Declassify signal hill trails: allow MTBers back!

Capricorn

Hmm, I know.. The signs lasted a total of 5 mins. I have photos of one baboon picking the crap out of a sign, I took it from where I was sinking the next one in the ground.. this is how the day went.

Already working on solutions.. :-(

I hope you understand now that the laminated signs you graciously provided would have been subject to the same treatment, just putting up less of a challenge by about 4 mins.

:D :D

It is all your own fault for not getting the signs pre-approved by the Tokai Baboon Troops Association. It serves you right for not consulting widely enough before putting these inappropriate things up. How would you feel if the Baboons started changing the street names where you live? Some would call it vandalism. Better talk to them nicely next time!

;) ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D :D

It is all your own fault for not getting the signs pre-approved by the Tokai Baboon Troops Association. It serves you right for not consulting widely enough before putting these inappropriate things up. How would you feel if the Baboons started changing the street names where you live? Some would call it vandalism. Better talk to them nicely next time!

;) ;)

Boggom

Rob: any thing that i can assist with to get the ball rolling on reclassification of the SH trails? In fact, could additional trails be tabled?

Those signs of R500 fine have been around for 20 years.Sometimes they are gone for a while and then new ones are put in place but the fact remains that certain areas of signal hill and table mountain are illegal.We mtbikers love to throw words around like 'co exist,share etc' but fact remains when there is a trail that is nice ,even if it's illegal to hell with all rules and laws we going to ride it.You only have to look at how many strava points have been created on the illegal side of signal hill to see how many mtbikers are in fact breaking the law.Almost every time I go to the blockhouse I see a group of riders riding the single track above the blockhouse and tafelberg rd.Mountain bikers have unfortunately become the same as the roadie mentality.Quick to play the victim,but hard for us to follow the rules and laws.

R500 fine 20 years ... couldnt you get a car for that then?

Rob: any thing that i can assist with to get the ball rolling on reclassification of the SH trails? In fact, could additional trails be tabled?

Cap, I know that he's trying as hard as he can to motivate additional trail. But at the moment, there are those same 3 letters being thrown back at us all. EMP...

Guest Omega Man

Cap, I know that he's trying as hard as he can to motivate additional trail. But at the moment, there are those same 3 letters being thrown back at us all. EMP...

Jees you guys have so much patience.

I don't think it is that bad anymore, since the mtb'ers have taken on the costs and responsibility a new attitude is showing among thoise known to be obstacles.. We can still operate on the 2002 version emp but lots has changed in the sport which needs updating. Trails will become a parallel discussion while the new EMP goes through it's motions..

On the cards soon will be to engage the other users, think it may even be to present the vision for mtb areas (obviously following public mtb meetings to get the comment and approval). Cap I think since this involves you in SH, you could be a good go-to guy for info.. glad to see you are offering services to the forum, sure Rob will want to chat to you at some point.

I don't think it is that bad anymore, since the mtb'ers have taken on the costs and responsibility a new attitude is showing among thoise known to be obstacles.. We can still operate on the 2002 version emp but lots has changed in the sport which needs updating. Trails will become a parallel discussion while the new EMP goes through it's motions..

On the cards soon will be to engage the other users, think it may even be to present the vision for mtb areas (obviously following public mtb meetings to get the comment and approval). Cap I think since this involves you in SH, you could be a good go-to guy for info.. glad to see you are offering services to the forum, sure Rob will want to chat to you at some point.

I'll gladly provide assistance where its needed. While my main aim is just the existing trail (can't even use a plural here), it would be a bit dumb to miss the opportunity, for additional trails, presented by what seems like a very welcome change in mindset from the powers that be.

Guest Omega Man

Dude, my stock of oooooh-sah is just about empty at this point. Need to recharge. For that, I think a ride is in dire need.

The trails are pretty fun after the rain. I'd get on it quick before the desert returns.

Yeah. Except I'm at home, stuck wiff the family. Meh. Can't even finish the ottoman I have started for the lounge.

was wondering where you were. kept a low profile past few days.

Let's meet , then I can explain to you how the process works. Anyone else interested in getting some background on the trails and why they were classified the way they are , can come along. Happy to organise an open discussion.

Is this the whole of signal hill? Or is it just the sea point side? What about the Bo Kaap side that is used for red bull urban assault? No One walks there, in fact just a few mtb'ers. It is mainly jeep track and one section of single track leading back to behind the fire station.

Let's meet , then I can explain to you how the process works. Anyone else interested in getting some background on the trails and why they were classified the way they are , can come along. Happy to organise an open discussion.

When shall we make it for? How does this weekend sound?

Is this the whole of signal hill? Or is it just the sea point side? What about the Bo Kaap side that is used for red bull urban assault? No One walks there, in fact just a few mtb'ers. It is mainly jeep track and one section of single track leading back to behind the fire station.

All the trails above the tar road. Apparently, that's always been the case, but limited signage previously 'allowed' cyclists on the trails between signal hill and lions head, and those trails going along the back/seapoint side of signal hill. The one going down to high level road is awesome: stupid fast, and brutally rough.

But there's very low pedestrian usage, and those that are on the trail are easily spotted affording a cyclist to stop and give way. Plenty of trail still left to get a rush.