Not much time to train.

flyluis

So ive got quite a good base at the moment but with work getting very hectic i can only fit in around four rides (two to three hours) a week max. I know I'm not going to win any races but just want to stay fit for MTB marathons and road races.

Any advice on my training? What and how often should i do intervals? When should i fit in the long slow rides?

Thanks.

Chris Carmichael....Armstrong's coach at one stage .....mmmmmmmm

If anyone knows how to extract that little "extra" from someone - it's him :)

Thats loads of time to train !!

Many elite riders manage 1 hour sessions a day during the week on the IDT then one 3 hour ride on the weekend.

During exams i spent 1-2 hours on the IDT a day even in the best weather so i had more time to study, and i could do more intense sessions. Intervals recover intervals recover, thats all you need.

Thats loads of time to train !!

Many elite riders manage 1 hour sessions a day during the week on the IDT then one 3 hour ride on the weekend.

During exams i spent 1-2 hours on the IDT a day even in the best weather so i had more time to study, and i could do more intense sessions. Intervals recover intervals recover, thats all you need.

Is spinning beneficial, or should I stick with an IDT?

So ive got quite a good base at the moment but with work getting very hectic i can only fit in around four rides (two to three hours) a week max. I know I'm not going to win any races but just want to stay fit for MTB marathons and road races.

Any advice on my training? What and how often should i do intervals? When should i fit in the long slow rides?

Thanks.

I wish I could ride that much!

Sorry, got that wrong. In the week ill get around 2 1hr sessions in and on weekend a 2 hr ride and a 3 hr ride so can get max around 8hrs a week in.

This is specifically where a personalised training program will be of the most benefit. You can pick up a good base, and sure you could quite possibly come right with bits of info off the Internet, and from the loads of books out there, and you will most likely see an improvement, but if you want to be the best you can be, with your specific time constraints in mind, you will have to go the individualised route. We're with Dinamic, so I would obviously recommend us, but there are many other coaches out there, who share the same ideas as we do. If you would like to discuss some of the principles behind individualized programs, you are welcome to drop me a line!

Want the short answer?

Do the PUKIES!

What do you mean "you don't know what they are"? Then you need the long answer:

10 - 15 minutes warm up

Then intervals of:

1 minute maximum effort

1minute recover

Repeat between 5 and 10 times as you improve

(Your last one should be the one just before you puke)

Cool down 10 -15 minutes

Stretch all over

Done in anything between 30 minutes and 1 hour

PS They are unpleasant but they WORK.

Edited by DJR

Sorry, got that wrong. In the week ill get around 2 1hr sessions in and on weekend a 2 hr ride and a 3 hr ride so can get max around 8hrs a week in.

That's still loads of time. You can stay plenty fit on 4 sessions a week. Wish I had that amount of training time!!