SRAM announces complete recall of all road hydraulic rim and disc brakes – stop use immediately

MrJacques

From Bikerumour: http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/13/sram-announces-complete-recall-of-all-road-hydraulic-rim-and-disc-brakes-stop-use-immediately/

UPDATE: SRAM Road Hydraulic Brake Recall – STOP USE IMMEDIATELY

On November 4th SRAM identified and announced a technical issue with respect to a narrow production range of its RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Road Brakes. At that time, it was described as a performance and safety concern with no reported failures in the field.

It has recently come to our attention that during last weekend’s Cyclocross racing in the US, in sub freezing temperatures, several failures were reported. In these conditions the master cylinder seals failed to hold pressure resulting in abrupt loss of brake power, and an inability to stop the bike. These failures are related to product that is outside the originally stated date code range and unrelated to the original failure mode. No injuries have been reported to date.

As a result of this new finding, SRAM requests that anyone who has a bike equipped with SRAM Hydraulic Disc or Hydraulic Rim Brakes stop using the bike immediately. All products shipped to date, and currently in the market or in inventory will be recalled.

"in sub freezing temperatures, several failures were reported."

Those on the coast are probably safe ^_^

Yeah, I think we'll be safe here :) Probably doing the recall as a precaution.

It's caused chaos for this weekends cyclo cross racing.Meckies busy rebuilding bikes and trying to find normal brakes.

Official are not allowing the riders to race with these after the recall.

problem is sorted. It was only limited to few brake sets but because brakes are kind of important to most riders, SRAM recalled the lot. its the responsible thing to do. Those brake sets that get returned will probably be rebuilt and given to sponsored riders.

The kind of problem encountered could happen to any manufacturer

they're getting mechanical replacements right? and Eur 150.00 compensation I read somewhere, I'd be p|ssed if I just shelled out big bucks for a 2014 RED hydro disc'd roadbike and now have to roll around on 15 year old mechanical disc brake tech........

It sounds like just a couple of replacement seals and a fluid top up nothing too major, most reasonable bike shops would be able to handle it. I doubt complete equipment changes it would be too costly and time wasting to go the complete refit route for a few seals. lets see how it pans out.

• Europe:
    • Through the customer’s chosen Dealer, SRAM will provide a mechanical brake system to replace the customer’s hydraulic rim or disc brakes.
    • SRAM also will provide to the customer an option of either receiving the new hydraulic braking system when the redesign is complete, or a cheque/check for EUR 150.
    • SRAM will provide a fair labor cost cash reimbursement to the Dealer for all installs.

[*]Asia:

• Through the customer’s chosen Dealer, SRAM will provide a mechanical rim or disc brake system to replace a customer’s hydraulic rim or disc brakes.
    • SRAM also will provide to the customer an option of either receiving the new hydraulic braking system when the redesign is complete, or a cheque/check for US$ 200.
    • SRAM will provide a fair labor cost reimbursement to the dealer for all installs.

[*]North America:

SRAM is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to finalize a comprehensive and approved solution. Here is what we can commit for customers as we work through this process:

• Through the customer’s chosen Dealer, SRAM will provide a mechanical rim or disc brake system to replace a customer’s hydraulic rim or disc brake system.
    • SRAM will provide a fair labor cost cash reimbursement to the dealer for all installs.
    • SRAM will provide a voucher for product or cash reimbursement in an amount to be determined between SRAM and the CPSC.

And I neaaarly bought a set now. Decided against it at the last moment. Now I will wait a lot longer.

That Bend race that they failed, some riders got frost bite!

Yeah, there seem to be discussions now as to how cold is too cold for cyclocross racing.

Yeah, there seem to be discussions now as to how cold is too cold for cyclocross racing.

With Team Cannondale's Tim Johnson saying .. Problem, what problem?