Bike Stolen at Northern Farms?

Tractor

That is not good news, I always put my bike on my rack after a ride and then go and enjoy a bacon and egg roll.

I've always felt it was a safe place to do this as they have guys (car guards) inside the car park looking out for this sort of thing.

I wonder where exactly he parked

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never let you bike out of your sight!!! Period.... hard lesson learnt!!!!

I've always left my bike on my bike rack and never had any issues, but I don't think any body would want to steel my bike anyway

Damm, was thinking of taking the wife to Northens this Sunday, guess we might just give it a miss.

G

You can still go, just be careful. You can always take your bike into the food area where you can keep an eye on it, or hand it in to have it washed.

Ye, but another venue, another sport where we as the individual got to go above and beyond to make sure our property is safe, after paying a venue for the safe venue...

I know it is properly impossible for the venue to assist...

Maybe on entry you need to enter into book what you bringing in, and only this is allowed out on the same vehicle.

G

Maybe on entry you need to enter into book what you bringing in, and only this is allowed out on the same vehicle.

G

Nice proactive idea!

I've always left my bike on my bike rack and never had any issues, but I don't think any body would want to steel my bike anyway

Why STEEL it? Its probably aluminium......

:whistling:

Damm, was thinking of taking the wife to Northens this Sunday, guess we might just give it a miss. G

thats a *** attitude to have mate, thats like saying i dont want to go to pretoria cause i heard stuff got stolen. crime happens, golden rule be aware, proactive and as far as possible dont take chances.

am willing to bet if he had locked the bike to the car they would have taken it anyway as the saying goes if they want it they are going to take it. locks etc are only going to slow them down not stop them if they really want soemthing.

Locks will at least attract attention, they need to cut them, which make's it obvious they not suppose to be there, it slows them down, placing them at car longer, which makes them more obvious.

so my oak attitude, so when last did you go have dinner in Hillbrow?

I pay to much for my bikes to just go anywhere, and be excessively inconvenienced, we can't lock them, because they still get stolen, now it means someone have to stay with the bikes, destroying the entire we al together, we all have a chat after ride at the coffee shop, as a group, because someone is sitting at the car.

G

This is not a new thing. Maybe at Northern Farm, but I have had this happen to me at Van Gaalens about 5 years ago.

We finished a ride, and then LOCKED the bikes to the back of the car (Trapezium rack, 2 padlocks). Went to the shop to buy a coke, came back 5 minutes later and the locks were cut and three bikes stolen. Bike was a week old. Expensive lesson learnt.

Now I NEVER leave my bikes unattended. I have Pro-rides on the roof, and even though they lock and an idiot won't be able to figure out the lock system in 5 minutes, I never leave my bike on my car.

When our bikes were stolen, the arrived within 5 minutes, and they were of the opinion that it is people dressed as cyclists who busy themselves at your car, not really looking suspicious. I am sure that this was the case, as Van Gaalens was busy that day.

Northern Farm is as busy as it will ever be (due to fresh new years resolutions) and I am sure someone will notice a dodgy bloke unloading bikes. Someone might however, not notice a 'cyclist' unloading a bike from the car.

Sad that we have to deal with BS such as this, but trust me - it happens.

Dont think that the ProRide is theft proof... I once forgot my keys at home before a ride and managed to twist the bike out. Maybe safe against an idiot, but those that do this all the time will figure it out once and then do it anytime they want.

Locks will at least attract attention, they need to cut them, which make's it obvious they not suppose to be there, it slows them down, placing them at car longer, which makes them more obvious.

so my oak attitude, so when last did you go have dinner in Hillbrow?

I pay to much for my bikes to just go anywhere, and be excessively inconvenienced, we can't lock them, because they still get stolen, now it means someone have to stay with the bikes, destroying the entire we al together, we all have a chat after ride at the coffee shop, as a group, because someone is sitting at the car.

G

Think what he is trying to say is that you might want to re-think your logic if you are going to avoid Northen farms just because 1 bike was stolen out of the 100s of people who ride there happily every weekend.

Think what he is trying to say is that you might want to re-think your logic if you are going to avoid Northen farms just because 1 bike was stolen out of the 100s of people who ride there happily every weekend.

ed-zackery

Dont think that the ProRide is theft proof... I once forgot my keys at home before a ride and managed to twist the bike out. Maybe safe against an idiot, but those that do this all the time will figure it out once and then do it anytime they want.

Also insurance companies no longer cover you for theft if it was not locked to the rack/carrier by at least a 12mm chain or similar. So even though my G2 locks I always put a bike lock on as well.