Hermanus MTB Routes - Hemel en Aarde

CMDC

Is it safe to cycle from Kleinmond to Hemel en Aarde?

I know it is not always safe on the roads but is there a shoulder to cycle in and Hawston is a bid of concern.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it is not always safe on the roads but is there a shoulder to cycle in and Hawston is a bid of concern.

Never done it myself, but there's almost always some cyclists on that road. Yes there's a shoulder most of the way.

Are you doing it alone?

I'll be more concerned about the vehicles than the locals at Hawston. There is a yellow line all the way, although the shoulder section from Kleinmond to Arabella is not that wide. There is also a gravel track from the turnoff to Fisherhaven, just to the western side (sea side) of the road, it leads right to Onrus.

yes I'll be going alone meet family later in Hermanus.

Thanks Mr Legs I'll have a look on google for that gravel rd

• 3 weeks later...

the trails are magnificent - spent nearly every day of my holiday riding the various trails, highlight was the Waterfall route and the W2W river single track - poured with rain the last 4 days i was down there, but it made riding just that much more fun. Enjoy, oh and if you are up to it, ride up Rotary Drive till you get to the signal towers (dirt road on your right once you reach the summit) ride past the towers (keep left of them) and follow the path wich very soon turns into an adrenalin rush from the MTB gods - this is the old DH track

If you have any questions re the trails or where else to ride, chat to Riaan at Euodia Cycles - they are opposite the Hemel en Aarde Estate (very convenient as we stayed in the estate :clap: )

Please Guys don't use the "Tower Run" as it is not a official route. We don't want to upset Nature Conservation people, as we are in negotiations with them expanding the trails towards other areas of the mountain. Riders riding on trails that is not marked for MTB is not helping the negotiations. I beg of you to stay on trails that is mark and not stray of them.

Please Guys don't use the "Tower Run" as it is not a official route. We don't want to upset Nature Conservation people, as we are in negotiations with them expanding the trails towards other areas of the mountain. Riders riding on trails that is not marked for MTB is not helping the negotiations. I beg of you to stay on trails that is mark and not stray of them.

Forgiveness - only found about the Tower Run after we rode - apologies to all.....

the trails are magnificent - spent nearly every day of my holiday riding the various trails, highlight was the Waterfall route and the W2W river single track - poured with rain the last 4 days i was down there, but it made riding just that much more fun. Enjoy, oh and if you are up to it, ride up Rotary Drive till you get to the signal towers (dirt road on your right once you reach the summit) ride past the towers (keep left of them) and follow the path wich very soon turns into an adrenalin rush from the MTB gods - this is the old DH track

If you have any questions re the trails or where else to ride, chat to Riaan at Euodia Cycles - they are opposite the Hemel en Aarde Estate (very convenient as we stayed in the estate :clap: )

Good to hear - we will be there this weekend. From the description below - is the Waterfall and W2W river track included in the red route? It sounds like there is waterfalls on the red route and I can see the W2W river segment in Strava, but would be nice to have it confirmed. I'm always keen to see more, but we stay with hosts and cant be away for to long - the black route is indicated as 3-5 hours. The red might be perfect, especially if we see the mentioned scenic bits...

Will also talk to Euodia Cycles Saturday morning.

http://www.mtbroutes...n-hermanus.html

A combination of the red and black route is the best bet IMO. If you are a confident biker, stick to black all the way to the waterfall, then run the red from there on. It cuts out a bit of a boring bit on the farms. Perfect for shaving 30-60min off your time. The black at the start is my favourite. Be careful, a new black section has been added before getting to the gravel Camphill road, before the waterfall. All trails have been fixed after the heavy rains. Yesterday the concrete dam overflow was also fixed so you can ride it. Big up to everyone involved. People working in the trails almost daily. Pay your permit, its the right thing to do.

Please forgive the off topic trip down my Hermanus memory lane :

In the old days, before mountain bike trails and rules, at a time when mountain bikers went out of their way to p... the establishment off, when MTB's didn't have any suspension, we used to pedal up Rotary drive and continued with the twee spoor that went to the border of Vogelsang ( at least that is how I remember the name) Nature reserve on the mountain above Voelklip Beach, I think it is called Maanschynkop. Ssang yong Musso did a launch of their heavy cumbersome SUV's there and we passed then on the trail, going up and again down on our way back, the cars were spinning and the brakes and engines were overheating and I could see that the cars were not going to be on the market for very long.

Good to hear - we will be there this weekend. From the description below - is the Waterfall and W2W river track included in the red route? It sounds like there is waterfalls on the red route and I can see the W2W river segment in Strava, but would be nice to have it confirmed. I'm always keen to see more, but we stay with hosts and cant be away for to long - the black route is indicated as 3-5 hours. The red might be perfect, especially if we see the mentioned scenic bits...

Will also talk to Euodia Cycles Saturday morning.

http://www.mtbroutes...n-hermanus.html

hey straatvark, from Euodia cycles, head past the hemel en aarde estate (will be on your right) and keep left of the barrier on the left. follow the black route all the way until you get a split (left takes you to the waterfalls and right is the blue trail i think) there is a farm house in front of you. Follow the blue trail from here on out, it will pop you out onto the tar road for literally a few meters and then you hit a right back onto the trail - you need eagle vision for the sign but its there.

I did the black route a few times, its really a great route and if you can try do it even if it is once.

An alternative is to go all the way to the waterfalls - once you get to the tar road (big dam in front of you) hook a right (dont turn left - its a very long road to nowhere) and then follow the dirt road to the main tar road. Hit a right onto the tar and a few clicks down the road you will then pick up the W2W section (this is the sign you need eagle vision for). Its a small sign around knee to waist height on your right.

Happy riding - wish I was there doing so myself :drool:

Edited by ValeYellow

An extended wine-tasting session Saturday caused a post-mortem ride Sunday morning. :ph34r:

That together with the extreme heat caused a bailout by me and the missus halfway up the waterfall. A quick coke at the nursery and the single-track back along the river was absolutely brilliant.

Found the tracks excellent and well marked. All the little switchbacks and bridges make it really fun. Will definitely back, on a cooler weekend though.

Thanks to the friendly help in Euodia, all the track builders & landowners to make it possible :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to ride at Hemel en Aarde today, and was left totally disappointed by the trail.

The guys at the bike shop where you get your day permit was friendly and helpful. That's where it kind of ended for me.

I did the black route which is 32km, advertised as 35km and says it should take 3-4 hours. This route could be easily done in two, as I was taking it fairly easy today. I did this route based on all the rave reviews, not only via the hub but on the phone insistence of the shop owner.

The single track was not challenging at all and in short supply. Too much jeep track, not sure if this trail is aimed more at the dirt roadies on there 29er's? The climbing, just seemed to lead to more climbing, which I don't mind, but when you get too the very top you would expect some decent dowhill. You are faced with more jeep track unfortunately, again extremely disappointed.

When you get the last section of single track through the forest section, the trail doesn't flow and you can't pick up any decent speed. No jumps, just humps that just seem to be in all the wrong places. No berms, just boring in my opinion.

Maybe I've been blessed with some of the trails I've ridden in KZN, Cape Town and even Jozi. This was just lame I'm afraid to say. Certainly hope the R40 to ride these trails is put to good use on major improvements.

The cherry on the cake for me was when I had finished, the farm stall next to the bike shop wanting to charge R16 for a small bottle of coke, that's just completely taking the piss.

Thank goodness I've got my road bike with me, cause in all honesty I would rather ride on the road tomorrow then do that trail again.

Unless there are major improvements, I won't be back, that's a certain.

I finally got to ride at Hemel en Aarde today, and was left totally disappointed by the trail.

The guys at the bike shop where you get your day permit was friendly and helpful. That's where it kind of ended for me.

I did the black route which is 32km, advertised as 35km and says it should take 3-4 hours. This route could be easily done in two, as I was taking it fairly easy today. I did this route based on all the rave reviews, not only via the hub but on the phone insistence of the shop owner.

The single track was not challenging at all and in short supply. Too much jeep track, not sure if this trail is aimed more at the dirt roadies on there 29er's? The climbing, just seemed to lead to more climbing, which I don't mind, but when you get too the very top you would expect some decent dowhill. You are faced with more jeep track unfortunately, again extremely disappointed.

When you get the last section of single track through the forest section, the trail doesn't flow and you can't pick up any decent speed. No jumps, just humps that just seem to be in all the wrong places. No berms, just boring in my opinion.

Maybe I've been blessed with some of the trails I've ridden in KZN, Cape Town and even Jozi. This was just lame I'm afraid to say. Certainly hope the R40 to ride these trails is put to good use on major improvements.

The cherry on the cake for me was when I had finished, the farm stall next to the bike shop wanting to charge R16 for a small bottle of coke, that's just completely taking the piss.

Thank goodness I've got my road bike with me, cause in all honesty I would rather ride on the road tomorrow then do that trail again.

Unless there are major improvements, I won't be back, that's a certain.

There are a few trails in the area that you can ride though. If you are in the Gansbaai area , about 50kms from Hermanus, there is one trail that includes some challenging single track. The route is a little overgrown at the moment with all the rain and heat, but still good fun.

From De Uijlenes the route is about 28km, but all the riding is in the first 16km, with about about 700m elevation. The flowervalley single track is a steep single track, jeep track climb, but the descent on the other side is awesome, mainly twee spoor and the a section of purpose built single track. We have added 5 kickers for those that want some airtime. The section after the dam is just plain tough, and you need to be fit to ride it. The desent is a very loose and steep jeep track, so we normally just return the way we came from the beacon. The route is marked with white boards and black arrows. If interested I could mail you the kml file or have a look here http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jcl/rides%20to%20do.html .

Define safe.... You are in Afrika.. Expect the unexpected .

I have cycled to Hermanus 3x from Durbanville over Sir Lowris by myself. (Mtb and Road bike)

Good fun.

Maybe get some chap together do a trip via the Hangklip (coastal) side. Do a stay over and cycle back the next day.