The Classics

T-Bob

Rain is forecasted for Tour of Flanders.

:-O

Attacks over through the mud and over the cobblestones... Looking forward to it!

BTW. I assume Supersport are once again not showing this great race?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sagan is in top form currently.

after watching the highlights of yesterdays stage, he pulled away from everyone on a small 700m climb with a gradient not great than 5%. only a team mate on his wheel managed to hang on.

Terpstra had to close the gap after loosing the wheel and man did he battle.

We are in for some awesome racing in this years classics.

Sagan is in top form currently.

after watching the highlights of yesterdays stage, he pulled away from everyone on a small 700m climb with a gradient not great than 5%. only a team mate on his wheel managed to hang on.

Terpstra had to close the gap after loosing the wheel and man did he battle.

We are in for some awesome racing in this years classics.

Sagan was masterful with Gatto

Imperiously, breaking away on that climb and chasing down the break to set up a Cannondale victory

With such ease though as if he's barely breathing

GO SAGAAAAAN

Twiggo to ride Flanders and Roubaix. Twiggy hasn't done Ronde since 2005... Cobbles and wet, lets see how that goes for him.

Sky: Ronde

Boasson Hagen

Thomas

Eisel

Knees

Rasch

Puccio

Sir Wiggins

Rowe

Sky: Roubaix & Scheldeprijs

Boasson Hagen

Eisel

Knees

Rasch

Puccio

Sir Wiggins

Rowe

Sutton

Edited by hellocolour

Tour of Flanders is up next, so I thought I'd write a little ode to one of the all-time legendary bergs of the northern classics, the Koppenberg.

“Love or loathe the Koppenberg – and it has its share of detractors – this 600m upturned mogul run in the west of Belgium occupies a unique place in professional cycling: whatever the year or the weather, and however much training methods and technology evolve, this is the only climb on earth where you’re as likely to see the worlds best cyclists get off and walk as grind to the top”.

Mountain High: Europe’s greatest cycle climbs, By Daniel Friebe and Pete Goding

post-22004-0-71849100-1396449458_thumb.jpg

Who's Sky's number 1 for this big race?

EBH and Gee-T. Sir Twiggy is being drafted in after Stannards crash and has been off training on his own somewhere for Roubaix. Gee is in good form with a 3rd @ E3.

EBH and Gee-T. Sir Twiggy is being drafted in after Stannards crash and has been off training on his own somewhere for Roubaix. Gee is in good form with a 3rd @ E3.

Oraait.

Makes sense.

:thumbup:

In 1976 the Koppenberg premiered on the Tour of Flanders, and brought with it the undignified spectacle of the great Eddy Merckx staggering to the top, bike over his shoulder. And after years of complaints and near misses, in 1987 it all came to a head when the Dane Jesper Skibby, who was leading the race by 10 seconds at the time, lost momentum halfway up the climb and veered from the right hand gully into the centre of the road. The race directors car hit him as he drifted left, then drove over his bike and up the road. That was the last straw for this truly infamous berg and it was cut from the race.

Some folks still call the Koppenberg the 'Skibbenberg' after that notorious day.

post-22004-0-56429400-1396449532_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-26532800-1396449567_thumb.jpg

But a fanatical core of supporters for this climb couldn’t let it go. So through the 1990’s they repaired those devilish cobbles, one by one, and the road was widened and many of the worst ruts filled in.

“And so, finally, in 2002, the Koppenberg made its return, not without a little trepidation on the part of the riders and the organisers.”

But by 2006 the cobbles had deteriorated again, to the point that local star Phillipe Gilbert failed to get to the top in a pre-race recce, and on race day that year on 2 riders in the breakaway and 7 from the main peloton made it to the top on their bikes. So it was cut once again for 2007.

The reason why it's so difficult is that the cobbles are all over the place with often wide muddy gaps in between and the middle section of the climb reaches 22% gradient. It's difficult to get up on a mountain bike.

post-22004-0-65967400-1396449735_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-24137500-1396449749_thumb.jpg