Declassify signal hill trails: allow MTBers back!

Capricorn

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a really off the wall idea recently - probably get flamed and doubt it would ever happen, but here goes.

Whoever remembers Karbonkelberg when it was rideable up and down (some might even remember driving up there) and the days before you needed a gun to make it out of there - if so, then you will know that it has the most superb view imaginable and the downhill back to the harbour was world class.

So SANPARKS abandoned the upkeep of the road and turned it into a hiking only trail - but now the hikers cant even go there.

So here's the suggestion, turn it into a downhill track, there is only really one way up and one way down and charge an entry fee for security/ access at the gate.

Some other ideas - get local community involved in the manning of the hut and create some jobs re trail maintenance, cause the harbour community sure as hell need any job creation they can get. If they own it they will probably 'police' it.

Worth a thought?

Had a really off the wall idea recently - probably get flamed and doubt it would ever happen, but here goes.

Whoever remembers Karbonkelberg when it was rideable up and down (some might even remember driving up there) and the days before you needed a gun to make it out of there - if so, then you will know that it has the most superb view imaginable and the downhill back to the harbour was world class.

So SANPARKS abandoned the upkeep of the road and turned it into a hiking only trail - but now the hikers cant even go there.

So here's the suggestion, turn it into a downhill track, there is only really one way up and one way down and charge an entry fee for security/ access at the gate.

Some other ideas - get local community involved in the manning of the hut and create some jobs re trail maintenance, cause the harbour community sure as hell need any job creation they can get. If they own it they will probably 'police' it.

Worth a thought?

Somebody did some major clearing and rerouting the trail (AFAIK not SANParks) and it is ridable and sooo much fun.

Ever since I started MTB it's been my understanding that MTB is allowed/tolerated there.

Haven't been up there since the hijacking.

Somebody did some major clearing and rerouting the trail (AFAIK not SANParks) and it is ridable and sooo much fun.

Ever since I started MTB it's been my understanding that MTB is allowed/tolerated there.

Haven't been up there since the hijacking.

When did they do clearing there.

I would love to go up there again - but no go area - SECURITY

Same with the Hout Bay / Sandy Bay / Llandudno area.

Maybe we could organise a group ride as in 12 plus riders over a weekend

(rich pickings if they have fire-arm which is a possibility)

As far as I understand SANPARKS did some clearing and constructed the steps and gutters ( clearly no thought of allowing riders as these stone gutters are rim crunchers), it seemed to be done around the time of the Hout Bay Trail Challenge some years ago.

The only downside for downhill riders is that you have to get up there on your own - but I cannot think of a better natural downhill run which would take so little to adapt.

The muggers are opportunists - they will only attack lone or small groups - same at Sandy Bay.

I ride, run Sandy Bay a lot and feel comfortable there - Karbonkelberg is another story, I would do the trail in reverse, ie Sandy Bay. Suther Peak and down to the Sentinel.

Sorry dont mean to hijack the main constructive thread - mods please move if needs be.

Edited by tubed

Sorry for jumping in so late , spending a few days away from the Mountain to recharge the batteries. PoS has got it spot on so far.

Totally agree with the op sentiments. Signal Hill is the obvious choice to expand the trail network with Newlands Forest being totally off-limits. We stand a better chance of achieving success on SH.

In my personal opinion, 2014 will be the year where a lot will happen.

We have the best chance of success with trail sharing. Re-classifying an existing trail is the least bureaucratic process.I learnt quite a bit about internal processes at San Parks

the other day.

I am happy to have an informal meeting in the new year where we can throw ideas around , meet each other ( I think I know who some of you are, but not for sure) and I can give you my perspective on table mountain, front face and signal hill. If you're interested.

Back in town on the 6th.

Haha. I wanted to tell you earlier. While Sanparks and the riders might like the new trail signage the Baboons disapprove rather strongly.

They'd dismantled the one at the bottom of DH2. I put them back as best I could and by the time I got back there it was all over the ground again.

Sorry Cap didn't want to derail your thread.

Something I wanted to say earlier about trails. In Switzerland for example a lot of the mtb trails are in fact dual use mtb/walking trails. The MTBers treat riding on the trails as a privilege cos the walkers were using the trails long before mountain bikes arrived on the scene so walkers have right of way. You see a walker you slow down. Make sure you don't scare them. When you clear them you get on the gas again.

There are obviously incidents but no one is going around screaming for mountain bikers to be removed from the trails.

It works for the walkers too cos the trail networks are getting added to far faster now because of mountain bikers.

Everybody wins.

Hmm, I know.. The signs lasted a total of 5 mins. I have photos of one baboon picking the crap out of a sign, I took it from where I was sinking the next one in the ground.. this is how the day went.

Already working on solutions.. :-(

I hope you understand now that the laminated signs you graciously provided would have been subject to the same treatment, just putting up less of a challenge by about 4 mins.

Keen to meet up with you Rob. I go back to work on the 7th, but I'm sure we can arrange something with all interested parties re SH trails.

Flowta/Tubed: how do I find this trail at Karbonkelberg?

Cap there is a clear jeep track that starts on the NW edge of the housing area above the harbour.(GoogleEarth)

But dont be tempted - as you go up you are in full view of the residential areas and the gangs.

Keen to meet up with you Rob. I go back to work on the 7th, but I'm sure we can arrange something with all interested parties re SH trails.

Flowta/Tubed: how do I find this trail at Karbonkelberg?

With another 9 sets of eyes!

seems i need a posse... <_<

Guest Omega Man

Hmm, I know.. The signs lasted a total of 5 mins. I have photos of one baboon picking the crap out of a sign, I took it from where I was sinking the next one in the ground.. this is how the day went.

Already working on solutions.. :-(

I hope you understand now that the laminated signs you graciously provided would have been subject to the same treatment, just putting up less of a challenge by about 4 mins.

M. At least the babs's took a break from vandalizing peoples cars. Some guy came riding along as I was fixing the one sign. I hope he didn't think I was vandalizing them.