First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

I didn't want to do this, but you guys - all of you - leave me no choice. Please witness the absurdity of an internet fight fuelled by carefully, as well as not so carefully worded comments.

I can go on like this all day. There is a Python for every occasion

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this about right? Vince ,Duane ,Johno and Richard got together and decided that they were not happy with the state of affairs in tokai and after some discussion phoned Meurant and requested that a meeting be held during which a new comittee would be elected to take over/assist the work that Deon is currently doing.

No, it wasn't. It was said over a telephone conversation between 2 parties. One being Meurant. The other being a member of the "aggrieved party"

Someone asked who requested the moratorium. I obliged. Meurant was not the requestor - he was the granter of said moratorium.

that is surely not enough grounds to stop works...especially not based on a telephone call and no written documentation.

I would never be able to ask a contractor to do or cease any works in my line of work without a written instruction.

that is surely not enough grounds to stop works...especially not based on a telephone call and no written documentation.

I would never be able to ask a contractor to do or cease any works in my line of work without a written instruction.

Yeha, but then you have proper written contracts in place, so that is slightly different. You CAN kick off a contractor, can't you? Or you can ask him to stop for a moment given a new detail / concept in the design.

Same sorta thing, except in this case all that is needed is a call and an agreement. The discussions and politics behind the scenes are what made it really possible.

Wasn't a meeting, it was a t/c

I believe you may be very well, misquoting, either what was said or who said what to who.

"if there's any more building in Tokai before the 18th then there'll be trouble"

Yeha, but then you have proper written contracts in place, so that is slightly different. You CAN kick off a contractor, can't you? Or you can ask him to stop for a moment given a new detail / concept in the design.

Same sorta thing, except in this case all that is needed is a call and an agreement. The discussions and politics behind the scenes are what made it really possible.

Who is the person that made that phone call, what power does this person have to call a cease works order?

I believe you may be very well, misquoting, either what was said or who said what to who.

"if there's any more building in Tokai before the 18th then there'll be trouble"

I did say "something along the lines of" - which generally means that the text inside the quote cannot be guaranteed to be entirely accurate. And no, I was not next to the telephone when the person made the call... Nor was I the person on the other end...

Oh - Edit: The only people who can attest to the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the quote which is not a quote are the 2 parties involved. Meurant and the other person. Neither of whom are Hub members.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

I did say "something along the lines of" - which generally means that the text inside the quote cannot be guaranteed to be entirely accurate. And no, I was not next to the telephone when the person made the call... Nor was I the person on the other end...

Ah ... so "bos telefoon" could be a bit of an issue here? ........ and I am saying "could"

Ah ... so "bos telefoon" could be a bit of an issue here? ........ and I am saying "could"

Could, yeah. But the end result is the same. Someone called Meurant, and told him that they wanted a moratorium on any and all work in Tokai until the 18th. That prevented us doing some planned maintenance and safety alterations to a bit of trail where the DH & XC trails crossed. Over the past few weeks/months/years (but more increasingly lately) there have been quite a few close calls there.

Plus - to call a moratorium on EVERYTHING? What motive? Why?

Argh. So much drama!

You know what, things were working out so nicely towards the end of yesterday.

Now *%^&% guys are taking things super personal!!1

I apologise for my part in it, I just ask questions that I think need answering or clarifying.

Could, yeah. But the end result is the same. Someone called Meurant, and told him that they wanted a moratorium on any and all work in Tokai until the 18th. That prevented us doing some planned maintenance and safety alterations to a bit of trail where the DH & XC trails crossed. Over the past few weeks/months/years (but more increasingly lately) there have been quite a few close calls there.

Plus - to call a moratorium on EVERYTHING? What motive? Why?

Argh. So much drama!

The moratorium was agreed at the meeting last week AFAIK

TokaiMTB is AMArider affiliated. It allows for cases like these, especially since they are invloved in discussions with the landowner. They have a stake in Tokai.

TokaiMTB is autonomous in it's operation, the boss is essentially SANParks, sort of. There are many levels of control. I have been setting up the TokaiMTB maintenance crew. It is vital that there is a team who can respond to everyday issues, especially after we have completed through contracted labour for the construction of the ultimate vision for the trails. Maintenance, I'm sure I don't have to go into detail.

Until now the low level maintenance includes, lifting severely eroded trail levels, shoring trails, rebuilding existing features with clay, realignments (through public participation and commenting, example the DH line - plenty input there from the public.)

TokaiMTB however is also responsible for meeting both Parks and pulic requirements for safety. The public suggests, TokaiMTB presents and a common ground is found with Parks that leaves all happy until the next revision. These should be ongoing as riders skills progress. The DH is a good example of progression. Xc riders are trying things they may never get to do in other more qualified parks, this is good for the sport.

There is the insurance aspect of what TokaiMTB does. The affiliation with AMArider currently offers this.

The committee would oversee what work is done, standards, designs, trail proposals (although this becomes a higher level discussion with public and TMMTB forum in case of disagreement). There is a funding group which oversees the funds and TokaiMTB applies for the funds via proposals, per year/per project a detail to be clarified.

Lots of value and needed for an all round progression. It's not all just about building.

You know what, things were working out so nicely towards the end of yesterday.

Now *%^&% guys are taking things super personal!!1

I apologise for my part in it, I just ask questions that I think need answering or clarifying.

The moratorium was agreed at the meeting last week AFAIK

Then I have conflicting information. The build day was still going ahead as of last week Thursday (when I met with Deon) on Friday it had been called off. Deon was at the meeting with Meurant, Rob, John'o, Richard, Vince, Gary Trepes. AFAIK the moratorium was NOT called back then, or the build day would never have been confirmed.

As for the personal stuff, I don't think so. I think a few people are still working through their feelings on this, being only 3 days old and all that. There is probably a lot of misunderstood sentiment here as well, as well as things that could have been said / portrayed / put across in an entirely better way so as to avoid this SNAFU that it's turned in to.

At the end of the day, the AGM is happening, changes are going to be made, but the head stakeholder is going to remain the same and the challenges will remain as they are today. No change in the procedure that MUST be followed, or the work that needs to be done. No change on the restrictions imposed or the conditions we (as trailbuilders - I'm including ALL of us here) have to abide by.

As for questions - no such thing as a bad question (as Marko35s said recently) and we can only argue / answer / debate / discuss as best we can. If a bit of emotion creeps in, we're only human. I only hope that the new committee (whoever they are) can retain the good relationship with Parks, an continue on the way that the park was ultimately going to go to - an MTB destination. Which was Sandra's intent, actually. To make Tokai THE MTB destination in the WC. It just takes a bit of time, and the conditions we have (soil type etc) and the red tape we have to get through means it takes that much longer...

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Thanks Deon

I dont think that the moratorium on building is such a big deal, hell its only for two weeks. It does suck for the paid labour but maybe they can make it up with Saturday rates or some thing. Anyway all this talk has made me really wanna go and do something important. So im going for a ride in tokai later.