ZTR wheet set,front wheel not centre

Sidmouth

So I eventually splash out on a set of ZTR Arch 29

On the first ride I notice that the front wheel is very much to the left, from a riding position I see the rubber on the left and nothing on the right from the top tube angle as the wheel rotates.

I could try and manipulate the QR in the fork to lean the wheel back into position but I would prefer for it to be seated flush on the fork.

I took it back to the LBS where I bought the wheels the previous day, the salesman said the wheel needed to be dished, so I left them to it, got the bike back in a hour to discover they had filed one drop out in the fork down to compensated, as they said the wheels were perfectly dished.

Is this a standard practice? My previous wheel set sat flush in the same fork, or is it ok to be slightly out

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the same wheels a few weeks ago and all is in order. Wheel building seems to be something of an art. Could it be that your tires are not seated straight?

I'd make them fix the problem and repair the forks they forked up.

Edited by Jigghead

No that is NOT common practice! Your lbs needs to be taken to task. The front wheel should be dished according to the hub it has. Disc hub = dished differently and it must line up with the centre of the fork crown. To FILE THE FORK DROPOUT is very very very bad form. They owe you a very good explanation and possibly a new sett of fork lowers

On the first ride I notice that the front wheel is very much to the left, from a riding position I see the rubber on the left and nothing on the right from the top tube angle as the wheel rotates.

I could try and manipulate the QR in the fork to lean the wheel back into position but I would prefer for it to be seated flush on the fork.

I took it back to the LBS where I bought the wheels the previous day, the salesman said the wheel needed to be dished, so I left them to it, got the bike back in a hour to discover they had filed one drop out in the fork down to compensated, as they said the wheels were perfectly dished.

Is this a standard practice? My previous wheel set sat flush in the same fork, or is it ok to be slightly out

absolutely not normal.

get them to dish the wheel while you wait.or

get a one of the very few wheel builders in Cape Town to do it properly at their expense.

Edited by Madone69

Sometimes forks have excess paint etc in the drop out. Sometimes it may need to be cleaned up.

Here's how to check if they did the right thing. Take a tape measure/ruler and measure the distance from rim to fork both sides. It should be equal. Now turn the wheel 90 degrees and measure again. Do that 4 times and you'll have one full rotation od measurement. If all the numbers are pretty close then they did the right thing.

Stick your old wheel back in a measure again.

If the numbers are more than a few mm out then they have farked your fork. Yell at them.

It depends how badly they filed it, but I have never ever had to file a fork.

I would still bank on the dishing.

Ask them to show you their dishing tool.

put the wheel in the wrong round, cannot ride it as the brakes are in the way, but just from my observation, looks to be even more dis-centered to the right, the tight way round and the wheel is to the left,

I think they where in a rush and this was the fasted way to solve it, 23 Dec not a great day to get a mechnic

put the wheel in the wrong round, cannot ride it as the brakes are in the way, but just from my observation, looks to be even more dis-centered to the right, the tight way round and the wheel is to the left,

I think they where in a rush and this was the fasted way to solve it, 23 Dec not a great day to get a mechnic

Few things that grate me here.

Dishing would be quicker than filing/modifying a fork.

You never and I mean never customize or file a clients bike, and that stuff that Mr. Bornman suggested for a full length cable (that is for the client to do) not the shop.

Did they build the wheels ?

I bought the entire wheel-set from them a few days earlier, I think they are straight from the ZTR factor, so factory built with Stans 3.30 hubs, they opened the box in front of me.

I bought the entire wheel-set from them a few days earlier, I think they are straight from the ZTR factor, so factory built with Stans 3.30 hubs, they opened the box in front of me.

Still, dude. Even a brand new wheelset still needs to be dished correctly more often than not. Yet another reason to take them to a reputable wheel builder.

But dude, you NEED to go back and demand rectification of the problem. Cos it is a problem.

If they were hand built that dishing could be out, if their machine that builds was not calibrated properly, it could be out.

I assume your previous wheel on the same fork was not out of alignment? Just have to check ^_^

The shop really should have let you know that they were planning to file your fork as it will be difficult (if not impossible) to return it to it's original state. Even if they did, it still sounds like a suspect procedure.

Edited by Nick.

Watching this thread closely!

From what you have said the actions of this lbs are incorrect and downright dangerous.

By reversing the wheel and the offset is to the other side, surely that shows the rim is not center on the hub, that is what 'dishing' is about right? I build my own wheels, do not have a dishing tool but by flipping it over in the truing stand, you can see if its off-center very easily, and so by doing that in the fork, same thing, I am not suggesting you ride it like that, just to check the 'dishing'.

Then they filed one drop out to center the wheel, so surely now when you stand the bike up vertically and look at both wheels along the axis of the bike, the front wheel will be skew/tilted (after their filing solution).

I would ask for a full refund for the wheels if they are not going to get the dishing sorted or swopped out, and a new fork, since they have damaged it by filing.