Not much time to train.

flyluis

so what happens in you don't have a base to start from .... :blush:

You puke ..and puke .....I puked the other day ..I swallowed a flying insect of some sorts whilst doing an ftp run ..... :)

Dont complicate matters: Less time means more intensity. Use Fittrack - they use time vs intensity to give points. Forget the time per week. Just make up the points with higher intensity.

Then you wouldn't be alone. 90% of all the guys (and girls) we test, have crap endurance - they come in for a test hoping to get a program which will be filled with intervals and "puke" sessions, only to leave with a 6 week program involving some very long rides at nice low HR or Power values.

It's all well and good doing your puke sessions, but if you haven't built up a good endurance base you'll be like a 16yo bloke whose just stuck his hand up his girlfriends blouse.....

You just suffer a little more than the rest ;)

Edited by Gen

Guest Latent Blue

I would have loved this much time to train. Be thankful!

Sadly we all would love more time to train. But hey we do the best with what time we have.

................It's all well and good doing your puke sessions, but if you haven't built up a good endurance base you'll be like a 16yo bloke whose just stuck his hand up his girlfriends blouse.....

Agreed, where do I sign up for the program that end s there? ;) :D

Then you wouldn't be alone. 90% of all the guys (and girls) we test, have crap endurance - they come in for a test hoping to get a program which will be filled with intervals and "puke" sessions, only to leave with a 6 week program involving some very long rides at nice low HR or Power values.

It's all well and good doing your puke sessions, but if you haven't built up a good endurance base you'll be like a 16yo bloke whose just stuck his hand up his girlfriends blouse.....

ok, so what if there is no time for long rides at low HR values? and what is a low HR, never mind what is a long ride?

ok, so what if there is no time for long rides at low HR values? and what is a low HR, never mind what is a long ride?

Whahahaha..

My long low HR ride are my favourites.. those when you spin your legs while having a fat chat to your riding buddy.

So ive got quite a good base at the moment but with work getting very hectic i can only fit in around four rides (two to three hours) a week max. I know I'm not going to win any races but just want to stay fit for MTB marathons and road races.

Any advice on my training? What and how often should i do intervals? When should i fit in the long slow rides?

Thanks.

With a good base as you say you already have you just need literally 2 hours a week. I managed a Sub 3 Argus & a Sub 7 Attakwas on just 2 hours a week (1 hour on Tues & 1 hour Thursday) long ride is your race you do on a weekend or if there is no race do your normal Long Ride at Tempo pace. Pm me if you want a interval specific Training Program.

Edit for Free

Edited by milky4130

We refer to long rides as between 3.5 and 4.5 hours. You really need to try and get at least one of these in on a weekend. In ideal conditions, most people can fit that in, but in the case of the guy we just coached for the DC, he commutes between JHB and CT to see his girlfriend, and to compound that, he has a kid. So there was no way he could do 4 hrs continuously. What we did there was to split up his sessions on the IDT - not ideal at all, but better than nothing. He was doing two 1.5hr sessions per day on the Tacx.

HR values are very subjective - so if I said to you you must train at a HR of 135 I would be doing you an injustice. We do Lactate tests on all the athletes who come and test, and from there, we then establish what your ideal training zones are. So my low HR zone of 135 might be too low for you, or could be way too high for someone else.

Actually we prefer to use power as an indicator, as we have found that power is an absolute, whereas sometimes, HR values can be deceptive.....

We refer to long rides as between 3.5 and 4.5 hours. You really need to try and get at least one of these in on a weekend. In ideal conditions, most people can fit that in, but in the case of the guy we just coached for the DC, he commutes between JHB and CT to see his girlfriend, and to compound that, he has a kid. So there was no way he could do 4 hrs continuously. What we did there was to split up his sessions on the IDT - not ideal at all, but better than nothing. He was doing two 1.5hr sessions per day on the Tacx.

HR values are very subjective - so if I said to you you must train at a HR of 135 I would be doing you an injustice. We do Lactate tests on all the athletes who come and test, and from there, we then establish what your ideal training zones are. So my low HR zone of 135 might be too low for you, or could be way too high for someone else.

Actually we prefer to use power as an indicator, as we have found that power is an absolute, whereas sometimes, HR values can be deceptive.....

So the last time i did a LT test it was at 162bpm, so where should i keep my HR with the longer rides?