Moving to CT, need some guidance

traaidmark

You should not have major issues commuting. Yes, Woodstock has high traffic, but it is also the hipster hub, so there are plenty of people on their bikes, at any given time. The commute will be fun, and definitely worthwhile.

Give Hairy a shout, as he knows more about what is what around that area. I do Table View to Epping almost every day, and I love every minute spent on the bike.

The Tygerberg trails is awesome as well, just a pity that a knob got Kliprug closed down this week. Would love to give him a personal PK, as kliprug was such an awesome trail.

Traffic I am okay with, I generally err on the side of caution when dealing with vehicles.

Ja I saw about the trails closing down, but hopefully there will be some open still by the time I get there (next week), so please guys, behave just for a little bit. Give us vaalies a chance to ride as well!

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Milnerton/ Woodbridge and do the commute through to Paarden Eiland everyday. If you want to hook up when you down here and I can take you around send me a PM.

I'm coming up to a year in the fair Cape :clap:

Ah that would be great! Will get settled in and then we can hook up!

(and I thought the Cape was clicky)

You used live in bouberg and commute to Woodstock, no problems. Never felt unsafe and there were always guys cycling along there. Faster than going by car as well.

That's the aim. I wen't down a couple of weeks ago, and the traffic was amazing...

...ly bad. I always thought the Capetonians were just moaning. Nope, they weren't, the traffic is rough. I would rather spend that hour on the bike.

I also think that there will be guys on the road with me, but you never really know until you get there and live there.

Thanks mate!

NEVER!!! Whoever said that is a damn liar. :whistling:

Easy cycle to Woodstock My Citi bus station ,up onto Lower Church,straight across robot up to Victoria Rd , turn right and Woodlands a couple of streets down on left.Never had a problem on cycle route always guys on this route.At peak hour traffic is heavy but slow or just ride on the pavement Just stay away from Gympie and Barron st .I would rather ride a bike than walk.

You will meet very few actual Capetonians, they are all stuck up there own ....(Hat, coat, door) The friendly people in the Cape all come from other places :whistling:

Haai gaais,

I am finally moving down to CT, and we will be living in Table View. My place of labour is situated in Woodstock (woodlands drive). The obvious goal is to try and get on the bike as much as possible for the commute, but I am hearing a LOT of conflicting stories about that.

Some say it's the greatest thing in the world, others preach doom and gloom and that I will basically die the moment I clip into my pedals. Which is it?

I know there's lot's of threads on this topic here, but they are all a bit confusing for me. I don't know Cape Town at all! What I have gathered so far though is that it's going to be a lekker cycle down to Paarden Eiland, and then from there on I am going to die all the way to work? Is the bit from Paarden Eiland to Woodstock that bad? Is Woodstock itself that bad to ride through?

I saw on the myciti bus website that you are allowed to board with your bike, so then a cool option might be to cycle to Paarden Eiland, board the bus to Woodstock, and then just ride like a bat out of hell that's scared of the dark to Woodlands drive?

Also, if I just do the bus, is the walk (like 1,7km) to woodlands drive going to be okay, or... will I die all the way?

The wife has it easy, she is 2km from work. pah.

I already checked that there are some lekker trails close by (Majik, Contermanskloof, Meerendal), so will probably become a member of Tygerberg club.

I look forward to #slaapstad, and especially the cycling options there, but I am a bit wary of the safety issues.

Sorry if I am bothering you okes with Yet Another CT Commute thread. I can offer beer to soothe the irritation.

Hijack this thread, these guys should be able to advise

http://www.thehubsa....n-morning-ride/

You should not have major issues commuting. Yes, Woodstock has high traffic, but it is also the hipster hub, so there are plenty of people on their bikes, at any given time. The commute will be fun, and definitely worthwhile.

Give Hairy a shout, as he knows more about what is what around that area. I do Table View to Epping almost every day, and I love every minute spent on the bike.

The Tygerberg trails is awesome as well, just a pity that a knob got Kliprug closed down this week. Would love to give him a personal PK, as kliprug was such an awesome trail.

I have been commuting to work in town from Table View for over 10 years now and am still alive, and rather enjoying it. Give me a shout closer to the time and we can show you the route and will head out in your direction to your office so that you don't get lost on your first day at work ;)

You will meet very few actual Capetonians, they are all stuck up there own ....(Hat, coat, door) The friendly people in the Cape all come from other places :whistling:

HEY!

Still irritating the crap out of me :cursing: Stupid wind.

WOES :)

There is a dedicated cycle lane all the way from Blouberg to Cape Town. I also work on Woodstock and have never had any issues. The section from Paarden Eiland to Woodstock goes behind all the factories and is a dedicated bus and seperate bicycle lane.

Enjoy the commute

I have been commuting to work in town from Table View for over 10 years now and am still alive, and rather enjoying it. Give me a shout closer to the time and we can show you the route and will head out in your direction to your office so that you don't get lost on your first day at work ;)

HEY!

WOES :)

Only pulling your socks :thumbup:

The wind makes me stronger, as much as I hate the wind, always have.

I am so excited about moving. It sounds like it's going to be a blast. Lot's of new riding buddies!

Just mind out for the Capetonians and you will be fine :thumbup:

I commute from Table View to Pinelends via Woodstock 4 to 5 times a week - tough wood - never had a problem

Always use the cycle path too !

Wind and getting caught in the rain come with the territory

I am so excited about moving. It sounds like it's going to be a blast. Lot's of new riding buddies!

Where in Table View will you call home?