Skills clinics

Skills clinics  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth it?

• yes
    • no

I think a skills course will never be a bad idea- even 'competent' riders can always learn more...

But I'm more a fan of riding with guys better than me and learning as you ride on a more on going basis.

And therefore I'd be keen to organize a 'technical' riding day at Rietvlei this December- maybe the 21st.

I'm by no means a pro and don't profess to be, but I can handle the odd technical bit here & there...and would be glad to help out for a couple of hours.

Is anyone keen?

Rather make it Thaba. Far better technical riding than at Rietvlei.

Sent my fiancé to the level 1 Tread Skills Clinic. She had to admit that everything she learned I had tried teaching her before.

What she said helped her a lot and inspired more confidence is that Sean teaches according to a 'syllabus' and after going thru each skill, you do repeated drills till you get it right, before moving onto the next skill. She's a lot more confident at speed now and is cornering a helluva lot better.

It's also something cool/different to do with your partner.

I'm sure she argued less with and paid attention to what he taught her as opposed to me.

She's amped for level 2, but he recommends you take a good few months of practicing what you learn in level 1 before signing up for level 2.

I was thinking of Thaba first, but I know a few less technical minded riders get put off when they hear Thaba.

I prefer Thaba myself & there are plenty play areas...

Did any of you go to the skills training this weekend. Heard my riding partner fell and broke 5 ribs :eek:

I was thinking of Thaba first, but I know a few less technical minded riders get put off when they hear Thaba.

I prefer Thaba myself & there are plenty play areas...

If you have the patience to teach a nervous noob how to get round some of those paths strewn with rocks and roots at Rietvlei I'll sign up.

Do it!!!

Better to be conciously incompetent that unconsiously incompetent.

Doing a skills clinic makes you know the difference at least.

Just go ride DH races, one learns the hard, but fun way!

I have been thinking seriously about trying this downhill thing.

Sadly the economics are not in my favour.

I have been thinking seriously about trying this downhill thing.

Sadly the economics are not in my favour.

You dont have to buy a DH rig straight away...what do you ride now?

Since July I did a few DH events and all on my all mountain 150mm/140mm travel bike. Yes I didnt hit the big things (and I am super slow), but I did get to learn to do quite a few drops and can handle rough/steep terrain MUCH better now. (1 year ago I was scared of going down stuff that was slightly slanted and could barely get up side walks).

I was VERY hesitant to get a DH bike because I wanted to be able to handle more things with my AM bike 1st, but I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago on a deal one could not resist. Did one ride with it since then and it is true, it gives one much more confidence (still not sure if I want that from a bike at this stage - if it makes sense).

2 things helped me A LOT with my skills:

1. the people I have been riding with this year (it is insane what some of them do and how talented most of them are!)

2. stepping away a bit from the distance riding and trying the Enduro and DH thing (much more social gathering ^_^)

I think a skills clinic (Tread one spoken about) gives you a good solid basis to build on, you not going to walk in not knowing how to pedal and walk out a Chris Akrigg, but lets get real.

I`m trying to get my wife to go and do one, not that she needs it but even so, its a good confidence builder.

A lot of people who do the courses wont ride the drop offs, bridges and so on, but its almost like this mob mentality kicks in and they do it.

I think if you are starting out, its a good starting point, and if your skills are good already there are still small things that you might pick up on and do better in the future.

& if you have never been to Cycle Park (if you in JHB) you still have entrance and you can cruise about and go and check out some of the other stuff there.

I like it there ... although recently maintenance has not been a strong point, apparently they sold the place ... anyone ?

You dont have to buy a DH rig straight away...what do you ride now?

Since July I did a few DH events and all on my all mountain 150mm/140mm travel bike. Yes I didnt hit the big things (and I am super slow), but I did get to learn to do quite a few drops and can handle rough/steep terrain MUCH better now. (1 year ago I was scared of going down stuff that was slightly slanted and could barely get up side walks).

I was VERY hesitant to get a DH bike because I wanted to be able to handle more things with my AM bike 1st, but I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago on a deal one could not resist. Did one ride with it since then and it is true, it gives one much more confidence (still not sure if I want that from a bike at this stage - if it makes sense).

2 things helped me A LOT with my skills:

1. the people I have been riding with this year (it is insane what some of them do and how talented most of them are!)

2. stepping away a bit from the distance riding and trying the Enduro and DH thing (much more social gathering ^_^)

not to hijack this thread

BUT :whistling:

I have a 100mm DS that I may have pushed far beyond it's limits.

it is set up a lot more like a XC machine than an AM rig.

I really am afraid that i am going to break it (and myself because of breaking it) if i go any more extreme.