Two Oceans Marathon 2014

TopFuel

Feeling a bit nervous, my first race ever and only done 4 training runs this year, with max only being 12km, though managing to average a 5.40/km. Starting in E, lucky draw, so just going to take it easy and hope for a 2.30. Any last minute tips on how to survive with virtually no running training but good cycle fitness?

Wishing all hubbers the best of luck on race day.

I wouldn't run for at least 3 days leading up to race day.

Do a ride loosener the day before instead.

With your legs not being accustomed to the running it will most likely do more harm than good, so you want them starting as fresh as possible.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling a bit nervous, my first race ever and only done 4 training runs this year, with max only being 12km, though managing to average a 5.40/km. Starting in E, lucky draw, so just going to take it easy and hope for a 2.30. Any last minute tips on how to survive with virtually no running training but good cycle fitness?

Wishing all hubbers the best of luck on race day.

Run till Wednesday! Easy ride Friday, that's my plan.

If you cycling fit, then you body and legs just need to get used the impact(torture), otherwise you'll be fine

Thanks Meezo & SR. Will take your advice. Did a flattish 16km this morning in 1.30, though feeling a bit tender now, but not more than usual after a long run.

Will just do 2 more 5km runs this week and a 50km slow leg loosener on the bike on Friday. Should be enough to survive the 21km on Saturday.

Recovered from a broken fibula (12 weeks ago). Have done a total of 38k of street running the last 2 weeks & a bit of treadmill from 3 weeks ago. Just going to go and enjoy the 21km run (and walking) with the wife and do it as a 'fun event'.

Good luck to all hubbers doing the half / ultra.

Oh how ignorance is bliss :(, took a reconnaissance drive yesterday to check out the route from just after the M3 section. Oh my hat, Southern Cross Drive to Rhodes Drive is a Monster, how are we supposed to get up that never ending road :eek: . Can you tell I've not been training :blush: :oops:

Our 2nd Ultra as well TopFuel!

Ignorance is bliss indeed!

The event is so wonderfully majestic - like the Argus of Cycling. We loved the support along the road last year shouting out our names ;)

And nervously looking forward to Saturday..

Have a great race!

Our 2nd Ultra as well TopFuel!

Ignorance is bliss indeed!

The event is so wonderfully majestic - like the Argus of Cycling. We loved the support along the road last year shouting out our names ;)

And nervously looking forward to Saturday..

Have a great race!

Best of luck mate. We'll see how the race goes. As far as crowd and vibe goes, I remember last year. Manly tears at the Brewery when they played the anthem and 11000 okes sang in unison, and more manly tears when UCT came into site after 5 and a half hours of running.

Thanks Meezo & SR. Will take your advice. Did a flattish 16km this morning in 1.30, though feeling a bit tender now, but not more than usual after a long run.

Will just do 2 more 5km runs this week and a 50km slow leg loosener on the bike on Friday. Should be enough to survive the 21km on Saturday.

I dunno if I would go so far as 50km, the last thing you want is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), that *** seer you get after long exercise, on the same day as you run up the beast that is Southern Cross Drive.

Best of luck though, I'm sure you'll do more than just survive. Have a good run.

Oh how ignorance is bliss :(, took a reconnaissance drive yesterday to check out the route from just after the M3 section. Oh my hat, Southern Cross Drive to Rhodes Drive is a Monster, how are we supposed to get up that never ending road :eek: . Can you tell I've not been training :blush: :oops:

If you are unfit/not running fit plan 3 walking breaks to split up the hill, at roughly 1km apart, walk for a minute at each, you'll survive. Expect to add upto 15 minutes onto a reasonable flat half marathon time.

Edited by eeeek

It's just a hill, get over it :lol:

Another question I forgot to ask is wrt hydration. When I cycle I usually use 32gi regularly. Shall I just fill up on 32gi 30min before the race(&hope not to pee :whistling: ) and grab water at the watering holes?

Been up Southern Cross 3 times in the last 3 weeks and its killed me each time. For some reason it just feels different on race day though. Good luck to all.

If you are unfit/not running fit plan 3 walking breaks to split up the hill, at roughly 1km apart, walk for a minute at each, you'll survive. Expect to add upto 15 minutes onto a reasonable flat half marathon time.

15 minutes is a bit extreme...

I ran sub 90 last year and won't go anywhere close to 15 minutes faster on a flat course.

15 minutes is a bit extreme...

I ran sub 90 last year and won't go anywhere close to 15 minutes faster on a flat course.

The 15 min aplies to running oceans21 unfit, I run a comfortable 1:50 half when reasonably fit, and have run two unfit oceans21s came in at 2:06 and 2:09...

Another question I forgot to ask is wrt hydration. When I cycle I usually use 32gi regularly. Shall I just fill up on 32gi 30min before the race(&hope not to pee :whistling: ) and grab water at the watering holes?

Use the 32Gi chews and drink water on the route... this is what I do and I'm also big on 32Gi, not had any issues.