Declassify signal hill trails: allow MTBers back!

Capricorn

whoa.. there goes the thread. I hope you are extracting the info that actually means something.. Cap, I think Afd was just meaning to look at it from a different perspective - I know you were and have the capacity to do this, so I have been trying to shed light on why it cant "just be so". The point is as Afd has said is ".. those most likely to be making the decision that you are asking to be made... They'll probably have nothing to do with hiking or cycling, but they hold the power to decide. Hence their perspective being an important one from which to think."

I'm sure there is no bad blood between you guys, it's just that anything about trails in TMNP is an emotional one that gets people riled up over nothing in no time.

Everyone chill and extract the info that will help the cause..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PoS: unlike Afd, you know where i stand wrt the process and what it entails. I'm fully aware of who holds the reins on these sorts of decisions. I'm slave to the same machine. It was for this exact reason why I phrased my request as i did: what will it take? It's sort of rhetorical, but it must be asked in the context of Signal Hill because i dont know what the plans are for Signal Hill.

For some bar of soap to come make accusations just irks irrespective of how early it is in the morning. So while i would like to klap him a bit, i wont slash his tyres. So definitely no bad blood :thumbup:

understood.. and your support is greatly appreciated!

@Afd, Cap is a reasonable chap.. just know this.

Sorry for the delay fellas, was cleaning the bike!

PoS, Cap, sorry for any upset! Maybe it's too early in the morning..

Anyway, Cap, it just sounded like a one sided chain of thought through this thread. I though perhaps offering some other perspective would actually help. I'm not here to troll as I find this to be one of the most valuable and informative sites on the www.

Anyway, sorry that ruffled some feathers. Last thing i want to do is derail the thread and it's purpose. Was actually trying to help.

As I said, I hope you guys get the access you want! It would be an amazing thing to offer to the world.

hahah. no worries Afd: i know i can be FoS sometimes :P

PoS: looking forward to the next public discussion regarding the trails. This one's a little closer to home, so quite abit more motivated to offer my 2c on the matter.

Shot dot.. thanks for understanding.

The draft EMP was sent to TMNP for comment a while back.

How long ago did they receive the EMP and what was their agreed timeline for comment?

How long ago did they receive the EMP and what was their agreed timeline for comment?

You would pick that out of the post.. :cursing:

Hey, what's happened, I've been struck by a bout of "vague". All I can recall was it was a little while ago and the agreed date of review is still to be agreed.

Not the answer you were hoping for I'm sure but what does offer some satisfaction is that we have already had a response in terms of process from this point. Our [TMMTB Forum] contracted planner (CNDV) met with the TMNP planning dept and spoke in some 'planning tongue' that dictates the steps from this point. I am waiting for the minutes to be supplied that will detail the time ahead where public is finally included on a planning level. The response from CNDV was positive and hopes are high. Subsequent to this, Rob and I met with TMNP South stretegist Gavin Bell, and it was there he mentioned he would like to be working closer in 2014.

Sounds like a lot of planning, but that is the plan, right? :ph34r:

Sorry. ^_^

Hey, what's happened, I've been struck by a

http://dump.fm/avatars/20121114/1352873485811-dumpfm-stevesanders-static.gif

Sorry. ^_^

Summarised your post :P

Edited by Capricorn

Ag nee, just when I settled in to watch a good fight it ended with hugs and kisses all around. Now what do I do with the popcorn???

Will have to be more alert going forward

Ag nee, just when I settled in to watch a good fight it ended with hugs and kisses all around. Now what do I do with the popcorn???

Will have to be more alert going forward

..your kind is not welcome here, that said I'm sure tempers will rise again, you might want to hang around..

..your kind is not welcome here, that said I'm sure tempers will rise again, you might want to hang around..

Touchy touchy, living up to CPT reputation re hospitality?

You know many capeys are pretty ignorant when it comes to which trails are illegal, that and most probably arent marked clearly enough. I wouldnt throw around accusations that they are doing it purposefully ruining it for everyone, maybe a few but definitely not the majority.

Hey, what's happened, I've been struck by a bout of "vague". All I can recall was it was a little while ago and the agreed date of review is still to be agreed.

Not the answer you were hoping for I'm sure but what does offer some satisfaction is that we have already had a response in terms of process from this point. Our [TMMTB Forum] contracted planner (CNDV) met with the TMNP planning dept and spoke in some 'planning tongue' that dictates the steps from this point. I am waiting for the minutes to be supplied that will detail the time ahead where public is finally included on a planning level. The response from CNDV was positive and hopes are high. Subsequent to this, Rob and I met with TMNP South stretegist Gavin Bell, and it was there he mentioned he would like to be working closer in 2014.

Sorry. ^_^

Heard the rest of the post before, that is what I was interested/curious about.

Trying get an idea of timelines, etc. so I have an idea of when things might happen.

Actually just say f£€# it and enjoy my holiday on the garden route.

You know many capeys are pretty ignorant when it comes to which trails are illegal, that and most probably arent marked clearly enough. I wouldnt throw around accusations that they are doing it purposefully ruining it for everyone, maybe a few but definitely not the majority.

Well then we are in agreement. "We are dealing with some very adamant people who, as few as they are, choose rather not to follow due process but instead flout rules"

I think the tone of this thread is more about how we share a trail.. courtesy for other users more than legal/illegal trails. Besides, the trail is marked but I am tired of that topic for sure!

Guest Omega Man

I think the tone of this thread is more about how we share a trail.. courtesy for other users more than legal/illegal trails. Besides, the trail is marked but I am tired of that topic for sure!

Haha. I wanted to tell you earlier. While Sanparks and the riders might like the new trail signage the Baboons disapprove rather strongly.

They'd dismantled the one at the bottom of DH2. I put them back as best I could and by the time I got back there it was all over the ground again.

Sorry Cap didn't want to derail your thread.

Something I wanted to say earlier about trails. In Switzerland for example a lot of the mtb trails are in fact dual use mtb/walking trails. The MTBers treat riding on the trails as a privilege cos the walkers were using the trails long before mountain bikes arrived on the scene so walkers have right of way. You see a walker you slow down. Make sure you don't scare them. When you clear them you get on the gas again.

There are obviously incidents but no one is going around screaming for mountain bikers to be removed from the trails.

It works for the walkers too cos the trail networks are getting added to far faster now because of mountain bikers.

Everybody wins.

Edited by Omega Man