Online Shops vs Independent Bicycle Stores?

Clincher

Here's a new thought, what if IBS (Independent Bike Shops) supported the Online thing? What I mean is, Online shops have good prices, but not any good advise or a cool place to hangout. IBSs generally don't have better pricing, but the people are cool and they give good advice as long as you shop there! RIGHT?! So what if a store opened up to us Hubbers and gave us better pricing as a group because we are hubbers, we ordered bits from them, and they could give us a discount for the volume we would bring but we could also get the advice then? Would this work I wonder?

Ok, I have to ask this.

What is your personal gain / angle on this ... first post and it has the feeling that it is meant to draw us all into a frenzy about how great this would be and then you simply drop the bomb that you will be doing this and tell us where to find your IBS!

Pardon my skepticism, but it is well founded based on previous first posts with a similar tone as yours.

economics lesson 101:

Supply and Demand

Big Demand, small supply = big price

Big Demand, Big Supply = market price

Small Demand, Big Supply = cheap price

Are you referring to a loyalty program, such as pick n pay smart shopper ... etc ?

Problem is: Online shopping such as chain reaction cycles or CWC will always be used by those in the know as a parts comparison and purchase decision ... the advice is for those who dont know how to use the internet properly ... so the market would be the latter ...

Ok, so not all of us can choose the right parts online, or build our own bikes like you pros. Some of us need the advice and so on. I'm feeling like I should be getting help, and don't mind paying for it, but LBS have overheads that I shouldn't have to pay for.

That's my angle! I need good help and a fair price, Online don't give it, they like moving numbers, LBS have stock to look at and have kiff advice, but charge a higher price for the same item I can buy at 35% less online? Who wouldn't want to combine those?

It's my first post and also first time signing in because I'm a newbie.

Ja, I hear you……….but if only have this much money and i can't find out everything online but online shops cans supply at a price i like, then why not? Anyone else bought the wrong stuff and can't make it work? Surely I'm not the only one, or maybe the only one honest enough to admit it in public. Some of us need a push in the right direction

Ok, so not all of us can choose the right parts online, or build our own bikes like you pros. Some of us need the advice and so on. I'm feeling like I should be getting help, and don't mind paying for it,

So, instead of some half baked idea, why didn't you post a question regarding your needs and the guys here would give you plenty of advice with which you could complete a reasonably informed purchase?

I'm going to regret this, but here goes. Bicycle shops are here to make a living, so we can buy **** we want and do stuff we want! We like doing that in a work environment that is stimulating and fun! But our margins aren't as large as you think. Yes the MARKUP seems high, but the profit has to cover cost of sales, stock holding, and any other overhead we have. Some shops have larger overheads than others!

If I had a group of guys willing to come through in volume and buy from me, I would pass on a better deal. In fact many a group/club/mates have done this and done well out of us and in return they got great advice and pricing!

Build the relationship, make it mutually beneficial and everyone wins! Loads of people phone me day in and out for free time on the phone while they do their online order………….this hurts because if you just asked me to do the deal and you would pay more (to cover my advice and overhead) we would do it. The problem is nobody asks like that, it's just "oh you want just give me a discount so i'll buy it online". If I can see the point in it, you will benefit

Ok, so not all of us can choose the right parts online, or build our own bikes like you pros. Some of us need the advice and so on. I'm feeling like I should be getting help, and don't mind paying for it, but LBS have overheads that I shouldn't have to pay for.

That's my angle! I need good help and a fair price, Online don't give it, they like moving numbers, LBS have stock to look at and have kiff advice, but charge a higher price for the same item I can buy at 35% less online? Who wouldn't want to combine those?

Dude .... they have overheads to pay and if you do not spend your money with them then why should they spend time helping you figure out how things work (Time = Money) while they could be working on a bike in the workshop.

If you want to save money shopping on-line then do your homework online .... like us pro's

If you do order online, there's nothing wrong with asking a bike shop to install it. Just charge him the agreed upon labour rate. If I can't do it myself then that's what I do.

If you ask them advice don't then go buy the part online or if you know you are going to do that, arrange with the bike shop that they will do the work for the agreed and maybe something extra for their time spent giving the advice.

Wow, some guys are really touchy. I fail to see how this guy's post threatens any one's existence. Then, roadies are full of it...

Here is another thought:

There are probably at most about 700 to 800 people who are active on thehub (i.e. have posted consistently at least once a week for a 3 month period).

There are probably over 200 000 active recreational / competitive cyclists in SA (i.e. rides a bike for recreation / fitness at least once a week over the last 3 months). Do you really think that as a group we make any impact on the cycling insdustry?

We hubbers sometimes over estimate our worth to the cycling community.

We hubbers sometimes over estimate our worth to the cycling community.

And what about when a couple of Hubbers got Specialized to back down about Cafe Roubaix ???

And what about when a couple of Hubbers got Specialized to back down about Cafe Roubaix ???

You are absolutely right. My apologies. Here I thought that the Pinkbike article had something to do with that...