ZTR wheet set,front wheel not centre

Sidmouth

Any mechanical engineer would tell you that filing the dropout if done right would not create any risks - even if you remove 1mm - to have better matching surfaces between the hub flanges and the dropout tabs give a much stronger joint - I mean then what do you say about the dropout facing tool, or the brake tab facing tool, all removing material where it matters?

Yeah, but the OP claims the filing caused " a tilt on the wheel" That is not your straightforward facing job.

Touch my bike in any way to modify it, and all hell will break loose, unfortunately there are mechanics running around that weren't trained by a person with any qualified training themselves.

The proper thing to have done.

Call the client in to the workshop, show him how the new wheel sits.

Take his old wheel mount it in a new bike or fork and see if the problem is still there (he did claim that the old wheel was fine) or even better ,check the dishing on the old wheel.

Take the new wheel and in front of his eyes show him that the dishing is correct, if you then find that the problem is in actual fact with the fork, ask his permission and preferably get it in writing that he gives you permission to modify his fork.

The SID's you are on about.

Cape Cycles at the time were very kind to circulate documentation amongst their dealers with a band of serial numbers in which some faulty forks could possibly have made their way in to the hands of the public and SRAM made it very clear that if such forks were to be found, there will be a warranty procedure that would take place.

I will say it again, alter any bit of my bike, new or used and all hell will break loose.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

iRide...the principal is still very wrong to remove material from the fork without the owner's permission and of the fork was still under warranty and needed to go into the local agents they would reject any claims even if it was unrelated

Thanks Hairy, plain and simple :thumbup:

The fork in question here is on a used bike, however you are correct about claim rejections.

Some hub experts and McGyvers won't get that.

just crazy stuff going on here bud??

Do NOT file my bike EVER!

I would not stand down from this crap-they should cover all costs and maybe even look at the qualifications of the team at your local bikers joint? :cursing:

Facing, or filing dropout tabs is std. practice and the responses here merely indicates a total lack of knowledge.

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/suspension/rockshox-sid-wheel-not-sitting-straight

http://morningstartools.com/Documents/dft.png

In my beginning years I worked at a shop who was contracted to set up ride height and alignment on brand new vehicles from Merc, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Mazda etc. If you know how poorly new vehicles come set up from the factory you'd laugh - there simply is not time to do it properly as tolerances we worked at are less than a 10th of a degree... just loosening a bolt and tightening it again can create up to a degree or more change...

Many of these vehicles don't have adjustment cams or slots and methods prescribed by the manufacturers are same as with this fork... sometimes control arms or rods are shimmed to achieve the desired spec... other times holes are slotted to enable adjustment... standard practice...

I do agree however that the shop should first have determined that the lowers are skew and informed the client of the option to replace to lowers or file/scrape/face the lowers at the clients own risk...

Had a friend who's der hanger broke.....He took this to the lbs ....They filed down his frame to accept a hanger in Stock as they never had one to match his frame...without his permission...wtf

Facing, or filing dropout tabs is std. practice and the responses here merely indicates a total lack of knowledge.

I think we agreed on that.

I shudder to thinks what they do with a 20mm thru axle.

Filing is the lazy fix. To move a dish 6mm is a fairly quick job.

0.5mm change at the dropout needed for 6mm change at the arch for a 29er wheel... insignificant...
and if said wrench is in a hurry and takes off more than required the problem compounds.

I would love to know why the previous wheel was fine and not the new wheel.

Seriously. .....modify my bike without my consent and will not be a very civil client in the store or on social media!

Respect to the op though for keeping the lbs name out of this thread till he has had a chance to sort it out with the lbs

http://faqload.com/f...itting-straight

http://morningstarto...cuments/dft.png

In my beginning years I worked at a shop who was contracted to set up ride height and alignment on brand new vehicles from Merc, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Mazda etc. If you know how poorly new vehicles come set up from the factory you'd laugh - there simply is not time to do it properly as tolerances we worked at are less than a 10th of a degree... just loosening a bolt and tightening it again can create up to a degree or more change...

Many of these vehicles don't have adjustment cams or slots and methods prescribed by the manufacturers are same as with this fork... sometimes control arms or rods are shimmed to achieve the desired spec... other times holes are slotted to enable adjustment... standard practice...

I do agree however that the shop should first have determined that the lowers are skew and informed the client of the option to replace to lowers or file/scrape/face the lowers at the clients own risk...

What lack of knowledge??

STD practice on NEW bikes maybe,but why was his previous wheel not off?

Sorry... Tell the OP to buy a Makro or a Game special so he can learn this standard practice.

If you pay too dollar for a bike and some bush mechanic must file it... It's crap

Had a friend who's der hanger broke.....He took this to the lbs ....They filed down his frame to accept a hanger in Stock as they never had one to match his frame...without his permission...wtf

Heads would roll, no doubt about it

What lack of knowledge??

STD practice on NEW bikes maybe,but why was his previous wheel not off?

Facing dropouts, yeah I have to say in all my years of working on bikes that is ripping me a new one.

Biggest load if cra@p I have read since Santa fell down my chimney.

Makes me wonder why a "dropout facing tool" is not a catalogued item ,and I hope he doesn't confuse it with a dropout alignment tool.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Facing dropouts, yeah I have to say in all my years of working on bikes that is ripping me a new one.

Biggest load if cra@p I have read since Santa fell down my chimney.

Makes me wonder why a "dropout facing tool" is not a catalogued item ,and I hope he doesn't confuse it with a dropout alignment tool.

Dropout facing tool...

Sounds like Malema in his final year of primary school