Anyone have info on SA-made LeJeune cycles?

CanAmSteve

I'm on my annual Cape migration and this year I picked up a nice old steel-framed "LeJeune" bike. It's (I'm guessing) an late 80s/early 1990s vintage, with 2X7 Shimano 105 group w/downtube shifters.

Most interesting is the tubeset - it's labelled "Super Prestige" (and "hand built by Le Jeune cycles") and is the "fluted" or ribbed type that Calnago used on some frames. I think it is also refrred to as Gilco tubing.

But how it ended up in this bike is difficult to tell. There is a frame builder in Belleville (name du Toit) and he seems linked to the current-day SA LeJeune (see http://www.lejeune.co/) and also steel frame building, but a note sent gets no reply.

Can anyone help with any info? Thanks - Steve

if Im not under correction my Hanson also had "super prestige" written on it as I think Gotty and Francois worked together building bikes back in the day. Francois is still a master frame builder down here in Durbanville and a very busy man so wouldnt be surprised if he is taking a break. I know he follows me on Facebook so you might be able to contact him via that channel if his available. Great frame you have there a truelly proudly SA product

Thanks for the comments - I will send a note again after ther holidays. The bike is in good nick but a bit on the small side for me. I've found a crankset in better condition and will probably go to bar-end shifters and 8 speed cassete (keeping the old parts for history). I'll post a photo when it's done. Here's last year's project, a SA-built LeTurbo (I do have French heritage :-) resprayed by BMC for me.post-40746-0-54815300-1387311943_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi canamsteve, Francoise Du Toit built Lejeune in the 70's to. He was an excellent frame builder and I hear he has started building frames again.

Try and get him up on facebook or get hold of Chris Willemse at Chris Willemse Cycles in Cape Town on how to get hold FdT .........if cannot assist you no one can!

Regards

Sven

My friend had a gold Le Jeune that he got as an insurance replacement many years back.

The idiot wrapped string around it (as a sort of mask) and sprayed it black with a rattle can. The paint work was terrible and the paint ran into all the little spots where the string was supposed to mask it off.

He totally stuffed up a perfect, brand new bike. Still to this day, I can't believe what he did.

hey.... reading Le Turbo and Hanson takes me right back to 1995 when i started!!! Loved my Le Turbo but always wanted a Hanson.  :thumbup:

Back then helmets were rare, alloy was the new thing and Lance was the coolest! Times have changed hey...lol

I want one of these bikes for the Tour of Area. Except for Junkmail, where do you keep an eye out for these bad boys?

Hi Steve

Please post pictures in the Retro Bike thread. That's where most of the classic bike fundies hang out and they will enjoy it and be happy to share whatever info they have.

Edited by DJR

I want one of these bikes for the Tour of Area. Except for Junkmail, where do you keep an eye out for these bad boys?

There's a nice ZINI going for cheap, contact Radbaby here in the HUB

If you search the HUB for South African Frame builders, there was a thread about a year ago, lots of posts iro Hansom, LeJeune etc 

Edit: bloody thumbs

Edited by HeyYou

Le jeune was fdt off the shelf std frames. His custom bikes were labelled du toit

Both could be tange or Reynolds tubing

He built me a custom 531P Le Jeune frame in 1986....

Metallic charcoal grey with yellow writing.