Bike Stolen at Northern Farms?

Tractor

I was just at the Douglasdale police station to have some copies certified and the guy in front of me was reporting his mountain bike stolen from his bike rack at Northern Farms on Sunday. Apparently finished his ride and racked his bike before heading off for breakfast and the bike was gone when he got back. I didn't get the chance to speak to him because the officer listening to the story wasn't too interested and kept grilling the guy about why he's only reporting it now.

I haven't ridden there for a while now but I always thought of it as a safe place, or am I wrong?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ffs - what sort of **** does that???

If I caught someone stealing my bike off my bike rack while I was eating my bacon sandwich I'd give him a kicking he'd remember!

I didn't get the chance to speak to him because the officer listening to the story wasn't too interested and kept grilling the guy about why he's only reporting it now.

Erm, maybe because today is Monday, you know the day that follows Sunday.....

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

I was just at the Douglasdale police station to have some copies certified and the guy in front of me was reporting his mountain bike stolen from his bike rack at Northern Farms on Sunday. Apparently finished his ride and racked his bike before heading off for breakfast and the bike was gone when he got back. I didn't get the chance to speak to him because the officer listening to the story wasn't too interested and kept grilling the guy about why he's only reporting it now.

I haven't ridden there for a while now but I always thought of it as a safe place, or am I wrong?

It is safe but all the scum lives rather close by down the road

Erm, maybe because today in Monday, you know the day that follows Sunday.....

I hear you brother - the guy's bike has been stolen but the cops make him feel he's the one that's done something wrong, WTF ...

Was the bike locked onto the rack?

I have no idea, the cop was more interested in why he didn't report it yesterday than asking anything worthwhile

That sucks, will make me think twice before getting that breakfast. Don't they have parking guards at northern farms? Only the person checking tickets at the gate?

Edited by johanpre44

They do have guards in the car park - but it would be almost impossible to know exactly which person owns which bike? So many friends park near to each other and chat etc.

I have no idea, the cop was more interested in why he didn't report it yesterday than asking anything worthwhile

Legitimate question that...if you find your bike stolen on Monday afternoon, do you go report it on Tuesday? No, you go and report it a.s.a.p. just like your car etc...

Or did this oke only realise it on Monday morning that his steed is gone?

Its Joburg, LOCK your stuff up tight.

This sort of thing happens often at race events too. shopping mall in the parking lot for thieves, with easy exit along with the rest of the eventgoers.

I also wouldn't exclude a very opportunistic scumbag dressed in cycling kit.

Nobody bats an eyelid if a cyclist unloads a bike, gets on and rides off. Quick ride to the fence and hops over to a car waiting.

This is not a new thing. Maybe at Northern Farm, but I have had this happen to me at Van Gaalens about 5 years ago.

We finished a ride, and then LOCKED the bikes to the back of the car (Trapezium rack, 2 padlocks). Went to the shop to buy a coke, came back 5 minutes later and the locks were cut and three bikes stolen. Bike was a week old. Expensive lesson learnt.

Now I NEVER leave my bikes unattended. I have Pro-rides on the roof, and even though they lock and an idiot won't be able to figure out the lock system in 5 minutes, I never leave my bike on my car.

When our bikes were stolen, the arrived within 5 minutes, and they were of the opinion that it is people dressed as cyclists who busy themselves at your car, not really looking suspicious. I am sure that this was the case, as Van Gaalens was busy that day.

Northern Farm is as busy as it will ever be (due to fresh new years resolutions) and I am sure someone will notice a dodgy bloke unloading bikes. Someone might however, not notice a 'cyclist' unloading a bike from the car.

Sad that we have to deal with BS such as this, but trust me - it happens.

Legitimate question that...if you find your bike stolen on Monday afternoon, do you go report it on Tuesday? No, you go and report it a.s.a.p. just like your car etc...

Or did this oke only realise it on Monday morning that his steed is gone?

Ag BS man. Its a Sunday afternoon, you have just had your bike stolen, you spend 2 hours driving around looking for it, by that time its late and the last thing you are keen for is dealing with a smelly copshop, so you decide to go on Monday.

I have done this as have thousands of other people.

I once reported a car accident a week after it happened because I thought the other driver had done it already, cop never hassled me about that, and THAT sounds dodgy.

Damm, was thinking of taking the wife to Northens this Sunday, guess we might just give it a miss.

G