Need some help/advice buying a MTB

Andrewjw

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trash every one on the flats?......bit overconfident I think.

Nope, its simple science. Taking to account that fitness and strength are on equal levels and bikes compared are of equal weight and component quality etc.

Hi guys,

I need some advise.

I am 1.91 (1.92 on a good day) and about 110kg. I am looking for a MTB. Want to cycle at least twice a week and do the odd MTB race.

I am a beginner - use to do some cycling 7-8 years ago on a hardtail 26er.

Now, for my question - I have a budget of R6000 to R8500 - should i buy a second hand dual suspension 26er or should i buy a very entry level 29er hardtail (second hand or brand new)?

I have never riden a 29er or a 26er dual suspension.

Is there really a huge differance between the two?

Have had conflicting sugestions/recomendations and personally dont really mind having a 26er with better components than an entry level 29er............ please comment.

Also would i need to get an XL frame or would a Large suffice?

Thanks in advance

You must go for the 29 er due to your height and weight. Buy a second hand Giant XTC because their standard wheels are bombproof. I started one one of these and this bike will take you to the next level. And yes a XL.

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

• 1 month later...

Yes i did - Brand new condition - and the seller was extremely helpful!

Very Pleasant experience - even dropped off the MTB at my premesis!

At 110kg he will never get enough grip from a 26 "tyre to ride any moderate climbs .

What!?

Care to explain.....

What!?

Care to explain.....

I agree, I was 110kg+ a few years back and had no issues with grip, lungs and muscles were a different story though!

My word, so much wheel size opinion derived from bike shop sales pitches and bike advertising nonsense on this thread.

Enjoy the new bike!

Yeah. I mean, I wish I had more grip going up to haul my 100kg frame to the top. On my 26er.

Oh, wait - no. I don't.

I had an amazing weekend of riding my bike - did a trail at Haazendal and absolutely loved it!!! Bit of a sore bum this morning but otherwise it was great!!!