Modderfontein reserve trails

Any update on the conditions ad Modderfontein after all the rain? I know in the past it became very muddy and messy.

Also are they open Weekdays and if so what time do they open?

Right now Modders is perfect. The rain has cleared up a lot of the sandy areas and grip levels are amazing.

It only becomes really muddy towards the end of summer when the ground becomes saturated/water table is at max - then massive mud patches appear.

I'm guessing there will be another 2-3 month period where Modders is unrideable this year - same as last year. Ok not unrideable but where every ride gets followed by a clean and service.

All the info you need is here: http://www.centralparktrails.co.za/

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now Modders is perfect. The rain has cleared up a lot of the sandy areas and grip levels are amazing.

It only becomes really muddy towards the end of summer when the ground becomes saturated/water table is at max - then massive mud patches appear.

I'm guessing there will be another 2-3 month period where Modders is unrideable this year - same as last year. Ok not unrideable but where every ride gets followed by a clean and service.

All the info you need is here: http://www.centralparktrails.co.za/

Yip. I remember last year November and December. 

I practically destroyed my crappy Mongoose hardtail (my beginner bike), when I waded through the mud there. The mud finds its way into every possible nook and cranny. 

Yip. I remember last year November and December. 

I practically destroyed my crappy Mongoose hardtail (my beginner bike), when I waded through the mud there. The mud finds its way into every possible nook and cranny. 

Mud. I'm allergic.

It stains my cloths and adds another 2 hours to every ride for cleaning and servicing. Nothing worse than the scraping sound a dirty chain makes - you can hear the teeth being worn off.

I'm a fair weather rider now :-)

• 2 weeks later...

So looks like this is all systems go sadly ...

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/chinese-outline-plans-for-mammoth-r84bn-modderfontein-city-2014-04-09

"The development, dubbed Zendai Modderfontein, would be funded by Zendai, the Export-Import Bank of China and the China Development Bank and was envisaged to house 100 000 residents, and employ a further 200 000 people upon its completion in 2024."

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/chinese-outline-plans-for-mammoth-r84bn-modderfontein-city-2014-04-09

"The development, dubbed Zendai Modderfontein, would be funded by Zendai, the Export-Import Bank of China and the China Development Bank and was envisaged to house 100 000 residents, and employ a further 200 000 people upon its completion in 2024."

We moved into Thornhill Estate in Modderfontein on Monday. I hope this is not a decision I'll regret in time...

when are the night rides? Love Modders, definately has changed in the last couple of years..

:clap:  :clap:

I think its on Wednesdays..

South Africa is being colonised and people barely even notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Any ideas if the restaurant is open during the Dec holidays over Xmas, Is the picnic area open? Can't get hold of anyone on the contact details

Someone asked on the Central Park Trails Facebook page and the answer was that the trails are open every day of the festive season. So that means picnic area open too.

Contact Val Bonne Country Estate by phone to check on restaurant. See their webpage for details.

Any ideas if the restaurant is open during the Dec holidays over Xmas, Is the picnic area open? Can't get hold of anyone on the contact details

Picnic area by the fish eagle dam as long as the reserve is open, restaurant I'm not sure. Looked empty on Wednesday. (33 high is open though, and much better IMO)

Someone asked on the Central Park Trails Facebook page and the answer was that the trails are open every day of the festive season. So that means picnic area open too.

Contact Val Bonne Country Estate by phone to check on restaurant. See their webpage for details.

Thanks, Last year picnic area was closed off because the restaurant was closed, Apparently its separate from the trails, I have tried to contact both the numbers and left a voice message, I guess that tells me its closed..

We moved into Thornhill Estate in Modderfontein on Monday. I hope this is not a decision I'll regret in time...

Thornhill for the win

Thanks, Last year picnic area was closed off because the restaurant was closed, Apparently its separate from the trails, I have tried to contact both the numbers and left a voice message, I guess that tells me its closed..

Picnic area by Fish Eagle dam can't be closed off and is separate from the restaurant, and the best spot to go with family and bikes. I would think it would be open.

• 1 month later...

Id love to know exactly where they will be building. Some people have been saying that the reserve will be unaffected but I just looked on google earth and I'm not sure how big 1600 Ha actually is but i'm sure its pretty big. The open area looks massive as it spreads all the way towards allandale but I have no idea how much of that land belongs/belonged to AEL. If we lucky it will be further north(ish) towards allandale/chloorkop side.

Archived