Modderfontein reserve trails

Im not a fan of trail circuits but  rode modder for the first time saturday , I rode the red route and did 43km according to Strava . I got lost coming out of the section along at the spruit and ended up at a security gate going out to High Rd . I then saw 4 others also lost looking at a GPS . The leader said that it showed a trail but it was was not any of the marked routes . We followed him and it was a section going through the old offices . We literally rode through the old demolished buildings offices, passages , stair cases and even tunnels  the area had also recently had a fire go through the trees so it was really dirty . This was an amazing section for about 4 km . I then found my partner coming the opposite way and joined him for the journey home . I only gripe was the hikers that crowed the single track coming in the opposite direction . We are traveling at 15 to 20 kph and yet they don't move off line to let us through . I know we all  pay and have a right to use the reserve but be considerate . 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not a fan of trail circuits but  rode modder for the first time saturday , I rode the red route and did 43km according to Strava . I got lost coming out of the section along at the spruit and ended up at a security gate going out to High Rd . I then saw 4 others also lost looking at a GPS . The leader said that it showed a trail but it was was not any of the marked routes . We followed him and it was a section going through the old offices . We literally rode through the old demolished buildings offices, passages , stair cases and even tunnels  the area had also recently had a fire go through the trees so it was really dirty . This was an amazing section for about 4 km . I then found my partner coming the opposite way and joined him for the journey home . I only gripe was the hikers that crowed the single track coming in the opposite direction . We are traveling at 15 to 20 kph and yet they don't move off line to let us through . I know we all  pay and have a right to use the reserve but be considerate . 

I was under the impression that the hikers are not allowed on the mtb trails? I was there on Saturday but not to ride. Was at a kids bday party and saw a lot of hikers across from the dam on trails that we not allowed to ride on. Maybe they were also lost? 

I was under the impression that the hikers are not allowed on the mtb trails? I was there on Saturday but not to ride. Was at a kids bday party and saw a lot of hikers across from the dam on trails that we not allowed to ride on. Maybe they were also lost? 

I dont think they were lost , just shows how lost we were HAHA

• 1 month later...

What is your guys opinion on riding modders alone? Is it slightly risky? That is on a weekday morning. I'm sure a weekend it's pumping so should be cool on a weekend.

What is your guys opinion on riding modders alone? Is it slightly risky? That is on a weekday morning. I'm sure a weekend it's pumping so should be cool on a weekend.

Done it a few times and never felt uncomfortable or had issues... IMO should be fine.

Done it a few times and never felt uncomfortable or had issues... IMO should be fine.

No issues at all.  Ridden during the week many times and usually it's only me and maybe a car or two.  Always felt safe.  I would recommend that you carry a GPS as the trails have been reversed and let's just say that the marking needs to improve (turning signs upside down don't really help). 

Edited by m-squared