Need to move from flats to cleats, what do I need?

breaker

So to ask the question, if you wanted to try flats, what would a decent pair cost and what would you recommend (nothing to expensive though)? I'm keen to try them with my Trance.

Sadly the exchange rates are not in our favour.

My personal favourites are the Nuke Proof Neutrons. Good grip. Low profile platform. Low maintenance. Reasonably priced (or at least they were when I bought them.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/images/custom/pedals/large_neutron20132.jpg

Currently they're R655 (CRC price), R799 (local price on Diald).

I got most of mine at around R500 a set. So if you wait a bit for the Rand's recovery (holding thumbs) they should go back to around the R500-R600 mark.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal favourites are the Nuke Proof Neutrons. Good grip. Low profile platform. Low maintenance. Reasonably priced (or at least they were when I bought them.

I got most of mine at around R500 a set. So if you wait a bit for the Rand's recovery (holding thumbs) they should go back to around the R500-R600 mark.

Or you could go for the Electrons, which are the Neutrons baby brother...

I'll have to wait till next month anyway so hopefully the Rond will be doing better, got delivery of my XT SPD's this morning. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. :thumbup:

I have a set of BBB flats at about R300 and a pair of Hi-Tec Figaro's with Vibram sole for R600 - works for me sometimes too grippy.

A very stiff sole helps but remember the flats have a large "surface" area so no big deal. Soles that "round" into the uppers tend to be more comfortable and don't get in the way like a wide soled running shoe

Firstly cleats gives you a push and pull action which increases torque with less power.

Physics fail.

Maybe:

increases power with less perceived effort.

or

increases power by distributing the effort to different muscles..

Edited by garyvdm

Physics fail.

Maybe:

increases power OUTPUT with less perceived effort.

or

increases AVAILABLE power by distributing the effort to different muscles..

Fixed :)

EDIT: If anything, it'd just increase your potential average power output on each pedal stroke, given that you'd be exerting force on the entire pedal stroke as opposed to just, say, 70% of the stroke.

The total work done on a ride would therefore increase, as would your speed. IF you exert the same force and actually DO pull on the upstroke, which would mean you need to change the way you have trained your legs to pedal...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Physics fail.

Maybe:

increases power with less perceived effort.

or

increases power by distributing the effort to different muscles..

Yebo yes.....cycling is a wordsum....thats all...move weight from A to B in X time

Just allows you to spread the fatigue over different muscles....some perceive it as having more power which is bullcrap

edit....but can you access the power in some of the muscles if you don't have cleats. Riddle me that?

Edited by rouxtjie

So I've been mtbing for just over a year now and just can't stand the comments and looks of disgust at me and my flats.

I can just here their thoughts... "such a noob", "pffft amature", " :stupid: " . lol.

Actually I couldn't care :P, but reckon I can't knock it till I try it and apparently it will help me in my inability to climb.

Sooo what do I need to get cleated up, besides the obvious cleats and shoes. What do I need to look out for etc.

Almost a year riding MTB, I started with cleats (maybe a month) and then made the move to 5.10 and flats - also thinking of moving to cleats again but not sure how much I will benefit - with my flats I am passing lots of disco riders that stare at my setup at the start line and asking "why don't you ride with cleats".

Only reason I am hesitating to go back to cleats is because of the nasty accident I had with them.

Edited by in10sive

You'll need to approach it gradually.

• Stage 1: Ride only on the road. Get used to the action needed to clip in. Purposefully think about unclipping every time you stop (this doesn't come naturally at first). The key here is not having to stop suddenly, thus no singletrack.
  • Stage 2: Go off-road, but jeeptrack only, where you'll need to stop more often but can still have a moment or two's chance to think about unclipping.
  • Stage 3: The full monty. By this time, you'll be able to unclip without consciously making the decision to. It'll take a while, but you'll get there.

If you want to try it out, I'm giving away a pair of old shoes: http://www.thehubsa....m&item_id=75445

Oh the fond memories of stopping dead and either forgetting to unclip or unclipping the wrong foot :rolleyes: .*sigh*

Very good advice this. Once you get used to it you'll be wondering how long you have gotten along without it.

Almost a year riding MTB, I started with cleats (maybe a month) and then made the move to 5.10 and flats - also thinking of moving to cleats again but not sure how much I will benefit - with my flats I am passing lots of disco drivers that stare at my setup at the start and asking why I don't ride with cleats.

Only reason I am hesitating to go back to cleats is because of the nasty accident I had with them.

Peer pressure. Number one cause of the decline of kommin sense.

Not peer pressure just curouis if/how much faster I might be...

Not much, really, unless you're doing multi-day events or are only riding jeep track. Still, with proper shoes and good pedals, you probably won't notice a difference in power at all. The majority of riders don't even know what it feels like to consistently pull on each pedal stroke, so they're not even using the biggest "advantage" of clipless pedals.

Not peer pressure just curouis if/how much faster I might be...

You're not going to be faster or slower - it's more about confidence and what would that equate to?

More confidence - more fun - greater risks - ends up to the same amount of spills in the end but a better rider (flaaaame suite on)

Guest Latent Blue

Ask him about rebuilds and float....

Now you lost me...

Now you lost me...

Eggbeaters are pimp and light...lets not beat around the bush BUT

They are require rebuilds of the bearing...i had to rebuild mine once a year, and they drop you without warning...one second they are perfect, the next, the bearing are moertoe and the pedal won't turn

Float...they are not adjustable like spd's, so if you don't like 6 or 9 deg float(I think that is the two options you have)...sorry for you.