36/52 crank vs 39/53

solly

Compact is 50/34 and only benefit would be if you are struggling to ride a good cadence with a 54/39 it would help, climbing wise it would also help but you can sort that by going with a 28 at the back if need be

Hi Solly,

My new bike came out with a compact, but I could not get used to it. Replaced it with a standard - even though as Sharky says, the compact is nice on a steep hill.

Regards

Sarge

I changed my cassette to 12-28 instead of 11-25. one less tooth at the back doesn't make a difference according to me. Leg speed makes up for the 1 less tooth on the casette

Road standard for years and my new bike came with compact. Even after months I could not find a sweetspot at the back as I was used to spinning with a 39/17 or 19. Climbing thou wasnt a problem and I would go as high as 21 at the back with a 11-23 ratio cassette. I switche to a standard again 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. Compacts are good imo if you limited to an 11-23 at the back. In Cpt I have never used lighter than a 23 with a standard crank. Interesting story about resistance as well, at World TT champs everyone used a 55/11 combination and Tony Martin used a 58/12. According to his mechanics it was easier to get up to speed with a 12 as opposed to an 11 as the 12 offered least resistance. If you're not a sprinter I don't see the point of having an 11, instead you can do with an extra 27 cog at the back in case of a bad day on the hills.

I love my compact crank, i think its great for beginners. But as your legs develop i don't think it really matter what you ride. I swopped bikes (just for a ride) with a mate he rides standard and battles to ride it, i could feel no difference between the bikes now. He absolutely loved the compact, infact said im cheating on climbs. He is currently buying a compact crank.

Compact cranks - so wrong for the road.

53/39 baby yeah

Think about it like this...

Standard = make my pistons stronger

Hoping it makes mine stronger too but still have to stand now and then :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a new bike which came with 10spd and a compact crank and a 27-11 at the back.

I am struggling to find a 23-11 in Cape Town. I had a standard crank and a 25-12 on my old 9speed and was happy with it most of the time.

Any suggestions about finding a 23-11 or is the 11 really that important? Can I go 23-12??

Thanks

Before asking such questions on The Hub, a quick search of the Velominati will usually provide an answer:

http://www.velominati.com/tradition/look-pro-the-flemish-compact/

Everyone knows that the quality of one’s character is measured by the size gear they can push, particularly when going uphill. It is also a well-established fact that no self-respecting Flemish Pro would ever ride a Compact, no matter what condition their knees are in or how ferocious the gradient. Which, by extension, means that Compacts are for sissies. In fact, a true Flandrian would rather lose their national race than ride a Sissy Gear.

Before asking such questions on The Hub, a quick search of the Velominati will usually provide an answer:

http://www.velominat...lemish-compact/

Everyone knows that the quality of one’s character is measured by the size gear they can push, particularly when going uphill. It is also a well-established fact that no self-respecting Flemish Pro would ever ride a Compact, no matter what condition their knees are in or how ferocious the gradient. Which, by extension, means that Compacts are for sissies. In fact, a true Flandrian would rather lose their national race than ride a Sissy Gear.

And what do the Velominati say about the latest mtb gearing trends.... TINY chain rings and HUMONGOUS clusters... a bit like compact gears.....? :whistling:

Methinks some people should ride what they capable of and not what their pride says they should

Morning all

And what do the Velominati say about the latest mtb gearing trends.... TINY chain rings and HUMONGOUS clusters... a bit like compact gears.....? :whistling:

Methinks some people should ride what they capable of and not what their pride says they should

I think the Velominati have given up trying to rein in mountain bikers, and have yielded to the corporate machine that dictates we need a new bike/chain ring/wheel/cluster/fork size every year. They regard mountain biking as a quirky side show with no history and tradition, jumping from one fad to the next...

I ride a 53/39 and 27/12. I like to ride cross chain and the 53-27 is good for any hill. I did the 2013 99er and Argus only on my 53 blade.

I have managed to find a 12-23 in Cape Town, will I notice the difference between the 11 and the 12??

I also struggled trying to get an 11-23, and eventually opted for an 11-25.

Here is the difference between an 11 and 12 - seems like a little more than 5rpm

post-275-0-58055200-1389103185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Velouria