First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

PM?

They have aired their views behind a nom de plume and expect a PM to get their real names?

Wow politics in SA just gets more amusing by the day.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PM?

They have aired their views behind a nom de plume and expect a PM to get their real names?

Wow politics in SA just gets more amusing by the day.

Ok, let's go. My name is Dave Petrie

Now everyone, REAL NAMES please.

BTW when you riding again Tim? (If you are Tim)

Ok, let's go. My name is Dave Petrie

Now everyone, REAL NAMES please.

BTW when you riding again Tim? (If you are Tim)

He is Tim

I am Myles Mayhew. But then pretty much everyone here knows that...

I guess you won't be coming on one of my France trips in 2015 then. We're doing 2 to Chamonix/Mont Blanc for those that are interested. Hehe.

I'll answer the question as best I can.

No we won't storm off in a huff. You see. We've already won. And here's the kicker. So have you.

By having an elected committee that's accountable to the riders we'll see the load being spread a bit. Deon would hopefully continue in his current role as liaison to Sanparks. We'll have a professional trail builder building trail. That professional trail builder wouldn't be able to be a member of the committee because of conflict of interest. So hopefully it would be a Bennet or a Mark Gordon.

With the contracting of a professional builder hopefully the volunteer days could become shaping and that sort of thing instead of hard labor.

The communication to the public/users should be better as one of the positions on the committee is a PR type role.

There will be better accounting for funds going in as there's a position for an accounting body/secretary. Also a set of financials would be produced so we'll all know where the money went and what it was spent on.

You see. Everybody wins.

I realize that I'm not everybody's cup of GMO free soya. So it's all good if you don't want to spend one second in my company. If I spent all my time trying to make others happy I'd never have to time to make myself happy.

I'm going to read the rest of this thread, but only given that you've missed most of the day. I am already weary..

Just reading Omega Man's post quoted by Deon, I get the feeling that some are stary eyed about what it is they think they are going to achieve. I guess the elephant in the room has not been spotted yet.

Its a nice to have the NPO

Its a nice to have "proper accounting" for donated funds. This is really so the people doing the donating can get their tax exemption letters.

its nice to have rule by the people for the people in the interests of the people...

BUT

all of those nice to haves means diddley squat if the relationship between user group and land manager sours.

What is a world class MTB trail and what does it mean to SANParks?

Answer truthfully....

- more maintenance

- more injuries recorded

- higher potential damage to the terrain with no offset (horses take a dump on the trail...)

What does the mtb community offer SANParks? Money, revenue from tickets and numbers through the gates. The higher the visitor rate the more they are compensated.

SANParks view is more mtbers riding less extreme is a win win.

a small faction of MTBers thik Tokai can be a Whistler....

Sadly they're mistaken. Tokai is Tokai. It offers what it has for the last 30 years to mountain bikers - a ride up the mountain and a ride down the mountain.

To have a "World Class Mtb Venue" in the middle of a sensitive eco system is already a really big win. To be able to ride it after hours is an extension of privilege that is not allowed anywhere else in the country nor in other parts of the world - the Welsh trails are built on forestry land not inside national parks. Some trails are in municipal woodland areas.

I feel very strongly that people need a reality check here before being sold a dummy.

We all want a "world class mtb venue in Cape Town but the reality is that we also have the privilege of living a city where you are literally surrounded by National Park. That we have access to these parks is already a massive privilege.

Thats not to say we should be complacent about what we have. We just need to recognise where our demands are in the bigger picture.

Are we demanding for more when there is nothing more to give?

Is our timing smart?

Is the infighting showing up the general weakness in the community when we really need to showing that we're strong and tightly bound.

Are we sure we want to be led down an unknown path by certain individuals who have in the past willfully built unsanctioned trails and have showed a lack of discipline when that trait above all is needed to keep our relationship with SANParks fruitful..?

hmmmmm

much to think about we have

Guest Omega Man

Seems my explanation of the current and precious dynamic has fallen on deaf ears...

I don't understand. I think my reply reinforces what you wrote.

Guest Omega Man

I'm going to read the rest of this thread, but only given that you've missed most of the day. I am already weary..

Ja sorry had a hectic day. And night. And I was up at 4 this morning working. Rough week for sure. Lets just talk face to face like we agreed by telephone. It's far too easy to misinterpret what people are trying to say on here especially in light of the passions involved.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Guys just for the record.

It's been reported by DJR that there was a souring of the relationship between Vince, Jan (The land owner at Steilte trails) and myself. Now I'm not sure where DJR got this information but I can assure you all that that is completely untrue. I'll be seeing DJR tonight hopefully and we'll chat about it I'm sure.

I had a long chat with Jan last night and asked him the question directly. He laughed at the thought. Plans are going full steam ahead with getting Steilte trails set up as mini bikepark with trails going as far down as the R44. Building has slowed for the summer but as soon as God turns on the sprinklers we'll be out there with the workers and the ticks building Enduro and DH style lines.

I can't confirm this but apparently there has been an issue with rogue riders and one of the land owners in the area and people being banned from farms so I can see where possible confusion has arisen. But that is not linked to Steilte at all.

Guest Omega Man

@ GoLefty

Thanks for that. Good comment I think. Lots to think about indeed. Are you going to join for drinks? (Deon's set a 2 beer maximum. Killjoy!)

The AGM is going to be interesting for sure. But I firmly believe it's going to be a step in the right direction no matter who does or doesn't get voted in. Being a member of that committee won't be for the faint hearted that is for sure.

If we filter out all of the white noise there's lots of positive going forward

There is money for maintenance

Deon does have a good relationship with the parks people

a committee will spread the load a bit

there's clearly a very passionate group of people who love the mountain

There's stuff happening from the Table Mountain bikers forum

It's all really good stuff and there's lots to be positive about.

BTW my name is Duane Bosch. I'm mostly on a greyish Intense Tracer and I wear one of those new Bell Super lids. Black with a white speed stripe ekse. I'm often up at Tokai.

Edited by Omega Man

I don't understand. I think my reply reinforces what you wrote.

That's just the thing Duane. Your post makes it seem as if the AGM and a new committee are the reasons that those changes / circumstances are coming or could come about. That's simply not true. The fact of the matter is that all that you wanted is actually coming. The NPO will be the singular body allowing us to report properly on the finances. The funding committee is already in place and ready to send funds through as soon as the NPO has been established. The professional trail builder is lined up for when the EMP, burn and rationalisation has been completed.

The calling of the AGM will not change those facts, nor bring them about any quicker - they're already in place, just waiting for this to blow over before being confirmed and finalised.

To say that these "breakthroughs" will happen because of the AGM and if "the right people are voted in" is disingenuous and totally misleading.

Guest Omega Man

That's just the thing Duane. Your post makes it seem as if the AGM and a new committee are the reasons that those changes / circumstances are coming or could come about. That's simply not true. The fact of the matter is that all that you wanted is actually coming. The NPO will be the singular body allowing us to report properly on the finances. The funding committee is already in place and ready to send funds through as soon as the NPO has been established. The professional trail builder is lined up for when the EMP, burn and rationalisation has been completed.

The calling of the AGM will not change those facts, nor bring them about any quicker - they're already in place, just waiting for this to blow over before being confirmed and finalised.

To say that these "breakthroughs" will happen because of the AGM and if "the right people are voted in" is disingenuous and totally misleading.

I feel my post if anything reinforced what you posted. But you're free to interpret it any way you feel fit. You'll also note it was in response to a clearly aggressive post by a first time poster. Pretty sure it was Pierre Marqua but that is an asside.

I feel my post if anything reinforced what you posted. But you're free to interpret it any way you feel fit. You'll also note it was in response to a clearly aggressive post by a first time poster. Pretty sure it was Pierre Marqua but that is an asside.

Cool. Fair enough bro. Just know that as per my long ass winded 3 volume post, it was all coming together anyway. Yes, the existing interim committee needed to be ratified, which meant the AGM needed to happen ANYWAY. But that's beside the point.

I was waiting for this, I agree with Myles. I don't feel like I can meet with this group given the circumstance around how this election has come about. I thought I could but if I read where this is going, I can't help but wonder why we needed to waste 8 months to get to where we were going anyway. Please don't anyone tell me to bury the hatchet, there is information that has not been disclosed yet, much like the information hidden behind the Tokai DH closed facebook group, there is info you don't want to present in public and information you have purposely not relayed to the group that will have serious repercussions down the line. (I can go into depth and maybe I will because GoLefty has already alluded to something that you Duane, have not considered despite me warning you, the illegal trails!). The closed Facebook page is the epitome of the challenges I have had with Vince over the last 3 years.

Duane, what would happen if you and Vince got a spot on the new committee? Would that not put us back to July when you and Vince were offered a spot on the committee anyway? And you know a committee has to be publicly ratified so that was coming. It could have avoided THIS, and the confusion you have created around who these people now need to vote for.

Why all the hostility to get something that was best for Tokai from the start?

All I can see is that you, Richard, Vince and John have had the chance to drag the efforts of those who are making a difference through the mud, when you could have trusted me and offered your guidance if that's what you feel you will be offering if you were to be voted on. Or are we just going to carry on with the disinformation behind closed doors hey Vince? The way I see it, what will be different?

Guest Omega Man

That's fine Deon. I'm not going to beg you. Vince, Richard, Johno and myself will be at Jakes tonight at 7pm. Please feel free to join us guys. I'm lifting the 2 beer maximum but leave your guns at the door please.

And just for the record. I've never built illegal trails in Tokai. The Glen yes. Tokai no. I have ridden them but so have many many others.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Cool. Fair enough bro. Just know that as per my long ass winded 3 volume post, it was all coming together anyway. Yes, the existing interim committee needed to be ratified, which meant the AGM needed to happen ANYWAY. But that's beside the point.

For sure. I had a long ass day yesterday and a late night and i was up at 4 this morning so I haven't had the time to read all the posts. I did read yours tho and for the most part agree with everything you've said there.

Edited by Omega Man