a pity that a knob got Kliprug closed down this week. Would love to give him a personal PK, as kliprug was such an awesome trail.

Have a look here (Cape Town danger areas) and follow @bicyclesafetysa on twitter for latest reports/updates:

(Cape Town danger areas) http://www.thehubsa....as/page__st__96

From twitter

@MTBDirtRider@bicyclesafetysa

Another cycling lane attack on Monday 18th! Man hit with brick!

Peak hour, 5:30pm!

Theft,all same spot,bridge close2Paarden Eiland.Completely out of hand!

Do not use cycling lane on N1, 2 serious attacks in 1 week! @brettherron @CityofCT must act!

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

You used live in bouberg and commute to Woodstock, no problems. Never felt unsafe and there were always guys cycling along there. Faster than going by car as well.

Nee man nou's ek sommer geirriteerd.

Gaan ons 'n trail ride doen voor jy waai? Onthou die bier!

Hahahaha, Oom Riaan, dinge is ROF hierdie kant. Hierdie trek + werk + ALMAL IN DIE HELE WERELD wat wil baai se en braai en drink vat nogals sy toll. Ons het 0 dae oop tot ons trek, en baie maats begin nou knorrig raak daaroor.