Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

Ok regarding the "seconding vehicle". Can one do without it? Are we even allowed to ride without it? Can I for example ask that my light be left at waterpoint 5 and extra batteries at waterpoint 7? Can I drop off and pick up stuff at waterpoints like warm clothes?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So difficult to enter. Only got my CSA license today. And have to finalise your team now (8 months prior) in order to enter. Wish I could just pay for the entry and sort the rest out later...

I see entries are open. They are asking R3,200 for a team of two and up to R3,800 for a team of 4. 450 teams allowed. So they entry fees should amount to between R1,5m - R1,7m.

What is included with the entry fee? It seems only the race and water points. The route is not marked and you need your own support vehicle.

Is this the going rate for a race of this nature. It will work you out around R7 per kilometre.

Any comments from the guys who have done it last year?

Just do it, one of the best value for many single stage races out there.

WARNING : If the Baviaans gogga bites you, there is no turning back. Going for number 4 this year

Ok regarding the "seconding vehicle". Can one do without it? Are we even allowed to ride without it? Can I for example ask that my light be left at waterpoint 5 and extra batteries at waterpoint 7? Can I drop off and pick up stuff at waterpoints like warm clothes?

Lots of advise on the 2012 thread. But just enter and come and train with us trough the winter, we will tell you everything you need to know :thumbup:

So difficult to enter. Only got my CSA license today. And have to finalise your team now (8 months prior) in order to enter. Wish I could just pay for the entry and sort the rest out later...

Saw that. I am assuming you can change names later? I am entering a team of 4 even though I don't know who is going with yet....

Will find people with the same fitness levels in July... I saw what happened when a team of 4 is finalized 8 months before an event. The okes are gatvol of one another by the time August arrives and some okes are a lot fitter than others which also leads to friction....

And if I can only find 2 or 3 then so be it. Rather not take someone than take an arsehole (aka roadie)

Lots of advise on the 2012 thread. But just enter and come and train with us trough the winter, we will tell you everything you need to know :thumbup:

Will enter tomorrow :thumbup: .

I am doing an Ironman event at the end of July so I should have fitness and endurance. Will just maybe need to put TT bars on my MTB :ph34r:

Saw that. I am assuming you can change names later? I am entering a team of 4 even though I don't know who is going with yet....

Will find people with the same fitness levels in July... I saw what happened when a team of 4 is finalized 8 months before an event. The okes are gatvol of one another by the time August arrives and some okes are a lot fitter than others which also leads to friction....

And if I can only find 2 or 3 then so be it. Rather not take someone than take an arsehole (aka roadie)

But from what I saw, you need to "add" the other registered members of your team when you enter a three of four man team now. So I don't think you can fake enter people... because that is kinda what I want to do now.

I knew our team members, but don't have all their CSA license numbers. It was fine with me entering just the names. I'm assuming there will be some Manage Team page where I can go back and add them later. Note though - I think substitutions have a cost (R100 each I think I saw), so better to get your team lined up and avoid costs.

Would also like to know about whether driver is optional - seems with checkpoints and drop boxes, it may be possible to do without if allowed.

Be my 1st one (and 1st for all our team) - so time to go looking for tips!

How is the route? Is it worth it in your opinion? What is the main reason people do this race? Is it because you can then say you have done it or is the scenery and route actually the main lure? If you add all the costs for the total trip you can almost enter a stage race event.

Well if you are a team of 4 it is a very fund outing. I have fond memories of this race. I would do it again if I get the time to train.

Already training for a 600km audax on tar in March - so hopefully the endurance will be building up nicely! Just need to get the MTB/off road legs strong now

Well if you are a team of 4 it is a very fund outing. I have fond memories of this race. I would do it again if I get the time to train.

Fun indeed, did my last one for the first time as a four man team. We did not even once train together before we showed up in Willowmore, and I was in my worst shape yet for the Baviaans, but we all did a personal best @Baviaans and it was jokes and smiles all the way. Not that hard of event and with minimal training you can enjoy this amazing experience and ride under 15hours

just entered mixed team, my wife and I

should be cool

let the training begin!

Lekker man. Must be amazing to do it with your wife

Edited by Vetseun

anybody have any accommodation yet? seems everything in willowmore booked!

any other towns close to willowmore?