Xterra Grabouw

JvanLog

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are doing the long, then go with a suit, the water isn't that warm, and 1.5 km is a decent swim. The start is also a total dogshow, catfight, washing machine whatever, it is nice to have a bit of extra buoyancy just for when you are kicked around and need to recover. Just get a bit of practice beforehand

• 1 month later...

That water is always warm... Pretty shallow in terms of dams, anyway, so it gets heated up rather quickly. And with the heatwave as it is now, you'd be baking in a wettie after a few strokes.

Which reminds me, I actually need to get a decent tri-shorts, will be doing my second short one this year.

Where does one get one of these?

I bought my trisuit from www.fluidlines.co.za - awesome service, shipped from Cpt to Jhb in 3 days (so quicker for you ape town okes), and about 50% of the cost of Sportsmans Warehouse. If you're looking for an S / XS size, then go to http://shop.fluidlines.co.za for even better deals. http://shop.fluidlines.co.za/

In my opinion, trisuit is better than a wetsuit cos you can run & ride in the trisuit, but i'd assume you'd a) cook properly in a wet suit or b) loose time in transition getting out of it. I've only done 1 tri (Xterra Buffelspoort), so this comes with little experience and lots of assumption.

*edit* shop.fluidlines.co.za recommended for s / xs only because thats generally all they have available for end-of-line / clearance deals, but check availability regardless.

Edited by MTBc

Oops, looks like Xterra may not be wetsuit legal after the heat wave, the shallow end of Silvermine dam was crazy hot on Monday so I can believe it. Slower swim but faster through T1, thank goodness its only a 1.5 km swim. On the up side it looks like cool and partly cloudy weather on the day

Oops, looks like Xterra may not be wetsuit legal after the heat wave, the shallow end of Silvermine dam was crazy hot on Monday so I can believe it. Slower swim but faster through T1, thank goodness its only a 1.5 km swim. On the up side it looks like cool and partly cloudy weather on the day

Yeah. Thank goodness for that! Doing Xterra at the temp of the past weekend would not have been great!

Yeah. Thank goodness for that! Doing Xterra at the temp of the past weekend would not have been great!

I think it was in the 30's 2 years ago... Could be wrong. But that's what it felt like!

I think it was in the 30's 2 years ago... Could be wrong. But that's what it felt like!

Yup. Remember that day. Run leg was rediculous!

Fantastic Xterra, there were some course changes which were a huge improvement, the swim course was much, much better. Instead of starting some distance from the race village and angled off the shore and into the sun the swim course started and finished in one spot, straight out for a long leg, a shorter second leg and then back to the shore. Sighting was a bit of a problem with the distance to the first buoy, but just swimming along in the pack was fine.

The bike leg was also much better, the singletrack at the start has been taken out with open jeeptrack riding for the first few km's which allowed the good swimmers to find their rightful place among the better bikers. All the good technical singletrack and rockgarden was still there. Its a solid hard bike ride, supposed to be one of the hardest on the world circuit.

I had a good day, swam hard to get out on the mtb course ahead of the traffic, which worked well, nice ride with only a few plonkers who couldn't handle the technical stuff, but had I a solid ride. The run started off well, was pretty quick, but after the brutal climb in the middle section the legs started to die in the last two km's, staggered home in 3:30. Happy with the day. No broken bones or bikes.