70.3 Finishers Shirt

davem

It's a Friggin shirt!!! Throw it away, Like a medal Who cares!!!

If i do a stage race wherever, I dont want the clothing or medals, I did the ride, thats all that matters, I don't need a shirt to parade around in through the malls, the people there also don't give a **** whats on your T...!!!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought people are entitled to rant if they are dissatisfied or unhappy?

He seems unhappy?

Exactly, A few people voiced their unhappiness towards the new Ironman route and the amount of people that would be on the course. I was one of them. We were told to stop whining and go train because we have hills to climb. Now that same person is complaining about a finishers T-shirt

2012 Shirts were great, I still wear mine. 2013 and 2014 shirts sits like a polo neck T-shirt and is most definitely a serious "budget" job. This is sub standard for the amazing event that IM70.3 is, especially considering the rise in entry fees and cut down of peripherals. I don't do the race for the shirt and the luxuries don't bother me much, but handing out kr@ppee shirts ruins the friendship. Id rather have the option to pay an additional fee and get the real deal.

Dave I find this rant of yours very funny. People may not complain about the Ironman and the changes that have been made however you complain about a silly finishers shirt. I also find it funny how you blame Merrel (yes the T shirt sponsor) but not Ironman for this. Ironman should have learnt their lesson from last year by actually checking the quality of the shirts before going ahead with a new Finishers T shirt sponsor.

I do think by bringing this to Gustavs attention is the right way to go about it however I just do not understand your thought processing as to when someone is entitled to Rant and when they are not entitled to rant.

The shirt is what it is for this year. I can't change that, but I do believe it means quite a lot to people who have completed the race. Many of the athletes compete in this event as a journey of six months or more, often facing difficult challenges to get to that finish line. I remember my first finishers shirt and see the pride in others when they wear their's.

Last year's shirt was really poor. Probably was one of the reasons that KSwiss was replaced with Merrell as the apparel sponsor. 5150 produced an awesome shirt. Paul Woolf specifically said the shirts this year would be better on his live chat sessions.

I did not come on here and make an anonymous rant. I tracked down the sponsor, in spite of them not being very public with their contact details. I gave them my honest, possibly strong worded, feedback. I felt the response was wishy washy. Possibly if others provide similar feedback, they will not see this as the singular rant of an unreasonable person but reflecting a general unhappiness.

Merrell was branded all over the event and probably paid good money for that privilege. They placed their brand on the shirt. It certainly was not a good advert for the many excellent products they do sell. If they do not know how people feel about the shirt, they will just do the same next year. As a result they are not maximising the return on their sponsorship investment and that is not good for the event.

I am about to pay next years, significantly increased, entry fee. I hope we all get a much better finishers shirt next year which we can where with pride over and over again.

The shirt is a T Shirt of the quality used at political rallies.

Hahahaha!!! Did you at least also get a beer and chicken with your T-shirt like at a standard political rally??

Exactly, A few people voiced their unhappiness towards the new Ironman route and the amount of people that would be on the course. I was one of them. We were told to stop whining and go train because we have hills to climb. Now that same person is complaining about a finishers T-shirt

Whew! Be careful what you post in case it haunts you months later. I think that was partly tongue in cheek and partly out of boredom with the round and round of people complaining the event was no longer the same because it was now really successful and was just about making money.

If that offended you I apologise.

Hahahaha!!! Did you at least also get a beer and chicken with your T-shirt like at a standard political rally??

We got way more than that. Spur burger, ice cream, cup of Coke, some watermelon, coffee. You did have to buy the beer, otherwise if would have been a full on conference.

The shirt is what it is for this year. I can't change that, but I do believe it means quite a lot to people who have completed the race. Many of the athletes compete in this event as a journey of six months or more, often facing difficult challenges to get to that finish line. I remember my first finishers shirt and see the pride in others when they wear their's.

Last year's shirt was really poor. Probably was one of the reasons that KSwiss was replaced with Merrell as the apparel sponsor. 5150 produced an awesome shirt. Paul Woolf specifically said the shirts this year would be better on his live chat sessions.

I did not come on here and make an anonymous rant. I tracked down the sponsor, in spite of them not being very public with their contact details. I gave them my honest, possibly strong worded, feedback. I felt the response was wishy washy. Possibly if others provide similar feedback, they will not see this as the singular rant of an unreasonable person but reflecting a general unhappiness.

Merrell was branded all over the event and probably paid good money for that privilege. They placed their brand on the shirt. It certainly was not a good advert for the many excellent products they do sell. If they do not know how people feel about the shirt, they will just do the same next year. As a result they are not maximising the return on their sponsorship investment and that is not good for the event.

I am about to pay next years, significantly increased, entry fee. I hope we all get a much better finishers shirt next year which we can where with pride over and over again.

Dave you have a right to complain/rant. I agree with you if you feel the shirts are crap let someone know.

What I do not agree with though. You are skipping Ironman out of this problem. Why? You didn't pay Merrel for your finishers shirt you paid IMSA.

There was a thread open about Ironman 2014. Many discussed their views on the new course and the new amount of people that would be taking part this year and your words were go train you have hills to climb. So what makes one rant different to another is my question to you.

It's a Friggin shirt!!! Throw it away, Like a medal Who cares!!!

If i do a stage race wherever, I dont want the clothing or medals, I did the ride, thats all that matters, I don't need a shirt to parade around in through the malls, the people there also don't give a **** whats on your T...!!!!

You have to remember that the 70.3 is like the Comrades for a lot of people and bragging rights is very important. I mean some oke's have their km's ridden and podiums achieved on their Hub avatars as an example. A finisers T-shirt is serious business. Its the one of the only few things that you will ever wear that was earned. :w00t:

I never wear the T-shirts, but gave mine to a supporter who was freezing in the rain while I was making my way to a hot shower.

Not a fan of finisher T shirts in principle, but quite like some of the Mountain Biking finishe jackets (sani etc). The golden rule here is the simpler the better. A small reference to the race and "finisher" is enough. Not screaming "look what I did!!!"

Having said that, I quite enjoyed stopping next to a bakkie in Riviersonderend and 3 old balies got out all proudly wearing their T shirts on Monday.

Edited by gadget

I never wear the T-shirts, but gave mine to a supporter who was freezing in the rain while I was making my way to a hot shower.

Not a fan of finisher T shirts in principle, but quite like some of the Mountain Biking finishe jackets (sani etc). The golden rule here is the simpler the better. A small reference to the race and "finisher" is enough. Not screaming "look what I did!!!"

Having said that, I quite enjoyed stopping next to a bakkie in Riviersonderend and 3 old balies got out all proudly wearing their T shirts on Monday.

Haha and some of them also wears the hat, plakkies and the rubberbands they hand out at the expo...

Dave you have a right to complain/rant. I agree with you if you feel the shirts are crap let someone know.

What I do not agree with though. You are skipping Ironman out of this problem. Why? You didn't pay Merrel for your finishers shirt you paid IMSA.

There was a thread open about Ironman 2014. Many discussed their views on the new course and the new amount of people that would be taking part this year and your words were go train you have hills to climb. So what makes one rant different to another is my question to you.

I did copy Ironman on my mail to Merrell. No response from them. I had hoped that you would understand my logic about improving next year's shirt. Sort of a consumer activism thing.

As to the second part, please see above. I think you are just trying to bait me now.

The quality of the T-shirt is important. I paid for it. I don't want something to wipe the floor with. If they cannot provide a proper shirt, then leave it out and put 10 x GU gels in its place. Or leave the shirt and give me the option of downloading 2 x pictures for free. Point is the shirt is a waste of (my) money.

Haha and some of them also wears the hat, plakkies and the rubberbands they hand out at the expo...

We saw a few guys still wearing the hairbands from the run laps on Monday. I think it is cool that people are proud of a big achievement in their lives.

We saw a few guys still wearing the hairbands from the run laps on Monday. I think it is cool that people are proud of a big achievement in their lives.

@Davem I am still wearing my Midlands Rubber bands to remind me of catching you on the run :clap: :blush: