Two Oceans Marathon 2014

TopFuel

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entered for my 3rd 21.1km (3rd year in a row). Broke my Fibula a week ago in a mountain bike race... :eek: so, I'm just hoping to be able to start training again in 5 to 6 weeks and then get 5 to 6 weeks training done before the event. So, not aiming for any particular time, just aiming to be ready to run :thumbup:

I can't give any tips on the Ultra, but for the 21.....

1. Get a seeding... going off in batch E or even D is insane (too many people)

2. Watch out for not tripping / stumbling / falling at the start (with all the runners) & it's still a bit dark at 6:00. With the race being later in April this year... it will be worse

3. Get to Southern Cross drive before the masses... else you'll walk up there :thumbdown:

4. Save some energy for Southern Cross drive

5. It's a GREAT race - enjoy & smell the roses :clap:

6. If you run with the pace setters (example 2:00 or 1:45 runners), keep an eye on your own pace. Last year a number of the 2:00 pace setters didn't make it within 2:00 :cursing:

7. Get to the start at about 5:00 or a little earlier... parking close to the start is a nightmare

8. The bus services at the finish to the parking areas works well

Here's a link to my race profile from last year:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/291004998

doing the 56km again hoping for another sub 5 . If you guys know of any 21km tickets that are not going to be used please send me a PM , the wife is looking for a entry.

Doing the 21 for the first time, and that is first running event EVER :w00t:

Part of my bucket list, so just going for a finish.

Will start asking training questions closer to the time, like a week before :ph34r: thats enough time right :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I'll start:

I am running the 56km, hoping for a time of <5 hours (Sainsbury medal). Last year, I ran 05:47, on minimal training, and have decided to give it a real go this year. I'm using Peninsula marathon as both my qualifier and my first long run.

If you want to go sub 5 don't hold back on the first half or you wont make it. You need to be at the marathon mark at about 3.40.

Doing my 4th Two Oceans 56km, but this time with a full Dog Suit to raise money for the SPCA in Cape Town. Just hope the weather plays along, seeing that the legs will be 50/50 after Ironman two weeks earlier.

If any of the hubbers want to make a donation for the SPCA, please drop me a pm and ill send you the details/links etc. It is for such a great cause. They idea is to sponsor me per km that i run, so even if you gooi in a R1 per km, that is awesum!

Please guys.

If you want to go sub 5 don't hold back on the first half or you wont make it. You need to be at the marathon mark at about 3.40.

The first 30km are pretty flat, so I'm hoping to put some time in the bank over that first distance. 4:45ish pace to put 30s per km into the bank for chappies and hout bay.

I ran the last 6km from the top of Constantia in 30mins last year so I'm hoping for that finish line fever to kick in again.

It's *** funny seeing how much it pisses off the ultra marathon okes when people call the fun run the "two oceans".

Of course it's informally known as the no oceans half marathon, have a look at the route if that doesn't make sense to you.

It's *** funny seeing how much it pisses off the ultra marathon okes when people call the fun run the "two oceans".

Of course it's informally known as the no oceans half marathon, have a look at the route if that doesn't make sense to you.

Let's be honest... the 21.1km is the race that kind of "makes" the Two Oceans the race it is though ;)

I did the half marathon last year.

Still deciding if I want to try the Ultra this year.

There's the Bay Ultra 50km in PE in two weeks, going to give that a go and decide from there..

Hopefully there are still Ultra entries available then!

:)

Let's be honest... the 21.1km is the race that kind of "makes" the Two Oceans the race it is though ;)

Yoh, this is baiting if ever I saw it. :P Ultra is way cooler...

So, did my qualifier today at Peninsula Marathon, and managed to shave 30mins of my PB. 3:38. Very happy with that. Now to replicate that on a course with more hills and 14km still to go to the finish for a sub 5

• 1 month later...
27 days to go, ladies and gentlemen.

How is your training coming along?

Haven't started, doubt the silver medal is an option any longer. (Excuse grammer)

Maybe just to do better than last year!

• 2 weeks later...