Sports induced asthma

So I'm hoping someone here can help me...

I'm not the lightest guy around (around 95kg), not fat but built big... and do have some extra weight, although it's really not that at much.

I train regularly, and do add distance to my training. I've been riding since last year Feb. Regular training for me is ride every weekend (55 - 90km @+-28km/h), most weeks on a Tuesday and Thursday night (+- 30km @+-26km/h) both sessions will include over 500m of ascent.

The problem I have is that I always sound like a angry asthmatic bull going up climbs... I'm huffing and puffing and wheezing, and just can't seem to inhale enough! I ride with guys who train far less than I do and they don't have the same problem. It's like breathing through a straw! After hard rides my chest feels slightly painful for most of the day. It's quite frustrating and slightly demotivating to not keep up with a group uphill!

For some history:

I have a post nasal drip, and as a child, suffered from croop at night. Never had amazing lungs. Never diagnosed with asthma but didn't really get it specifically checked for either.

My older sister, who rides and does other cardiovascular exercise, says she has it, and her and I are most matched in terms of physical ailments and characteristics. She uses a normal inhaler and says it does wonders for her.

So here's the thing.

Does anyone out there have it, or have experience with exercise induced asthma? How do I diagnose this (or who would be able to in jhb), and what do I do to treat it? Are inhalers freely available or do I need to get a prescription?

Or am I just fat and lazy and need to train more?

I'm not by any means a front runner, certainly won't be getting on any podiums, but really want to perform well and hit my own targets.

I have it, but can ride through it if I start slowly. The hard efforts have me sucking air horribly at the tops of hills, and after the ride my lungs get very congested. I was first pointed to a cardiologist, but my heart is strong, after that I was diagnosed with EI Asthma.

Take a suck of an inhaler before I start, then again about 1/2 hr afterwards.

The worst that I was caught out was on the Wild Ride, swimming across a river and my lungs closed up. Eventually some bloke grabbed my bike and I was able to cross.

Edited by deanbean

I have it, but can ride through it if I start slowly. The hard efforts have me sucking air horribly at the tops of hills, and afterwards my lungs get very congested afterwards. I was first pointed to a cardiologist, but my heart is strong, after that I was diagnosed with EI Asthma.

Take a suck of an inhaler before I start, then again about 1/2 hr afterwards.

The worst that I was caught out was on the Wild Ride, swimming across a river and my lungs closed up. Eventually some bloke grabbed my bike and I was able to cross.

Do I have to have a prescription to get hold of an inhaler? Or are they over the counter?

It's really not good.. Feel strong enough and legs are there... But the breathing and heart rate just keep me slow on the hills... Still love my rides but this is ridiculous now! At first I thought it was just the result of being so damn lazy for so long... But it's time for that to be sorted!

I realized I had sports induced asthma when I got an asthma attack on a squash court in Standard 8, fortunately our house doctor coached us and he had an inhaler with him.

I will not recommend you riding without an inhaler or atleast inhale 3 puffs before you start riding, you don't have great lungs already as you mentioned and trust me, you DO NOT want to get an asthma attack, its not fun and death is very possible without immediate treatment.

You can buy asthavent over the counter without prescription, I use that and it works for me, I take three puffs inhaled deep INTO the lungs and kept each inhale for atleast 7secs.

Prevention is better than cure, I've found it more difficult to sort my chest out if I haven't used the inhaler before I ride.

In my case, I'm 72kg and very fit, so that don't have too much to do with it.

Just get an inhaler and keep it on you as well.

Cheers

I get a similar thing. I suffer with allergies at certain times of the year. Kind of hayfever but worse, with the result my throat closes up. 2013 94.7 I had to pull out at the 30km mark, just couldn't get enough oxygen.

I also suffer with post nasal drip and congestion. Doctor has me on Fexo 180mg anti histomins (1 a day, everyday), Avamys nasal spray (only use when the allergy gets bad and Venteze inhaler (I use before and after a ride if I can feel I am struggling to breath freely).

So far it seems to be working. I have been riding/racing for nearly 25 years and have only developed this issue in the last 5 or so years.

I would say see a doctor and see what they say.

Please remember the plan I am on is one prescribed by my doctor, in no way am I saying follow what I am on. But it is controllable.

I have been riding/racing for nearly 25 years and have only developed this issue in the last 5 or so years.

I would say see a doctor and see what they say.

Please remember the plan I am on is one prescribed by my doctor, in no way am I saying follow what I am on. But it is controllable.

Mine has also only just appeared in the last 5 or so years, after about 30 years of running/cycling and ball sports.

Mine has also only just appeared in the last 5 or so years, after about 30 years of running/cycling and ball sports.

Must say this has actually been something I've struggled with since school days (admittedly not all that long ago), always put it down to bad fitness but thinking back, even when training daily for rugby I was still a heavy breather... Always just felt short of air!

Great suggestions here tho guys, thanks for the feedback so far! Will definitely get it checked out...

afd - first - do a quick and dirty test - go to the pharmacy an get any salbutamol inhaler - ventolin, venteze etc - cost you about 50zar, and you do not need a script.

Before your next ride - about 10 min before you leave - take 2 puffs with 60 to 120 seconds between them.

Go ride. Do not be concerned if your heart rate is slighy elevated over normal by 15 - 20 bpm, as long as you have no chest pain.

If your symptoms are noticably improved, then you are a candidate for EIA - excercise induced asthma - the best is then to get a full workup by a pulmonologist and follow theit advice - which will probably be a long acting inhaler, and a short acting one, and some treatment for allergies and any chronic rynitis or urt infection you may have.

once you have your symptoms under control, you can look at learning better breathing patterns - but in the short term dont worry about that.

Pm me when you have done my quick and dirt test.

Whilst, you can buy bronchodilator pumps like Ventolin etc., over the counter, it is probably wise to go be assessed by a doctor or pulmonologist and for them to lay out the most effective treatment plans.

Exercise is one of the triggers for underlying asthma, that may (or may not) be needed to be better controlled through a steroid inhaler. You shouldn't be having as many symptoms as you do for your "asthma" (don't want to label you here) to be considered well controlled.

Short-acting bronchodilators are useful for relief of a tight chest, but are not really indicated as a preventative measure for exercise induced asthma.

Have a chat to the doctor and see what is said. Probably a lot more good will come out of that. Happy km's ahead!

afd - first - do a quick and dirty test - go to the pharmacy an get any salbutamol inhaler - ventolin, venteze etc - cost you about 50zar, and you do not need a script.

Before your next ride - about 10 min before you leave - take 2 puffs with 60 to 120 seconds between them.

Go ride. Do not be concerned if your heart rate is slighy elevated over normal by 15 - 20 bpm, as long as you have no chest pain.

If your symptoms are noticably improved, then you are a candidate for EIA - excercise induced asthma - the best is then to get a full workup by a pulmonologist and follow theit advice - which will probably be a long acting inhaler, and a short acting one, and some treatment for allergies and any chronic rynitis or urt infection you may have.

once you have your symptoms under control, you can look at learning better breathing patterns - but in the short term dont worry about that.

Top advice, as per usual. Remember to use the pump properly: Shake well, exhale, puff and deep breath in, hold for 10s, breathe out!

A lot of the pro riders still use this in the peloton to "help" them during a race....many don't need it and it gives them that little bit extra....in your case I will definitely have it checked

Will do this week! Thanks for a great little test! Just want to be sure I'm not fighting myself while riding...

Expect pm soon:)

Will do this week! Thanks for a great little test! Just want to be sure I'm not fighting myself while riding...

Expect pm soon:)

No worries - I also have a portable peak flow meter you can borrow - and take on a ride if needed for more detailed checking- but I really need to show you how it works and walk you through when to use it - but the quick and dirty test is enough to see if you need more testing.

Top advice, as per usual. Remember to use the pump properly: Shake well, exhale, puff and deep breath in, hold for 10s, breathe out!

Indeed - they are actually harder to use properly than it looks :) - takes a bit of practice....