Woolworths overnight Hyper food inflation!

Icycling

You are eating a dead animal, why are you worried about the smell?!

It means the place is not clean.old blood smells like that.unhygienic

Nothing wrong with the smell of a clean butcher

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woolworths bacon is about R36 per pkt.

Now this price doesn't seem that much higher than PNP @ R28/ R29 per pkt.

Except for the weight of the pkt - WW only has 200gm in theirs,but everyone else has the traditional weight of 250gm.

It really irks me when they reduce pack weight/qty and charge the same price. This is just another way they mark up the prices but it makes me think they are trying to catch consumers unawares...

The input cost of the producer, in this case the farmer, could not be held responsible for sudden price increases of foodstuff because the supermarket would have entered into a contract with a supplier or big farming operation months ago. The price WW would have paid for their watermelons would have been fixed about 6 months ago. Such a contract would stipulate things such as price, quality, quantity and date of delivery. So even if the prizes of seed, fertilizer, labour and chemicals rose by 50 % in the last month it should not have an immediate effect on food prizes. I said should... it gives the big retailers a nice excuse to put prices up immediately though. Watermelons are now hitting the market big time as producers in areas subject to frost in August and September are flooding the market, hence the seasonal drop in prices. Supply and demand.

With regards to clamp down on imported food: All we as producers ask is to be placed on a level playing field with our heavily subsidized EU, American and Latin American counterparts. We don't want government grants we just seek import tariffs to protect our local industries and provide job and food security for our nation.

Maize prices are actually expected to drop as can be clearly seen on the saffex futures. The January contract for white maize closed today at R2930.00 while July closed at R2210. Their is currently a bit of a short squeeze in the market as exports were good and physical stocks are tight. The market is clearly expecting a good crop and that the squeeze will be lifted. The CBOT price of maize which dictates prices all over the world are also well down from its record highs of about a year ago as America is yet again harvesting a bumper crop and world supply and demand numbers are returning to normal levels.

Thanks for this insight into the rationale behind pricing models of big retailers and producers

A great aspect of a network like the hub is there is a diverse group of expertise able to shed light on any Dilemma.

Thanks guys and wishing 2014 brings with it the many joys and pleasures life has to offer.

Woolworths bacon is about R36 per pkt.

Now this price doesn't seem that much higher than PNP @ R28/ R29 per pkt.

Except for the weight of the pkt - WW only has 200gm in theirs,but everyone else has the traditional weight of 250gm.

It really irks me when they reduce pack weight/qty and charge the same price. This is just another way they mark up the prices but it makes me think they are trying to catch consumers unawares...

Which bacon? The wood smoked one in the white packet or the normal one in the blue? Blue packet is definitely 250g. And not R 36 per pack. They also do a larger 500g pack in white packaging for approx R50

Which bacon? The wood smoked one in the white packet or the normal one in the blue? Blue packet is definitely 250g. And not R 36 per pack. They also do a larger 500g pack in white packaging for approx R50

It wasn't the blue packaging- it was more of a brown packaging if memory serves me correctly...