Jonkershoek - what a gem

Headshot

Tx. That rock drop you're talking about isn't so bad actually. Roll off the first bit and lean back like mad off the second. The big rock drops at the top are way more scary! I think I did the smaller one in the video but the big one lands right into a left corner so no room for error! To be honest I had no time to think because I was just trying to keep up with Julien!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Great vid. Looks like serious fun! I am not very familiar with Jonkers trail network, what is the best way to get to the start of the trail in the vid above?

Thanks!

Krynauw

• 4 weeks later...

i was watching video of the dh comp from last year. i have been riding in jonkershoek reasonably often but never ridden that part. I've noticed the tape fence before so i guess thats where it is. how do you get up there and is that where the new double black is too? i suppose i need to have it described to me in relation to a bit that i do know. normally id go in and climb up to what i believe is called ace of spades. I've seen a bit that is actually signed ace of spades but the bit i mean comes up as ace of spades on strava. theres 3 sections to it. when i get to the bottom of the 3rd, instead of going down again via the 2 way section, i turn left (theres an arrow there still from origins of trails) and ride up above never ending story and all the way down. is the new bit on that route anywhere? there is a bit before never ending that I've seen going off to the right but i don't know where it comes out

Please reserve judgement on the video-no quality at all but at least it's on the web ;)

How the heck do you embed a vimeo video??? Never been able to figure it out.

Here's the link

http://vimeo.com/81386914

all that verbal fappage gets so old so quickly. Vids describe a trail way better than numbers. Shot for the vid!

I'm in Cape Town tomorrow and have the afternoon free (probably from around 12). I've arranged to hire a bike (from iRide africa).

I'm thinking about going to Jonkershoek for a bit of trail action. Is it fine to ride there alone? Are the trails well marked and easy to find or do you need to know your way around? Or are there better places for this?

Or even better is anyone free and fancy coming along? I know you okes in Cape Town don't work on Friday afternoons! :devil:

I found the trails NOT so well marked, the map handed out at entrance is of no use.

You need a local to tell you where to go.

I enjoyed the trails once found, but, sorry a bit over-rated. :whistling:

I will try again when there, hopefully have my mind changed.

I found the trails NOT so well marked, the map handed out at entrance is of no use.

Jonkershoek is a bit like sex - your first time is unlikely to be your best time! ;) But once you've figured out how it works.......... :clap: :thumbup:

D Vader, I must concur with DJR, these are world class trails. With Karkloof and Welvanpas, easily the best in Africa and on par with many marquee trails in the Alps.

But yes, they are somewhat challenging to find and link, so often a first visit to Jonkershoek is slightly disappointing for the uninitiated.

Jonkershoek is a bit like sex - your first time is unlikely to be your best time! ;) But once you've figured out how it works.......... :clap: :thumbup:

yeah, it is usually better on my own. :whistling:

Over rated in what way?

Archived